how not to get oily hair with oils

Napp

Ms. Nobody
ok this may seem like a very BASIC question:look: but i cannot figure out how to use oils on wet hair and not get extremely oily hair when dry. i tried using a castor oil mix on my braid out today and i started off using just a teeny bit. it felt like i added nothing which is odd because castor oil is so thick. so i kept applying until i felt a difference. my hair felt so smooth and looked really shiny and soft. it also felts very moisturized. so after my hair dried i have really nice soft hair but now when i touch its like gushers! my braids are bursting with castor oil everywhere :sad: how do i avoid this? ive had this issue with avocado butter and coconut oil as well:ohwell:

With oils it is very easy to go overboard. I use coconut oil on my hair and am very light with it focusing on my ends and edges. You don't need to be able to feel the oil to get its benefits because if you can feel it you probably used too much.

Castor oil is water soluble, so even on damp hair you still have to use it sparingly. I load my castor oil into a pump bottle, so I try to use about 1/2 a pump per section of hair if I want to simply add a thin layer of oil or a full pump if I want to completely saturate my hair for pre-poos.

So here is what I have learned, when you twist or braid hair, use it sparingly as the manipulation of the hair will allow the oil to do its thing overnight without super saturating (and giving that oil slick feeling).

I highly recommend using a pump bottle tho as it makes it easier to for you judge the amount of oil for even distribution.

This was a funny question, my entertainment for the night---gushers?! Ha. But seriously, since castor oil is so thick, a little really goes a long way. i've had those same results where the pillow was see thru in the morning. I had to tweak the amount I was using so it just enuff

Back