How much oil? 4a/b

Cayenne0622

How much oil should I be using to seal? I'm scared I'm using too much. I moisturize in the morning and at night and I try to seal whenever I moisturize. Thankfully, I've been wearing my hair up but I can't see myself wearing my hair straight and putting so much product on a daily basis. I have relaxed 4a/b hair (I think) and it can't handle too much stuff otherwise it starts looking weighed down and greeezy! Help.

Cayenne0622 said:
How much oil should I be using to seal? I'm scared I'm using too much. I moisturize in the morning and at night and I try to seal whenever I moisturize. Thankfully, I've been wearing my hair up but I can't see myself wearing my hair straight and putting so much product on a daily basis. I have relaxed 4a/b hair (I think) and it can't handle too much stuff otherwise it starts looking weighed down and greeezy! Help.

When you say "seal" what exactly do you mean?? Call me silly, but I really don't know too much about this. Do you apply a moisturizer then an oil on your ends?:perplexed

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
When you say "seal" what exactly do you mean?? Call me silly, but I really don't know too much about this. Do you apply a moisturizer then an oil on your ends?:perplexed

Girl, I'm probably doing the whole moisturize and seal thing allllll wrong. lolol I put moisturizer on the entire length of my hair every morning and every night and then I slap oil on top of it down to the ends before I bun it up for the day or go to bed at night.

PS Thanks for responding. Help! lol

Cayenne0622 said:
Girl, I'm probably doing the whole moisturize and seal thing allllll wrong. lolol I put moisturizer on the entire length of my hair every morning and every night and then I slap oil on top of it down to the ends before I bun it up for the day or go to bed at night.

PS Thanks for responding. Help! lol

I saw your siggy and noticed that you have chin length bob, but you put a bun in it, how do you do that with such short hair? My hair is the same length and I know I can't put a bun in it, but actually I haven't tried

pink_n_green_iz_me said:
I saw your siggy and noticed that you have chin length bob, but you put a bun in it, how do you do that with such short hair? My hair is the same length and I know I can't put a bun in it, but actually I haven't tried

I don't put my actual hair in a bun. I turn my phonytail into a bun. I twist the entire length of the ponytail and then start wrapping it clockwise and I pin it. Real simple. Whenever I get my camera back from my sister I'll take some pics and post it so you can see.

I oil my hair thoroughly once a week with hair oil, and I put pomade on the ends two or three times a week.

i am 4a texlaxed. Last night I coated the ends of my hair with hollywood beauty carrot oil and then sealed with hollywood beauty castor oil. It's pretty much grease and I used a lot. I put my satin cap on and went to bed, and in the morning my hair was soft and moisturized but not greasy even though I used a lot. I think that you just have to keep experimenting until you find the right amount of product for your hair. It'll be fine as long as your hair isn't dry.

I used to moisturize the length and then seal the length morning and night. Waaayy too much grease for me! I now just moisturize and seal the ends. I rub whatever moisturizer the PJ in me is feeling at the moment between my palms and rub it over my ends. If I'm feeling particularly heavy-handed, I'll do it twice. Then I do the same thing with whatever oil the PJ in me is feeling at the moment. Only on the ends, though! The only time I moisturize the length is on wash day. So far, so good...

I am a 4a natural....I use enough oil so that my hair feels soft and moisturized but not "oily"

Oily=If someone touches my hair they end up with a oil glob on their hands...:nono:

I usually moisturize and seal with oil 1-2 per week week as needed. I usually use castor oil diluted with jojoba.

I only use a few drops of jojoba or meadowfoam oil to seal in my moisturizer. Sometimes I pour a dime sized amount into my hair but then pour it back into the bottle, just to have some coat my hair a bit, then rub my hands together and coat hair w/it, mostly on the ends. I can do this 2x a day b/c I'm not using so much.

Is this what you meant? :confused:

I really haven't used oil to seal in a hot minute. I usually use a creamy moisturizer and thats it. Maybe I need to bring out the oil again.

Back