How much does long hair cost?

*Michelle*

How much does healthy hair cost?

I ask because, as I read, lots of women are buying lots of products...no problem, really. But I wonder do y'all set a limit on # of items or $ spent every so (insert length of time here)??

I have decided I am going to stick to a hair budget AND regime for four month periods and tweak as necessary IF necessary...don't know the dollar amt yet :eek: but I'm going to!! My weakness is tools as opposed to product, I am really happy with my hair regemin and will be sticking to it until Sept 1...ONE EXCEPTION...my BT should be arriving soon:eek: :eek: :D :D

Now where is that darn mailman...

Last edited:
I don't have long hair yet, but I still have the same hair care needs. I decided to give myself a spending limit in general and my hair care fun has to fall in that. I will buy my staples anytime I run out, but extras have to fall within my spending limit.

I give myself $100 play money every two weeks. That covers manicures, pedicures, hair care extras everything - so that is not a lot.

So I find myself spending less since I put this in effect. If I need to buy a big item like a flatiron or hooded dryer, I just put that in the budget on its on.

All of thise prevents me from going overboard with the impulse hair shopping.

Hey Honeydew!

Clarification: I CERTAINLY wasn't implying I have long hair or that I was asking only long haired ladies!! Maybe I should have said healthy hair!?

hmmm $100 every two weeks for beauty stuff...that doesn't seem bad. But for me since I don't do those things at a shop...but no cuz I NEED some new tools...LOL! Hmmmmm, maybe I will just buy the tools...I dunno! I need some more ideas...LOL!

I don't have long hair either, but I understand what you meant lol you should change the topic to healthy hair, I have been spending a lot lately so I took it down a notch I have a lot of conditioners that I have in rotation the main reason is when I continually use the same conditioner for my deep treatments I stop seeing results I think my hair gets immune to it or something so with the rotation of conditioners I see great results all the time, I have have some conditioners I want to purchase, I recently got bbd stretch conditioner and I want the mizani hydrafuse after that I'm good I think:)

Pixel Lady said:
Hey Honeydew!

Clarification: I CERTAINLY wasn't implying I have long hair or that I was asking only long haired ladies!! Maybe I should have said healthy hair!?

hmmm $100 every two weeks for beauty stuff...that doesn't seem bad. But for me since I don't do those things at a shop...but no cuz I NEED some new tools...LOL! Hmmmmm, maybe I will just buy the tools...I dunno! I need some more ideas...LOL!

Girl, that $100 goes fast!!! I just did my $100 withdrawal on Monday. I have already bought some Joico K-pak (not really a staple) for $16 and got a manicure and pedicure today for $44. Now I am like :look:

I need to slow my roll! :lol:

guesswho said:
I don't have long hair either, but I understand what you meant lol you should change the topic to healthy hair, I have been spending a lot lately so I took it down a notch I have a lot of conditioners that I have in rotation the main reason is when I continually use the same conditioner for my deep treatments I stop seeing results I think my hair gets immune to it or something so with the rotation of conditioners I see great results all the time, I have have some conditioners I want to purchase, I recently got bbd stretch conditioner and I want the mizani hydrafuse after that I'm good I think:)

I think I am having this problem. Mane N Tail helps me with my NG so I started only using it from 4 weeks post and on. Before that I have fun with my other conditioners rotating them.

Thanks Guesswho! Took me forever in a day to figure out how to change the title...LOL!

Well since I do my own hands/feet maybe $100/2wks would work for me...

Yeah, I like to rotate my products as well...does seem to be benificial.

ETA: I don't know why the title wont change???!!!

Last edited:
Pixel Lady said:
Thanks Guesswho! Took me forever in a day to figure out how to change the title...LOL!

Oh yeah, $100 would be more than enough. Really it could be too much if you think about it. If you buy liters of certain products, they last so long that you have weeks and weeks before you need to buy anything. Then you could save it for your tools. :)

I also keep a list of things that I want to try instead of running out to get them. That way I can budget for those goodies, as well.

I'M SO SLOOOOW...LOL! I thought I changed the title but it doesn't show (you know out on the main list thingy) Anyways

I never buy hair stuff in the liter size...for some reason I like going to the BS to buy products, even though its almost always the same stuff. BUT now that you mention it I could have my new flat iron next month and not bust the budget! THANK YOU:kiss:

Pixel Lady said:

ETA: I don't know why the title wont change???!!!

Don't worry I think once they get in the post they would get it:) I thought it was only me doing the rotation thing with the conditioners I'm glad I'm not alone :) I guess its like anything vitamins etc your body gets immune eventually I'm guessing the same goes for hair, my hair especially

WOW!:eek: :eek: :eek: You guys spend $100 a week on hair products? Oh my! I don't think I can afford to be a part of this thread. I'm too busy trying to save...
***leaving to visit the career and financial planning thread***:lol:

Last edited:
Ive spent probably close to 400 dollars since joining this board.

