How many times a week should i apply Coconut oil?

gissellr78

Also, can i just apply it to my scalp 3 days a week? I am not going to put it on my hair except on wash day as a prepoo.

Does it help with growth?

How does it smell? do they sell something uncented?

Also, can i just apply it to my scalp 3 days a week? I am not going to put it on my hair except on wash day as a prepoo.

I've just gotten back into using coconut oil and I've been using it everyday. After I moisturize and apply my leave-in conditioner, I rub it on my hair, esp. the ends, to seal in the moisture. I don't put it on my scalp (I don't use anything on my scalp though). To me coconut oil is really good for enhancing shine in your hair and keeping in moisture (which can help you maintain hair length).

I used to use a Walmart brand cooking grade coconut oil and that had no smell. Just recently I purchased some extra virgin, unrefined, raw, coconut oil from GNC which has a light coconut smell. I prefer the latter by leaps and bounds. The GNC coconut oil is much smoother to me and helps retain moisture better (in my opinion).

If you use virgin coconut oil it has a naturally light scent of coconut. Its not overwhelming to me. I apply it as needed. I use alone as a light leave in when I run out of my other stuff but most of my formulations contain coconut oil. I dont know how much it affects growth. I doubt it would hurt it.

I use it everyday.
I don't use it to oil my scalp but others do.
I have read that it aids in growth.
The smell depends on the brand. In my experience they all smell like coconut but some stronger than others.

HTH

Last edited:
I love coconut oil and the smell is marvelous, it smells like coconut of course and that's fine with me! It's good for shine and sleekness on straight hair and it also keeps fly aways at bay:)

Thank you ladies....I bought Natures way extra virgin coconut oil...The smell is nice not too intense and i will apply it this weekend before my wash for my dry scalp and a few drops in my deep conditioner....:lick:

I agree coconut oil is wonderfully light and has a pleasingly faint coconut scent. Once or twice it (re)liquified before it was totally absorbed into my hair and, horror of all horrors, bled to the nape of my neck. Fortunately, it is such a light oil and far from being oily that correction was fast and escaped the notice of others. Nevertheless, I usually apply it after washing and conditioning and try not to go anywhere for a day. I agree with missconstrue & Semo that multiple light applications are probably best (though 1x or 2x a wk is perfect for my unprocessed hair).

you can apply coconut oil to your as much as you like. I myself apply it to my scalp because I like the way it melts into my scalp. I bought the unrefined and the virgin cocnut oil and only the virgin coconut oil seem to have a slight scent.

I agree with titan, apply whenever however. My answer may be irrelevant but it may be useful to someone out there. Im currently in braids and my mother makes her own natural coconut oil and stores it away. So every so often while in my braids I will moisturize and spritz some coconut oil in, may I mention for some reason this cocnut oil does not smell so wonderful...at least to me. BUT anyways I've noticed that the coconut oil will reside in the braids for a LONG time. A week after I took out some braids to re-do I could feel the coconut oil in my hair... might have assisted in my two inch growth these two months =? I don't know..but my hair seems to love it

I usually just pay attention to how my hair feels. I used to apply coconut oil whenever my hair felt dry, which was maybe every 2 days or so. Now that I use castor oil I find that I only need to apply that oil every 4-5 days. They're both great oils, but I just sometimes prefer one over the other.

You can apply it everyday if you want. One can purchased scented or unscented coconut oil. Mine has no smell at all.

Does anybody know what it means when your coconut oil has white calcified balls in it? My jar was purchased in August, it use to melt/liquify. Now when it melts in your hand, there are these little white balls left behind.

Back