How much washing is too much washing?

Fine 4s

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/author/tonyamckay

Coconut oil and improved resistance to wash-wear

The presence of coconut oil inside the cortex of hair provides multiple benefits. It acts as a plasticizer to soften the hair and provide more flexibility and toughness. Coconut oil also increases retention of keratin molecules within the hair shaft, which reduces protein erosion that normally occurs during wash cycles. Continuous loss of protein over time from routine washing damages hair and can result in color fading, split ends, and breakage, so anything that can moderate this phenomenon is beneficial.
An additional advantage to coconut oil inside the hair shaft is that it decreases the amount of swelling of the hair shaft that normally occurs when immersed in water. Normally, when hair is saturated with water during the washing process, it absorbs up to 30% or more of its weight in water. This causes each strand to swell considerably, which can lead to several undesirable effects. Increasing the diameter of the hair shaft causes the outer covering of cuticle scales to lift and separate, which increases tangling and breakage. But, perhaps more subtle, is the damage done over time from many cycles of expansion and contraction.
Hair is a highly complex biomaterial composed of layers of differing materials, ranging from varying types of keratin structures to pigment molecules to fatty acids. When it is saturated with water and swells and then subsequently dries via natural or thermal means, it undergoes what is known as differential drying and differential deformation (because each separate type of molecule within the overall structure dries and deforms at differing rates). This leads to moisture-induced stress on the hair, which can lead to delamination (cuticle layer stripping off), breakage, fiber fatigue, and rupture (split ends). This whole phenomenon is referred to as hygral fatigue. So, anything that reduces hygral fatigue is great for the health of your hair in the long term.

Yay coconut oil!

ok I feel silly for asking but,

how do you get coconut oil inside the cortex??

I have and love coconut oil (for eating) but I never found a method that worked for use in my hair.

I'm on my phone now so I can't read the link now.

ok I feel silly for asking but,

how do you get coconut oil inside the cortex??

I have and love coconut oil (for eating) but I never found a method that worked for use in my hair.

I'm on my phone now so I can't read the link now.
Don't feel silly.....I was going to ask the same thing.

Would placing coconut oil on your hair and using heat get it inside the cortex? Heat, as in a hot towel, steaming, hair dryer? Would you do this before or after shampooing.

Ive read that water and coconut oil were the only substances with molecules small enough that they can actually penetrate the cortex it should penetrate just from applying it the same way water penetrates. I have Spectrum Organic Coconut Oil and I love it it's not heavy and has a pleasant scent. I use it to seal, sometimes to prepoo, and also mix it with my DC's (talk about soft hair). Also its great for the skin I try to remember to rub it on my pregnant belly each night.

Last edited:
basically, coconut oil is the best oil to use for sealing? i've yet to try it. i was really trying to use up other product but i may cave in.

I read a thread recently where the poster dipped her ends into warm/hot coconut oil and got amazing results. I guess you could cover the hair with hot oil and a plastic cap to get the same results. This thread makes me want to try it :scratchch :yep:

Coconut oil makes my hair hard :ohwell:. Tried it so many ways and it's a no go for me. Too bad because I would love to benefit from it but it just makes my hair so dry and hard to the point it feels unhealthy.

Coconut oil makes my hair hard :ohwell:. Tried it so many ways and it's a no go for me. Too bad because I would love to benefit from it but it just makes my hair so dry and hard to the point it feels unhealthy.

I agree with this. I have learned that coconut oil is a no-no for my hair. It becomes a hard, tangled mess after using coconut oil and I've tried using it several different ways. :wallbash:

Back