How much oil do you use when you do an oil rinse?

sparkle25

I'm going to try oil rinses as my hair doesn't like oils in any other ways.

How much oil do you use? How long do you leave it on? And what oils have you found to be good for oil rinses on your hair?

I use castor oil. It spreads nicely and works perfectly as an oil rinse b/c it is a humectant. It naturally draws water & moisture in. Because of this, I use only use a couple of drops per quadron of hair. I get a little water in my hands (from shower head) along w/the oil. I mentioned in another thread about a dime size will do it. This is all for illustration that all you need a tiny bit-- to go a long way. Some women use hand fulls of oil just like you would w/lotion. I think they have the worst experiences.

I don't think of it much different than a hot oil treatment. I will rinse.with a few tablespoons mixed with tea after washing then put my DC on top and rinse it out after DC time is done.

I use a mix of Ceramides and penetrating oils like coconut plus grapeseed. My hair loves it

I pour about 2 to 3 tablespoons full in my hand and spread. I layer on some conditioner on top to absorb any excess oil and then rinse with warm water. I tried many oils and wheat germ is the best for my hair.

I don't measure it out tbh. I have a bottle with a spout that I keep my oil in. I divide my hair in 4 sections and pour some into my palm and apply to my ends, then the length of my hair. If I had to guess, maybe I am using a little more than the size of a half dollar on each section. I leave it on about 5 minutes and rinse.

I use grapeseed oil or coconut oil.

I guess I'm the odd woman out.

I use about 1/2 an ounce per quadrant or 2oz per oil rinse. I have a 4 oz applicator bottle and it lasts two oil rinses.

For my method of oil rinsing, first I put conditioner on warm hair ~5 mins, rinse with cooler water, add my oil mix (usually amla/canola/olive oil) & leave ~5mins, then add some watered down cheapie conditioner in a downward smoothing motion and rinse it all out in cool/cold water.

I only do this when my hair is loose.

Sent using LHCF app

I divide my hair in half and use a Quarter size on each side. I use an dump bottle oil mix of castor, rice branch, jojoba, olive, etc., whatever I have on hand.

In the summer I oil rinsed and then conditioned. Now I condition and then oil rinse followed by very warm water. This keeps my hair more moisturized for winter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 2

I pour about 2 to 3 tablespoons full in my hand and spread. I layer on some conditioner on top to absorb any excess oil and then rinse with warm water. I tried many oils and wheat germ is the best for my hair.

I do this with an oil blend of my making but wheat germ oil is the base:yep:

I use a small amount of oil to cover all my hair and I add my conditioner/deep conditioner and then rinse with warm water. Olive oil and Sunflower oil mix is my oil of choice.

Last edited:
I use about 6oz's of an oil because I have thick mbl length hair...I rinse it out after it saturates my hair and it never leaves an oily/greasy residue..

I mixed a lot of oils together to clean out the stash but I love it. I have JBCO, coconut and wheat germ as the base. Jojoba, almond, vit e, sunflower and avocado mixed in too. I use about a dime size after moisturizing with a dime size of VO5. For oil rinsing, I use ALOT more oil and conditioner on dry hair, cover and get under the dryer for about 30 mins. Then rinse, wash and condition as normal.

The amount of oil I use depends on my method. I do one of the following and always rinse with warm water:
1oz/approx 3 Tbs of oils mixed in deep conditioner
2oz of oils applied directly to damp hair under conditioner
2oz of oils added to 16oz of (Ayurvedic herbs, tea or vinegar solution) final rinse

My favorite oils for rinsing are avocado, hemp, Parachute coconut, Vatika herbal coconut, moringa, Ramtirth Brahmi, neelibrigahdi, sweet almond & palm kernal

Sent from my SGH-T599N using LHCF

Last edited:
Back