How many of you have water/shower filters?

MrsHdrLe

Real quick, how many of you have water/shower filters and how well do they work for you? Are you able to wet/wash/cowash your hair more often with out dryness?
I know I saw a thread about hard water a while back, but I couldn't find it today.
Any advice, opinions, or progress stories are much appreciated.

Also, where doyou live and do you notice any improvements in areas where the water quality isn't that bad?

TIA

I have a "sprite" filter that I got from Home Depot. I think it was about $20-30. My skin and hair feel softer and not as dry. I don't use as much product as far as shampoo and conditioner. I'm not really sure about the frequency of wetting my hair b/c I adjust my routine and products to how my hair feels at the time. I'm not a regimented person at all.

I'm in GA now, but I don't really trust the water in any municipality. I believe in filters for all of my water.

I splurged and got the full house water filtration system. Everything is filtered right down to the hose and the toilet...lol.

I splurged and got the full house water filtration system. Everything is filtered right down to the hose and the toilet...lol.

Wow! Was that very expensive? What state do you live in? I assume it was worth it not only for you and your hair, but for your family. Thanks for sharing:yep:

It seems the Sprite is the ost popular filter. I just bought the Culligan filter with the hand held shower head. Has anyone purchased a Culligan?
BTW, I paid about $50 for it and the replacement filters are about $15 I think.

Thank you Pompous Blue for the links. I'll check them out.

In the meantime, please tell me how long it was before you noticed a significant change in your skin and hair.

^^^I bought the Srpite because that's what my neighbor had. He had good things to say about it and since he was in my area I got real feedback about how it would work with my water.

I have the culligan wsh-c125, and I love it. Paid fourteen for it when it was on sale at amazondotcom and I subscribed to the refills coming every six months for Twelve bucks. Really helped me love poo bars as well.

It seems the Sprite is the ost popular filter. I just bought the Culligan filter with the hand held shower head. Has anyone purchased a Culligan?
BTW, I paid about $50 for it and the replacement filters are about $15 I think.

Thank you Pompous Blue for the links. I'll check them out.

In the meantime, please tell me how long it was before you noticed a significant change in your skin and hair.
I think it took me about the 3rd shampoo to notice that I didn't need to use as much poo, my skin stayed hydrated longer and I don't need to use as much shea butter on my skin to stay moisturized. Oh and the biggie is my scalp no longer feels tight!

I broke down and purchased a Sprite filter from Lowe's this past weekend. I'm really liking it so far, for my skin that is. I mainly purchased it for my hair, so the real testing for it will start today. It was $28 and some change with tax and all.

Thanks ladies who have responded.
I'll see how my 2nd wash goes in about 5 days. I would like to co-wash more often, but I'm still believing my stylist's hype about over doing it with water. But with a filter, it's just water right?
HIJAKIN MY OWN THREAD lol
One stop shopping here, AE users, I need some advice.
What if it doesn't stop the breakage in the first use, should I try a stronger protein or give it a few more tries?

Wow! Was that very expensive? What state do you live in? I assume it was worth it not only for you and your hair, but for your family. Thanks for sharing:yep:

I enjoy it MrsHdrLe. I have no faith in the quality of the water from the county. Too many people are getting cancer of some sort these days. I have extremely dry, crackly, flaky skin but no more after my Avanta Pure. I haven't noticed too much difference with my hair though. Probably because I have been washing with filtered water for so many years anyway. They run from $3000 - $7500 all depending on how good you are with the salesman.

Amazon.com: GE GXSM01HWW Shower Filter System: Kitchen & Dining

I have this one. got it at home depot. You can screw it right onto your shower (make sure you use that plumbing tape though!!!)

If I don't use it my hair feels hard and my skin itches and burns and dries out like crazy.

Good to see someone from NY using a filter. I always wondered if this made a difference for us, b/c when I researched I found that NYC actually had really soft water compared to other areas. Maybe Ill invest in one, b/c I have really dry skin and hair, this could be part of the issue.

Good to see someone from NY using a filter. I always wondered if this made a difference for us, b/c when I researched I found that NYC actually had really soft water compared to other areas. Maybe Ill invest in one, b/c I have really dry skin and hair, this could be part of the issue.

They say we have softer water but screw these folks, I'm not listening to squat they say. I noticed a HUGE difference between the filtered and non filtered water. My soap and shampoo bars from chagrin valley wouldnt lather up properly, my hair started feeling weird and my skin was dry and on fire.

(I broke my filter and hadnt gone to replace it. Never again!)

I live in Phoenix, AZ. The water here smells gross and tastes even worse. I don't even like using ice out here.

I have a shower filter and it really makes a difference. When I first moved out here I did not have a filter. The elements plus the horrible water ripped my hair to shreds. Now that I have a filter, my hair is finally staying on my hair, is easier to roller set and dry. It is also softer. I purchased my filter at Ace Hardware for 25.00; it is made by Culligan.

They say we have softer water but screw these folks, I'm not listening to squat they say. I noticed a HUGE difference between the filtered and non filtered water. My soap and shampoo bars from chagrin valley wouldnt lather up properly, my hair started feeling weird and my skin was dry and on fire.

(I broke my filter and hadnt gone to replace it. Never again!)

What?! Down to the lathering of the soap?? Oh that's it, I'm headed to home depot tomorrow! Thnx for the feedback :)

Real quick, how many of you have water/shower filters

I have used shower filters for years

how well do they work for you?

With the first wash, I noticed that my hair felt different. I didn't have to use chelating shampoo ( creamy aloe ) much after starting to use the shower filter. Maybe using it once every 6 months just in case. The chelating shampoo is supposed to rid your hair of mineral buildup from hard water.

Are you able to wet/wash/cowash your hair more often with out dryness?

This question for me has a few different parts. The water filter helped my hair feel different, softer ( but not in a bad way ). the only time that I have had issues with dryness, was when my porosity and moisture/protein balance was jacked up. Soooo, if you are having issues with dryness, you might want to check out those issues as well and see if some correcting needs to be done.

I know in the winter ( ne ohio and western ny ) I need to be on my protein/moisture balance game. As a natural, for me, it starts with a good leave-in. I use the kimmaytube leave-in with a few tweaks. First making sure to spritz my hair with water for moisture, then using the mix to seal it in, and then using oyin whipped pudding or some other shea based mix to top it off while I am twisting. Daily in the shower I allow the steam to get to my hair for more moisture, and spritz it with water often. I will re-apply the mix, after rinsing my hair with water at some point during the week, still doing, weekly co-washing or dcing.

where do you live and do you notice any improvements in areas where the water quality isn't that bad?

right now, I am between ne ohio and western ny. Both places have hard water pretty bad and harsh winter weather. I have gone without my filter in both places, and have noticed that my hair does feel strange afterward. It doesn't feel as smooth/silky as it does when I am using my filtered water....but that's just me. HTH

I live in Iowa and the water here is so hard. I went from having long, growing hair when I moved here 7yrs ago to medium length, not so good growing hair. I was wondering if I should invest in a water filter? What kind do you guys recommend?

Sprite shower filter for $18 at Home Depot works well. I use less product because everything lathers up really well. Arizona is a hard water state. The water even feels softer hitting your body...immediate difference in hair and skin.

Back