How Many of You Wrap Your Hair at Night?

northernbelle

I have just begun to do so, and have been doing so for about two weeks now. I actually like it, although given the texture of my hair - very fine and thin - I find that I need to roller set every two nights, just to keep a bit of body in my hair. Otherwise, my hair becomes too flat.

I purchased a wrap scarf at Sally's Beauty Supply. It actually wraps around the head. I really it and it has made the difference in the way my hair sets. I also brush the hair when I wrap it, in order to give my hair a tighter wrap.

I would like to hear about the experiences of other LHCF members with wrap setting hair at night.

BTW - I also flatiron when I wash my hair.

northernbelle

I wrap my hair for about a week to 2 weeks after I relax it. The rest of the time I have pin curls for my protective style. My friends and family who wrap all the time experience reakage around the edges because they are constantly wrapping in one direction. Be careful about this, thats why I cut my wrapping down to 2 weeks max.

I recently purchased a Denman paddle brush and that has made a huge amount of difference with wrapping my hair.

Last week after flat ironed my hair I wrapped it every night successfully with the paddle brush and a silk scarf. In the morning it had a nice bend to it, held up for a week!

Last night since I got a touch up yesterday and a set,I just pincurled it. Before I took my shower this a.m. I wrapped my hair with the Denman brush and put a silk scarf on.

Before I style I spray a little oil sheen on the wrapped hair and then comb it around to unwrap it.

I wrap every night, and if necessary I spray with H-two leave-in mist for extra moisture.

i wrap my hair at night after getting a roller set or when I wear my hair down during the day. I spray oil sheen on my hair before I wrap a satin scarf around my head to go to sleep. When I unwrap it in the morning, I spray oil sheen on my hair or on my boar bristle brush or round brush and use whichever brush to unwrap my hair. I sometimes use a medium-wide-tooth comb. This technique has worked fairly well. Ive been doing this for 2-3 years so far after a friend showed me how to care for your hair at night

[ QUOTE ]
lonei said:
I wrap my hair for about a week to 2 weeks after I relax it. The rest of the time I have pin curls for my protective style. My friends and family who wrap all the time experience reakage around the edges because they are constantly wrapping in one direction. Be careful about this, thats why I cut my wrapping down to 2 weeks max.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. This is interesting.

Have others who wrap nightly experienced breakage on the eddges?

northernbelle

Which brand of oil sheen spray do you use? I have a can of Motions which I have barely used. It seems as if I have a reason to drag it out from the back of my under-cabinet sink!

northernbelle

Normally I keep my hair wrapped at night..but lately it's been in 2 big cornrows on the sides..and wrapped up in a scarf

oh yeah.. I 've been wrapping my hair for years.. I haven't experienced breakage around the edges...

[ QUOTE ]
northernbelle said:
Which brand of oil sheen spray do you use? I have a can of Motions which I have barely used. It seems as if I have a reason to drag it out from the back of my under-cabinet sink!

northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]

Lately, I've been using Dudley's Oil Sheen. I shared this with my hairdresser yesterday and she said its okay for me because I have thick hair. She said it would be too heavy for her hair and that she prefers to use Keracare Silken Seal Liquid Sheen (the spray formula, not to be confused with the serum)

Hope that helps, hair buddy!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
northernbelle said:
[ QUOTE ]
lonei said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. This is interesting.

Have others who wrap nightly experienced breakage on the eddges?

northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey northernbelle....I used to wrap my hair every night, but I stopped when I noticed the middle of my hair thinning terribly...I did not experience breakage around the edges...For some reason, wrapping does not agree with my hair.....
frown.gif
ohwell.gif
confused.gif

I don't know how to wrap my hair...I just comb it back on each side with a part on one side and wrap my satin around it. I use my Hype Hair rollers in the morning to give it curl.

[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:
I don't know how to wrap my hair...I just comb it back on each side with a part on one side and wrap my satin around it. I use my Hype Hair rollers in the morning to give it curl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jen,

Try this method. I got it off of another hair board.

