How Much Hair Needed for Fishtail Braid (PICS)?

How much hair do I need to do a fishtail braid?

• SL

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • APL

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • BSL

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • MBL

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

prettypithy

Right now, I am obsessed with the fishtail braid. How much hair will I need to do the style with my own hair? I want to sling it over my shoulder like that! Whatever length that is will be my goal! Here are some pics of the style below.

fishtail-braid_0.jpg

angela-simmons-fishtail-braid.jpg

fishtail_braid_thumb.jpg

I'm MBL and when I do the fishtail braid it dosen't sling over the way I would like it to. I like to add a few clip ins to make it longer...

Gaaaaawwwsssshhh you got me feening to straighten now, ive been dying to try a similar style....

You can always add on hair, that what I plan to do

On me, definitely WL. I tried on a wig that was only an inch shorter than HL, and I could make a fishtail that hit where Angela's does. I say WL because it was cut into a crucially deep V with heavy layers, so only a tiny section of hair in the back was almost HL. Most of the length was WL.

I feel your pain OP, I tried a fishtail braid on my (about APL) hair last time I straightened and it looked anorexic :lol: I ended up converting it into pigtail braids :ohwell:

I'm guessing a nice solid BSB would get you results like those photos.

I personally think fishtail braids look really, really creepy. :look:

I used to try fishtail braids on my almost APL hair and it didn't look as nice as those - not enough weight to keep the braid down. So, I'd say at least full APL-BSL.

I'm guessing a nice solid BSB would get you results like those photos.

I personally think fishtail braids look really, really creepy. :look:

Haha they do look different, but them.

I feel your pain OP, I tried a fishtail braid on my (about APL) hair last time I straightened and it looked anorexic :lol: I ended up converting it into pigtail braids :ohwell:

Yepp that's what I was talking about, when I tried it on my almost APL hair it looked anorexic too and it was sticking out to the side :lol:

Last edited:
I think the really messy ones are creepy... they look like turds to me.
But the less messy ones are gorgeous to me and I can't wait until I can do one!

Yes, the google image search yielded some results so ugly they almost changed my mind. :lol: But done properly, it has a lovely, pre-raphaelite quality.

I would say for a really good fishtail braid, MBL. :yep: I choose not to do one yet because I don't want to be disappointed so I'm waiting to get to the next milestone, which is MBL. :grin:

It's a pretty hair style bit it's quite a bit of manipulation on the hair if you're doing it messy, surely.

Back