Out of all that I have nailed down a routine...no more new stuff!!!!

My hair growing long is costing me less than when I was jacking it up with heat and whatnot. Ironically, once I stopped going to salons and using less products,my hair has been thriving.

I think last month I spent about 50 dollars total on hair products.

DivaStyle said:
WOW!:eek: :eek: :eek: You guys spend $100 a week on hair products? Oh my! I don't think I can afford to be a part of this thread. I'm too busy trying to save...

Gurl...you got jokes huh!?:lachen: :lachen: You are crackin me up:lol: :lol:

She said $100 every two weeks and that includes pedi/mani stuff like that;) I would not and do not spend $100 every week on products. I usually average about $50 per month....since I've started hanging out here I haven't spent more on product, but I have spent more on protein, vitamins, BT...and I want a new expensive, flat iron...that kind of stuff. Thats why I asked

Well, I'm a cheapo, so I have a lot of products, but none of them cost more than $20. I know have cut that down even more, so if a single product costs more than $10, I will not buy it. Unless it's a staple, but i only have 1 staple that costs more than $10, so I'm okay.

I do need a new flat iron and a bonnet attachment, but I won't be buying one until September or October. Since I'm not buying anything new over the summer though, I will have enough to splurge on those items.

HoneyDew said:
I don't have long hair yet, but I still have the same hair care needs. I decided to give myself a spending limit in general and my hair care fun has to fall in that. I will buy my staples anytime I run out, but extras have to fall within my spending limit.

I give myself $100 play money every two weeks. That covers manicures, pedicures, hair care extras everything - so that is not a lot.

So I find myself spending less since I put this in effect. If I need to buy a big item like a flatiron or hooded dryer, I just put that in the budget on its on.

All of thise prevents me from going overboard with the impulse hair shopping.

Hey! Me too. That's my budget and it also includes my manicures, pedicures, and any online purchases (incl. clothes/purses). Less hair stuff, more clothes and vice versa.

So far I've been spending about $100 every three/four months on products. Now I'm becoming an accessory junkie :ohwell: Those things can add up. . so I've been taking my time.

I don't have a budget but I've learn to only buy stuff when I need them. Being a PJ is an expensive habit. I want two products right now reallly bad... but I'm not going to get them until I run out.

To answer OP's question, I don't think it is expensive, people just need to find their staples, stick to them and don't buy stuff they don't use. I use up everything I buy unless it tore up my hair like thermaheat (or something like that, could have been thermalsilk). I had to throw that out.

DivaStyle said:

If you mean my post, not $100 a week. :eek:

Actually I give myself $100 every two weeks for anything dealing with beauty. That includes manicures, pedicures, makeup, hair care, etc. Unless I want to get a massage, have a spa day or need to make a big purchase for something like a hooded dryer or something - but hopefully none of those break on me anytime soon.

It is not a strict $100 budget, just a way for me to manage what I spend on hair care. It also keeps me from buying products like Aveda Damage Remedy. :lol:

I've spent about $200 in February, but I've saved so much from eliminating the salon visits. Plus my hair has been healthier that it was when I was going to the salon.

I don't count the cost of my supplements because they benefit other things besides my hair but I spend any where from 300-500 bucks a year in vitamins.

I have stopped buying soo many products. I rotate between 3-4 conditioners and use 2-3 protien conditioners. I also stopped going to get my hair done every week and I only go to the cheapest place for a rollerset.

My shampoos, conditioners, moisturizers, and such cost about 30 bucks a month once you break down how long each bottle lasts me. I give myself 50 bucks a month to play with for hair related things only. I used to spend 50 a week but I am trying to save money.

I have no idea how much I spend but as my hair gets longer, I am going through conditioner like crazy. Cowashing daily doesn't help. I'm trying to find ways to conserve. It ain't easy. :)

I have no ideal how much money I spend on haircare products. I have to keep a running supply of conditioner and I think I buy it like once a month or so. I would say I spend about 30 dollars a month on my hair care products. But then have two daughters who use my products as well. I dont' go to the salon and I dont' buy perms anymore so I have extra money in my pocket.

No manicures or pedicures for me - it would interfere with mowing the yard and pruning the hedges:lol: :lol: :lol:

I stock up when items are on sale, then add one or 2 as the need strikes. I'm into henna and Indian oils that I buy locally, so all total I spend about 250 per year. I do all my own hair care and I'm APL.

The sales at Sally's are a lifesaver!

I agree that the quest for long hair is pretty expensive. Since I started last year, I don't think I ever spent this much money on products and tools in my life. I realized a couple weeks ago that I have to put a stop on buying new products (since both bathrooms are packed with stuff). Now to keep me from buying hair stuff, I buy make-up. Go figure:look:

Back