How often should I wash my hair!

Sha76

Ok, during that last month I have been working out a lot. ANd i sweat, I sweat a bit in my head and scalp area. I have relaxed hair. And I have been wearing braided back a lot lately ( 1-because it it HOT and 2- I have been putting water on it a lot jsut to cool down). I was wondering if you guys can chime in and help me.

How often should I wash my hair due to working out a lot?

And if I need to use shampoo everytime or just conditon wash?

I have been wonderig this because usually after one day the sweat in my hair stinks and itches.

I also work out a lot, and wash my hair once a week or twice a month depending on the style. But sweat from working out doesn't bother me much.

You could maybe wash twice a week if you think its necessary, but I wouldn't wash any more frequently than that with shampoo (only with plain water).

I wash with shampoo 2x a week because my hair has started looking and performing better since doing that. But if you sweat a lot/ work out then conditioner washes work well. Some people do these every day or every other day. I love co- washing now that I have found the right conditioners to use. It softens hair and leaves scalp clean...feels great in the summer heat

Thx guys this should help out a lot.

off topic, how are you all styling your hair while working out?

I usually wear my hair in two braids to the back and they are pinned up off of my neck ( i cant stand to feel hair on my neck while working out)

I've been wearing my hair in bantu knot outs. I wash once a week and co-wash midweek. After my workout I allow my scalp time to dry, and do four bantu knots. This works well bc I don't have to do too much manipulation. I moisturize and seal and then the knots. On co-wash day I allow my hair to airdry about 90% and do the same process.

I suggest you wash your hair or at least rinse your hair after every work out. Sweat contains a lot of "salt" type products, which you do not want to allow to dry and stay on your hair. Over time, this will dry your hair out and cause breakage.

Sweat is made up of minerals and lactate(salt from lactic acid). The main mineral being sodium...so I suggest co washing often and at a minimum rinsing with plain water after every workout.

I would co-wash with a clarifying conditioner often. Wash with shampoo whenever you see fit (be it once a week, bi-weekly, etc.).

I suggest you wash your hair or at least rinse your hair after every work out. Sweat contains a lot of "salt" type products, which you do not want to allow to dry and stay on your hair. Over time, this will dry your hair out and cause breakage.

Sweat is made up of minerals and lactate(salt from lactic acid). The main mineral being sodium...so I suggest co washing often and at a minimum rinsing with plain water after every workout.

I agree with this! Gotta get that sweat off. I don't think anyone can really tell you how often or with what YOU should wash your hair with it's something you have to experiment with. Try different combinations. Maybe rinse daily, or every other day, mix cowashes in there and shampoo 1x or more per week. When I first came here I found that a lot of people were washing weekly so that's what I did but it wasn't enough for me personally. I use shampoo every other day but that works very well for me and though that may be frowned upon around here I had to experiment for myself.

I work out everyday. I only co-wash once or twice a week and shampoo every 2 weeks. I'm not so sure about sweat breaking off MY hair. I've been doing sports all of my life and I washed my hair once a month. My hair has been long and thick all my life so I don't think sweat is that detrimental to hair. Now I just co-wash more often just because I want to.

Back