"OK heres a little trick I learned in cosmetolgy school some years ago in relation to doing a perfect wrap.
first part your hai from ear to ear
then comb from the crown area of your head down and around inm circular motion starting with the front of your hair.
continue to comb from the crown then down and around in a circular motion until your head is completely wraped.

see the trick is combing your hair from the crown area first.
most people when they wrap hair take a bunch of hair and start from the temples and try to wrap it. Now that can be done if you know what your doing....but if you don't my way is sure to give you the results your looking for. Try it. it was fail proof in hair school."

[ QUOTE ]
PrettyBrownEyes said:
[ QUOTE ]
JenJen2721 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Jen,

Try this method. I got it off of another hair board.

"OK heres a little trick I learned in cosmetolgy school some years ago in relation to doing a perfect wrap.
first part your hai from ear to ear
then comb from the crown area of your head down and around inm circular motion starting with the front of your hair.
continue to comb from the crown then down and around in a circular motion until your head is completely wraped.

see the trick is combing your hair from the crown area first.
most people when they wrap hair take a bunch of hair and start from the temples and try to wrap it. Now that can be done if you know what your doing....but if you don't my way is sure to give you the results your looking for. Try it. it was fail proof in hair school."

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks PBE!!! I'm going to try that tonight!!!
smile.gif

I wrap my hair everynight. I've been doing this for about 6 years now! I don't really wake up with bounce and curls (as most people do). I just do it to keep my hairline in check and the newgrowth from being "frizzy." When I do take the time out to do Jen's method though, I have form to my hair when I comb/brush it down the next morning. I usually stick to the temple to temple.

i wrap my hair every night. every week i change the direction i wrap it in, (i wrap from an off-center part) and about every three days when i wrap my hair i roll the hair in the crown. i spray oil sheen on it after i wrap it, and cover with a satin scalp.

I had to stop wrapping because I experienced so much breakage. Of course, thats before I learned how to take care of my hair. Maybe I should try it now, but i'm scared!!!

i also wrap almost every night, except when its time for a retouch. I use a daily moisturizer after i wrap it then I tie it down with a scarf. I spray my comb with oil sheen when i wrap it down in the morning. I havent experienced any type of breakage.

I wrap my hair many times a week.....but have noticed in the last month my wrap scarf is not staying on my head at night. I usually also cover the wrap scarf with a satin slumber cap.... the slumber cap stays on but the wrap scarf does not always stay in place..Maybe I move alot while sleeping, but I never considered myself a wild sleeper. Does this happen to anyone else? If so, what do you do?

I wrap my hair nightly using Black and sassy nightly anti breakage wrap cream which I think is a great product. When I reach my goal which is bra strap I am hoping I dont have to wrap it as much

4a/b grazing shoulder length

[ QUOTE ]
northernbelle said:
So, AKAngel904, what do you do when it is time for a re-touch?

northernbelle

[/ QUOTE ]
retouch time, I moisturize and then either put a bun in the back and tie it down or i may roll the ends only if I want the ends to have a lil bump in them if im going to church or somewhere nice.

[ QUOTE ]
lexi_24 said:
I wrap my hair many times a week.....but have noticed in the last month my wrap scarf is not staying on my head at night. I usually also cover the wrap scarf with a satin slumber cap.... the slumber cap stays on but the wrap scarf does not always stay in place..Maybe I move alot while sleeping, but I never considered myself a wild sleeper. Does this happen to anyone else? If so, what do you do?

I usually lose my scarf, too.
laugh.gif

And, I am a wild sleeper!

I have this wrap thing. It's something like mesh weave, about as wide as a very wide headhand, and secures at the back with Velcro. I purchased it at Stop 'n' Shop, of all places. I wrap this over my satin scarf, and it seems to help keep the satin scarf in place.

northernbelle

When I get my hair roller wrapped (which isn't very often), I wrap my hair each night until I shampoo / condition again. Then it's back up.

Yes, I have experienced breakage around the edges from wrapping in one direction. But it's more difficult to wrap the other way around.

Back