• Once every 3 weeks

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Once a month

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • other

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
When I first went natural, I rinsed or cowashed daily. 3 years later, my hair couldn't handle all of that anymore, so I moved it to every 2-3 days. Now I rinse/cowash/poo 1-2x week, usually 2. I only wash that often because my style gets old and I lose a lot of hair when I try to restyle on dry hair. I didn't wash for 2 weeks when I had my hair straightened, and I loved it. The joy of getting my hair wet daily crosses my mind from time to time, but now I hate styling my hair and waiting for it to dry :lol:.

Since I started wearing wigs this January, I wash 1 time every 2 months. I've retained all 3 1/2 inches of my growth too.

Really? how do you do it? Doesn't your scalp itch after like week 2? I am so surprised by this esp. since you're wearing a wig and not a weave.

I'm hiding my hair at the mo. I wash 1x per month.

I used to wash 2x per week, but find I get maximum retention this way, so will stick with 3 weeks-ish until I reach my goal.

I have very dry hair after wash day, so at the one week point my hair is still dry as hell anyway. I don't put anything on my scalp.

Really? how do you do it? Doesn't your scalp itch after like week 2? I am so surprised by this esp. since you're wearing a wig and not a weave.

Holla My hair is corn-rolled in a spiral design around my head. Once a day I moisturize my braids with Shea Moisture's curl enhancing smoothie, then seal that in with Treasured Locks' African argan oil elixir.

I'm not a heavy sweater and I don't have a problem with itching.

I take my wigs off as soon as I get home in the afternoon and I don't sleep in them. I sleep with a satin cap at night.

There is buildup on my scalp by the end of the two months (as to be expected) but not a ton since I focus on moisturizing my braids, not my scalp.

I'm not sure how this is working for me, but I can assure you that it most definitely has been working.

ETA:
I went and looked at the Stagnant Scalp thread LOL! My scalp certainly does not have yeast or mold and my hair has continued to grow the typical 1/2 inch per month.

Last edited:
I can't really vote because I have two different wash regimen's. When I wear natural styles I wash once a week and with rollerset hair every 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

People are so dramatic; I just read that thread :giggle: Once a week, I'm not really interested in anymore than that. Two if I don't feel like it. My newest conditioner allows my hair to stay moisturized that long.

Must read that stagnant thread!

I've gone back to doing a chelating/clarifying shampoo 1-2x a month. I've found more than that with any shampoo and my hair breaks off (free of cones, sulfate, parabens--doesnt matter--my hair hates it).

The rest of the time, I will cowash ~2x a week and do an ayurvedic cleansing 1x a week. My hair stays on my head this way.

Shampoo once a week, not always on the same day. So it could be 4 days or 10 days in between

Cowash a few times between shampoos.

It's probably a good idea to consider the product usage and what types of products people are using.

Heavier butters and oils may result in more frequent washings and/or sulfate shampoos versus non-sulfate or alternative scalp cleansing methods. :-)

Every 2 weeks works for me. If I need to I'll wash more often, but 2 weeks is my normal. I only use light oil on my ends between washes.

I normally wash whenever I feel necessary - like after swimming or whenever my hair gets too dirty from things getting in it lol. I don't go longer than a week without washing though.

Washing and styling my hair takes hours so after my hair got past chin length washing more often than 1x a week was far too time consuming.

When my hair is loose I wash once per week. After this proctective hair challenge is over I think I will focus on getting this to once every 2 weeks. Sacrificing half a day or more for my hair weekly is too much.

When in twists, I cowash every 2 weeks in twists and do a full wash once a month. In between I will do ACV rinses.

I'm not sure how to answer the poll, but I shampoo 1-2x per week, co-wash maybe 2-3x a week and rinse with water only on the other days. Basically my hair is "washed" daily in some way, but not sure if the poll refers to shampooing only.

Also I use Cantu shea butter and ors olive oil daily for moisture, seal with my coconut/argan oil mix and style with Fantasia gel. My products aren't too heavy but the gel will leave build up so I like to rinse it out for a fresh start the next day.

About twice a week. Shampoo at least once a week and cowash or use a cleansing conditioner the other time.

Ill look for that thread.

Once a week, every Saturday like clock work lol. But I just relaxed last Wednesday so will be waiting until Saturday to wash so this week a week and three day but normal schedule is once a week

Once every 2 weeks with protective styles. With my hair in a twistout its once a week. My wash days take up half my day so until I find a quicker process this will be my regimen.

I wash once every two weeks. On wash day hair is detangled w/ water, put into plaits, co-washed then deep conditioned for 20min, sectioned and two strand twisted. I wear twists for a week and moisturize as needed during that week. After the 1st week is over I undo the twists an wear a twist out for the rest of the week.

I tried washing once a week and it honestly it just didn't work for me. Both as a hair issue and time (it takes forever to get all this done).

Switching to a once every two week schedule is better for my hair and my sanity LOL.

Back