How Much Is Too Much Residue When You Touch Your Hair?

L.Brown1114

How much is too much? Should I be able to touch my hair with no residue whatsoever? Or is a little oily okay as long as it's pliable and soft just as long as it's not oily and dry?

Idk what to look for. Please help

I read some article on curly Nikki or black girl long hair once that said if you touch your hair and it leaves product on your hand then you are using too much product. I think that's an ok rule of thumb. I allow an exception when I first put my hair up into a protective style. After wash day when my hair gets braided up it may be still wet with heavy cream or butter. That oily greasiness may last a couple days then after that my hair is not leaving residue. Once that phase has past i go by the no residue rule of thumb.

I also like to think of it as, if I'd be embarrassed to let someone touch my hair, I'm using too much product.

I can tell when my hair is truly moisturized when it feels cool, almost cold, to the touch and lush. Some often confuse this feeling with their hair still being damp or not fully dry, but it's not; it's just truly moisturized and juicy. For me, residue isn't an issue as long as I'm not greasy-looking and leaving Soul-Glo spots all over the place.

Thanks ladies! I'm just frustrated because a leave that once worked so great for me turned my hair greasy. I did switch out jojoba oil for avacado oil. I'll splurge for the jojoba and see how it goes. If not *deep sigh* back to the drawing board

When was the last time you clarified?

Are you low porosity? I know air drying is preached on here but since I've been fully natural my low po hair still doesn't like air drying. If I deep condition and dry my twists with bonnet then moisturized to me is more about how my hair looks (shinny). I only feel residue if I was a little heavy handed or if I try to air dry. My hair just doesn't like it. Before you toss try after heat wave breaks.

I d say if it leaves an oily or sticky feeling on your fingers you used too much product.​
I realized throughout the years that my hair only needs 2 dimes of product (usually a butter + styler) on dry hair .

I have very oily hair. I wash every 3-5 days. Once my hair stops being fluffy, that's my cue to wash.

Is it because your guy said something about it or a co-worker? I'd say that if you tend to leave greasy marks behind on people's sofas, car headrests, pillows, maybe cut down on the oils. If you like how your hair feels, don't worry about it unless maybe your mate is asking you to cut back cuz it's leaving his face greasy lol. It's all personal preference. I don't like greasy hair at all but sometimes, it's greasy due to leave-in treatments. Sooooo. Well, if you leave run-down your neck onto your clothing and it's noticeable, maybe change it up?

Question: How do you oil your hair and with what? How much? ETA: Sorry, just saw "jojoba." I like that oil and hair tends to drink it in. I also like camellia oil and it's not greasy and soaks in.

Back