How much would you pay?

NYCQT16

Natural Again
..to get a touch-up? This might've been discussed already, but I just called one of the salons I saw on the salon discussion board and she quoted me a price of $90 for a touch-up, deep conditioning & trim. The lady seemed very nice, fair, suggested I get various consultations and seemed to be in tune with the type of hair values like we have on this board. I kinda would like to go but $90!!!! Tell me what ya'll think...

I've paid that before with a $10 tip. It isn't unreasonable, but I think you can probably find somewhere for a better price. However, you may not get the same quality of stylist.

7.99 from teh BSS and put it in myself. thats BS to charge ppl 50-90 bucks for some relaxer that doesnt even cost half that price.

I pay $60, but I go to a 'round the way salon. I have paid that amount before when I've gone to a more upscale place. I don't think it's unreasonable, but you can definitely find something cheaper.

[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:
7.99 from teh BSS and put it in myself. thats BS to charge ppl 50-90 bucks for some relaxer that doesnt even cost half that price.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honeydrop, I'm totally with u on this one! I self relaxed too /images/graemlins/cool.gif But to be honest, I wouldn't buy my "boxed perm" unless it was on sale for $4.99! Even though I'm natural now, I still have a problem paying over $5 bucks for hair products... (( yeah, I'M CHEAP!.... I mean frugal ))

[ QUOTE ]
foxybronx said:
I don't and won't pay more than $55.00!! $45.00 for touchup and $5.00 for the deep conditioner...plus $5 tip

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup! What she said.

I was shocked to see how much relaxers cost when I had to start getting them done professionally. My mother said I had too much hair so she didnt want to relax me anymore...(her hair is extremely short and she detests long hair). My hair was not that long.....but to hair, she had a rough time doing it. I have paid anywhere from aobut $30 to $70 for a relaxer from the salon....the best ones I got were the $30 ones...heh

[ QUOTE ]
Peachtree said:
[ QUOTE ]
honeydrop215 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Honeydrop, I'm totally with u on this one! I self relaxed too /images/graemlins/cool.gif But to be honest, I wouldn't buy my "boxed perm" unless it was on sale for $4.99! Even though I'm natural now, I still have a problem paying over $5 bucks for hair products... (( yeah, I'M CHEAP!.... I mean frugal ))

[/ QUOTE ]

Peachtree, I'm cheap too! /images/graemlins/smile.gif For 8 years I've been charged $60 & up for touch up's but the money didn't come out of my pocket so it didn't bother me as much. However, now that I'm on a tight budget (college student) I really hate paying too much for anything now, especially hair products and a box perm (now that I self relax). I agree with you that $4.99 is a fair price to pay for a box perm and not a penny more!

[ QUOTE ]
KAddy said:
I've paid that before with a $10 tip. It isn't unreasonable, but I think you can probably find somewhere for a better price. However, you may not get the same quality of stylist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a typo or did you really mean to say that this is not UN-reasonable. I think its absolutely absurd and ridiculous to ever pay this amount of money for a relaxer. Unless maybe you are a celebrity or high profile and you got it like that. Its unnecessary with so many places around for a heck of a lot less that do the same thing and do it well. Higher prices does not always mean that they know what they are doing.

I used to pay $85. for my relaxers. $110 when I had waist-length hair. Now, my friend puts them in for me for free. I think I like "free" the best! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

The most I would pay would be 75.00, but of course I don't have to worry about that--do them myself now. I would research other salons in the area, or maybe a little bit outside the area to make sure that I am getting the best deal. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

The most I would pay is $45 (that's what I pay for a touch-up, trim, deep condition & style).. but if my stylist raised her prices, I'd still pay it because it's so HARD to find a good hairdresser.

the more i read about these prices..the more i realize i had a "PEARL" of a hairdresser while i was relaxed. the most i ever paid her was $50 and that included that tip.

My stylist at home I pay 75-80 and im a discount because im a student and thats trim, touch up, and colorshine.

Here in la I pay 55 touch up plus 15-20 colorshine. I don't even like the job that they do, but my hair has never fallen out so I don't trip. I don't like her styling skills, but as far as applying the relaxer its coo.

-faye

90 dollars??? i've never paid over 30 for a relaxer. then again maybe thats why i was NEVER satisfied with the results.good thing i do it myself now, aint no way im paying that much for someone to relax my hair every 3 months. i'm a broke college student.i need the money for hair products.

I really could not afford $90 every few months comfortably. The more I think about it, the more I think I will not go that route. Maybe when I'm a big baller /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

i've never paid to get a touch-up...always had my mom do them. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

if i had to pay for a touch-up, i would think $20 was a reasonable price. i can't believe it when i hear $50 or more for a relaxer. i guess it's because im not a fan of salons. /images/graemlins/look.gif

$20... I don't know of any salon that charges less that $35 for a touch up!!! It would be a deal if they did!!!

[ QUOTE ]
lovechic said:
$20... I don't know of any salon that charges less that $35 for a touch up!!! It would be a deal if they did!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif i know /images/graemlins/clap.gif

45.99 for a 4-pack of Mizani Sensitive Scalp. I relax over a period of a few days, so I use two per. That works our to $23.00 for the relaxer, another 1.00 for the amount of neut shampoo and conditioner I use. $24.00 to do it myself.
I don't think I will ever darken the door of a salon EVER again.

I pay 100 bucks plus 15 bucks in tips. I don't make a stink about it because I love my stylist and I love the way my hair comes out.

Well, I like that she seems to be on the right page. I have paid that much when I lived in the Bay Area before, and I would probably pay that much again, depending on the circumstances. I don't think it's insane, because some places will charge you $10 for a deep conditioner and $15 for a trim, so it's almost like a $65 relaxer, which is not the craziest thing I've heard before...in fact, far from it;

HOWEVER,

when I did pay that much, I was thinking, "What the...? This looks no difference from a $35 relaxer from a Dominican shop." Also, while in some places, that amount might make sense, but in NYC, I would never.

I usually pay $50 for a touch up at my home salon. The most I ever paid elsewhere was $70 and I believe part of that went toward service amenities (gorgeous salon, punctual stylists, etc.) Maybe that is where part of the $90 is going toward? There is no way a relaxer can cost that much alone.

Back