How much was your coconut oil?

Mocha1111

How much did you pay for your coconut oil? I found 16 ounces of unrefined, pure coconut oil for $2.99 at an Indian Grocers. I thought that was exellent given that I've seen it as high as $15 at health food stores. I think I got a great deal. I also purchased some Dabur Vatika hair oil that I can't wait to try.

I've paid $6.19 for 15oz refined and $6.14 for 14oz of organic refined coconut oil from a health food store. I KNOW I'm paying wayyy too much, but I haven't had time to go to other stores to purchase. That's a good price...$2.99.

I bought mine at an asian bss for either $2.99, $3.29, or $3.99. It was called African Angel Coconut Oil.

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
I bought mine at an asian bss for either $2.99, $3.29, or $3.99. It was called African Angel Coconut Oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that kind too...it also contains essentials oils or something. I love the way it smells! I paid $3.99 for it I believe from a asian bss.

I got a 4 oz container at an Indian grocer for 2.89. I didn't want to invest into the bigger one until I new I liked it.

Mocha, I think you'll love coconut oil! I know I do! lol!It makes your hair so soft and manageable!

Anyhoway, I got my coconut oil from natureswildchild.com I got the Virgin Oil Coco de Creme. It's extracted from fresh coconut milk and it costs $9.12 for 16 oz.

$3.00/16oz pure..even smells yech like the kind people of east indian decent in Trinidad make at home and becomes semisolid at room temp. at the indian grocery in Jackson Heights queens the Alma was 4.00And to think that girls who used coconut oil in their hair in school were made fun of.Even though they all had braids past their butts.It just made them look greasy and dirty cause they would be hot and it would eventually smell racid.( sorry for hijacking the post)
ohwell.gif
I guess their old Indian grandmothers knew what they were doing.

Yeah..the unrefined, coconut oil doesn't smell to hot. Would it be ok to add an essential oil to it to improve the smell. If so, would eo would you recommend?

Caramel, thanks for the link.

I paid 3.19 at a local indian store for about 8-10 oz. I didnt care for the smell over much, though it does wonders for my skin and hair. I thought it was Pacific brand but its Parachute brand.

I ordered Virgin Oil de Coco-Crème from natureswildchild.com at another members suggestion but I havent received it yet. According to the site and the member it smells "divine". We'll see. Its 9.12 for 16.0z. You can get 8 oz for 5 bucks, but the 16 is slightly cheaper, especially with S&H.

I plan on getting some tomorrow.
As far as unpleasant smells of oils or butters, you can always dilute it with an essential oil (like lavendar). It gives the oil more hair/skin benefits and a great smell!

you can add sweet almond oil(mines is lavender scented) or jojoba oil. I usually apply my oil at nite at plastic cap it overnite.

Wow, I've been hearing some seriously good reviews about coconut oil. A friend of mine thinks it's even better on your hair than olive oil. Matter of fact, she uses coconut oil on her hair exclusively now. In her own words, she cured her "product junkie disease" with one product!
laugh.gif

Y'all have gotten me inspired to try coconut oil. I'm gonna try to find it locally first since I don't like using my credit card online.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
IrisDaVirus said:
A friend of mine thinks it's even better on your hair than olive oil. Matter of fact, she uses coconut oil on her hair exclusively now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely. When I conditioner wash, detangle my hair with Biolage tonic, add coconut oil, and rollerset, I get very shiny smooth results.

My 16 oz jar of Garden of Life coconut oil cost ~$12 at Whole Foods.
shocked.gif
Maybe I could do better shopping the ethnic food aisle of a non-health food store?

I use the Virgin Oil Coco de Creme also from Nature's Wild Child! I love the smell and it's the only one I use!!

I get a huge tub from Wal-Mart....it is like 2 something, I get it in the cooking oil section!

YAY! I found some coconut oil at a health food grocery not too far from my house. I found it at River City Nutrition, #8 Grandview Plaza in Florissant, MO. It's a 15 oz jar for just under $7.00. Not bad at all!
wink.gif

BTW - The product brand is Spectrum Essentials.

[ QUOTE ]
honey_jammz82 said:
I get a huge tub from Wal-Mart....it is like 2 something, I get it in the cooking oil section!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I just saw that yesterday...that big 32 oz tub of coconut oil for $2.96 or something. I found some the other day for $2.99 for 15 oz and thought that was a deal compared to what I've been paying!

*bumping to avoid another coconut oil thread*

I am REALLY loving coconut oil! I use it on my hair every single day...which of course, means that I am running through my Spectrum brand of Coconut Oil that costs $5.69 for a 15oz. I saw a HUGE jar of coconut oil at Walmart for about $2.69. I read the ingredients and it just says "coconut oil" - not unrefined or refined or virgin. Is this just as good to use on my hair?

I brought 2 16oz jars from Puritan Pride for $6.19 each. It is extra virgin unrefined coconut oil and it smells so good. It is great for softening the new grow especially it you extend your retouch ups.

hairlove, if it smells like coconuts, I would say that it's safe to use.
smile.gif
If it smells like anything other than coconuts, R-U-N!!!
laugh.gif

Hairlove, I've used both a food grade and non food grade coconut oil on my hair and I've gotten the same results. So, yes it is safe to use on your hair. I know exactly what big tub you're talking about too. I'll be getting some as soon as I run out
smile.gif

I bought the LouAnna coconut oil from Wal-Mart, which is odorless. It was $2.98 for about a 32oz. tub. I suppose it's not the best coconut oil in the world, but I'm still going to use it. I get my Goya coconut milk from Wal-Mart, too.
up.gif

Back