How long should you give a product to work?

How long should you give a product to work?

• Instantly

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • 2 - 4 tries

Votes: 33 64.7%
  • 5 - 10 tries

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Continue to use them until my hair turns around

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

greight

Hi! I'm not quite new, but finally decided to start posting since putting more effort into my hair. I tried searching for old threads/polls, but no one has asked this question yet.

My question to you all is how long do you or should you give a product to work (non-growth aids)?

I ask because I've just washed and conditioned with Elucence and I can FEEL a difference already with my hair. Same with using Ultra Duo Tex.

It took some continued tries with Roux products, but I can feel a difference with them too. I love them now.

Giovanni Direct and Elasta DPR-11 have let me down though, but I want to try to keep using low-cone or cone free products.

Quick stats (until I get my sig up :look:): natural coily 4b w/ some 4a in the back, fine, low-medium density, and DRY, DRY, DRY. I'm between APL and MBL with some breakage due to stress, but I'm hopeful that I'll recover in a year or two.

I do think it takes 5-10 tries for me to know whether or not something's working FOR me.

But if it instantly offends my hair I've been known to pitch it across the room in horror... literally. Good thing I have my own bathroom. :lachen::lachen:

Depends on the product. For some natural, herbal products - e.g. henna, shikakai, etc., you're not going to get insta-slip and moisturization, etc., but the benefits are seen over the long term. Some commercial products will give you a time frame so if it's otherwise agreeable to you (doesn't stink, burn, or have other undesirable effects) then you can follow instructions and wait to see if it does what it claims to do. However with shampoo and conditioner in a bottle I know right away and if it makes my hair feel off I won't use it again.

Remember to clarify prior to using new products, particularly conditioners and deep conditioners. If your strands are coated by old products, it will affect your results and therefore, your impression of the product.

5-6 tries here. It also depends on the product and how I came about purchasing it, these days I Stick to what works for me and occationally brand out like once every month to try something new If my hair loves it right away I stick to it for a while and see
the long term effects if it doesn't then I toss it aside, do some research, see how others are using it then come back more informed and try a different technique.

Again, it depends on the how you heard about the product. If it was
something I saw on lhcf and the ladies on here gave it good reviews when I try it, If I don't see results right then, I give it a couple more tries before tossing it aside.

I give a DC only two tries. I use a DC two ways. Once as a pre-poo, then the second way as a basic DC after a wash. If it doesn't work on either those methods, then I know it's time to either give it away, sell, or trash. I never keep a products that is not good for my hair for long because it would cause me more problems or setback hoping it would work.

My new problem are products that use to work for my texlaxed/relaxed hair, but doesn't work for my NG transitioning hair.

I usually only try a product 1-2 times. If I'm on the fence for about a week. There are too many other products out there that can get the job done if that particular one does not.

I need to remember to clarify evrytime I try a new product. Unless it just kills my hair I'll give a product a couple few tries on wet and dry hair.

One try without clarifying and one time clarifying. If it still doesnt work after I clarify, I'm done.

Remember to clarify prior to using new products, particularly conditioners and deep conditioners. If your strands are coated by old products, it will affect your results and therefore, your impression of the product.

One try without clarifying and one time clarifying. If it still doesnt work after I clarify, I'm done.

THIS. I've done the clarifying/no-clarifying method with most of my products, thankfully, but it's a reminder none the less.

I think my hair is finally turning around, but practically all the products that I used worked instantly or within 2 - 4 times. Some leave-ins and moisturizers I'm revisiting now that my issues are mostly resolved, but for for shampoos and conditioners/deep conditioners, I think I'm better off with the instantaneous.

Now I guess my problem is what am I going to do with the remaining gazillion products I have? :rolleyes:

I say 2 to 4 times. I didnt like joico kpak when I tried it the first few times and then on the 3rd or 4th try I found that joico was the missing link in my reggie!

I'll try a product and then if I am a little so-so:ohwell: about it, I will try something else for a while and come back to it and give it another shot.:yep:

Once I try it again, and I'm still on the fence about it, I'll either just use it up quickly (if it's tolerable) or just give it away. Especially, if I know/hear someone else likes it.:grin:

I hate to throw out products, but will if I have to.:look:

I'm doing that now... I'm giving away some stuff to people that I know would probably like to try it or smell it, but I'd hate for a product that didn't work on me be some hot mess on another individual :perplexed

I'm doing that now... I'm giving away some stuff to people that I know would probably like to try it or smell it, but I'd hate for a product that didn't work on me be some hot mess on another individual :perplexed

It's good when you can find a good home for a product. And there are plenty of people who can use things (and like things) that I didn't care for, so that always makes me happy.:grin:

IA: I'd never give a product that was a HOTMESS for me to someone else (unless I knew it was something they used or liked).:yep:

And the things that ended up in the Trash are things that shoulda' neva' even been manufactuered.:rolleyes: :lachen:

I give it a few tries. That may include using it in a new way or different method. If it's still not working, I don't use it again.

I guess I'm afraid of a setback... :nono:

Experimenting with my hair is always kinda dicey. Tonight I think I'm going to deep condition overnight with DPR 11 one more time, rinse it out in the morning with Porosity Control after to see if there's any benefit. I would love it to be my mainstay conditioner, but NTM Mask worked better (it has cones and I'm pretty sure cones are culprit to my perpetual dryness).

I guess I'm afraid of a setback... :nono:

Experimenting with my hair is always kinda dicey. Tonight I think I'm going to deep condition overnight with DPR 11 one more time, rinse it out in the morning with Porosity Control after to see if there's any benefit. I would love it to be my mainstay conditioner, but NTM Mask worked better (it has cones and I'm pretty sure cones are culprit to my perpetual dryness).

Mine too:yep:. That's why I like to stick with what works when I've found a product that works for me.

In terms of how long I give a product to work, it varies. If a product is horrendous, I never use it again. I never give a product more than three tries, though. As in baseball, one...two...three strikes--and you're out!!!

I also don't doctor up products to make it work for my hair. I will not stand in the kitchen trying to figure out the right number of teaspoons or tablespoons or cups of oils, other conditioners or anything else to make products work. The products must be formulated to work for my hair.

i try a product about two times. if i dont instantly love i usually put it down then come back to it in about a week to give it a few more tries.

I'll try a product and then if I am a little so-so:ohwell: about it, I will try something else for a while and come back to it and give it another shot.:yep:

Once I try it again, and I'm still on the fence about it, I'll either just use it up quickly (if it's tolerable) or just give it away. Especially, if I know/hear someone else likes it.:grin:

^^^^^Same :yep:.

I voted instantly. Only because I was thinking about if it makes my hair feel like hay I definitely won't be putting it on my hair again. Well...I don't know...if the product doesn't make my hair feel how I want it to, then I don't continue to use it. I feel like that's counter-productive.

Unless something was just straight up harmful to my hair I like to give a product at least 3 tries. If you haven't won me over by then, I move on. Or, I find a way to mix it with other products. Some things do nothing for me on its own but when combined with something else works great.

So far I've given most of my products a few tries. I've noticed that my hair responds differently as it grows so what didn't "work" (aka give me the results I wanted) at first, I've revisited after a few months of growth, and in some cases I got what I was looking for.

Amen to this, Americka/ladies. This is very important when trying out new products. I initially thought Silk Elements Mega Silk was a no go for my hair, but lo and behold I fogot to clarify the first time I tried it. When I revisited it after clarifying, that's when the magic happened for me :grin:.

Back