How many naturals go to Aveda salons?

Leshia

I've been to an Aveda salon once for color when I was relaxed but haven't been of late. Are they fairly receptive of natural hair? And you naturals who partake, is your natural hair being cared for by a Caucasian person (just wondering)? Are they intimidated by curly, curly hair? I have an Aveda salon not even ten minutes from me (Reston Town Center) and I'm dying to have my hair colored there because their color is extremely non-drying but don't want to scare/intimidate anyone with my short 4a/3c mixture. I'm not sure if I'll just have to go and question but if anyone can share, share, share, that'd be awesome. Thanks, so much.

I'm planning to go to an Aveda salon to get my hair colored as well. I had the same concerns as my hair will most likely be colored by a caucasion and I don't want to scare her off with my naps. From what I have gathered, it doesn't seem to be a problem. They seem to be able to handle all hair types. I was most concerned with preparing for the visit as I didn't want to go with product in my hair (but if I don't, it will take them forever to get the color on especially if they don't wash first). I have spoken with someone who said that she was washed and conditioned first while the other said they worked on her dry hair. One suggested I wash the night before and part hair in 4 sectons, plait or twist and go that way. So far I'm leaning towards that method. They don't have to worry about styling my hair I just want the color.

Chyna Red said:
I'm planning to go to an Aveda salon to get my hair colored as well. I had the same concerns as my hair will most likely be colored by a caucasion and I don't want to scare her off with my naps. From what I have gathered, it doesn't seem to be a problem. They seem to be able to handle all hair types. I was most concerned with preparing for the visit as I didn't want to go with product in my hair (but if I don't, it will take them forever to get the color on especially if they don't wash first). I have spoken with someone who said that she was washed and conditioned first while the other said they worked on her dry hair. One suggested I wash the night before and part hair in 4 sectons, plait or twist and go that way. So far I'm leaning towards that method. They don't have to worry about styling my hair I just want the color.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I want color only and since I do wash and go's, styling is not an issue with me. Also, it's so short right now since i've just CHOPPED that cut isn't necessary either. If you get there before I do, please do share your experience. Anyone else? I know that Poohbear goes but I'm wondering about various other locations since I'm not in Tennessee...

Well, I did go to an Aveda salon - or at least I think it was coz everything they sold and used was Aveda. *shrug* Insisted on having a particular stylist as I was informed she's a guru with natural hair. First thing the receptionist thought was I had to be there for a press or a perm. When my stylist showed up, she tried to convince me to get a texturizer. I had to almost argue and insist that I just wanted to learn how to style my now-out-of-braids-and-much-longer-than-I'm-used-to nothing more and hoped she could show me. To cut a long story short, I left there having lost over 5 inches of hair, with a style I hated, and my hair was dry and hard the next morning and looked matted (so much for the DC I'd gotten). In short, I hated my experience and will never return.

Mind you, I might've been the odd one out as I would never have been told to go there, had many pple not had great success with the stylist and the salon. Oh and they might be good at coloring coz I found myself having to put my foot down again on the topic of color. I DID NOT WANT MY HAIR COLORED, but my stylist kept telling me it'd look good. Well, I'm pretty stubborn and do only what *I* think looks good; not what folks tell me. So you may not be disappointed if you go for color.

Back