How long Have you Bunned?

breezy

Hey all, I'm getting a little discouraged by my growth (or lack thereof). I've been bunning most of the time, but I'm thinking of placing myself on a protective style challenge until February. I'm hoping that maybe I'm not seeing any changes in length b/c I see my hair all the time, so I plan to wash/deep cond. once a week, airdry in a bun, and leave the bun in until the next wash.

My question is, to all those who have used buns to retain length, how long have you done it and how successful were you? Also, did you take the bun down every night to moisturize, and if not how often did you? Thanks :)

I been bunning since April. I will continue until Dec 27 07

What I do is I take down my bun at night to moisturize, apply the scrunchie and a baggie, take that down in the morning to remoisturize, put BACK in the bun, and apply my scarf until I get dressed. That way my hair has time to lay down and such.

MizaniMami said:

What I do is I take down my bun at night to moisturize, apply the scrunchie and a baggie, take that down in the morning to remoisturize, put BACK in the bun, and apply my scarf until I get dressed. That way my hair has time to lay down and such.

Do you end up playing w/ your hair and looking at it when you take it down, or are you all business? I can't seem to stop checking for progress...

I've been bunning since November last year. It definitely helps my ends stay moisturized. My hair is always in an airdryed bun. In the morning, I apply a little gel and tye down the edges until I get to work. Before bed I apply oil to the ends, braid my ponytail, and band the ends.

Repeat ad nauseam. :spinning:

breezy said:
Do you end up playing w/ your hair and looking at it when you take it down, or are you all business? I can't seem to stop checking for progress...

I'm all about business. The only time I get to see my progress is on wash day when it's wet and when I have newgrowth it never measure accurately. I just make sure I have newgrowth and go from there and make sure I am retaining my ends. For ME it's not about growth it's about retaining. I know it will grow, it's the retaining. It is so hard for me.

Also, I would be checking my bunned/airdried hair for progress in vain. It never dries straight and I don't really see the full progress until it is flat ironed or freshly relaxed. Right before I was relaxed and made BSL my hair was only APL from all the shrinkage. I was for sure I would still be APL. i had to learn to stop driving myself crazy about progress.

I have been bunning forever it seems. I take my bun down every night and moisturise daily.

Well you guys are encouraging me, you've been bunning for a looooong time! I know my silly butt can keep it up until Feb. Thanks for replies, I'm sure this is a done to death topic. Now to stop stressing over progress...:lol:

breezy said:
Well you guys are encouraging me, you've been bunning for a looooong time! I know my silly butt can keep it up until Feb. Thanks for replies, I'm sure this is a done to death topic. Now to stop stressing over progress...:lol:

I try not to pay attention to mine much either. It will drive me nutty looking for a 1/8 of inch every other day. I really dont pay attention til the growth until I wash. You will be fine. ;)

carmella25 said:
I do the baggie method in a bun. I dont know if this counts. But I have been doing it for almost 4 years.

Uh, looking at your hair, whatever you say counts :lol:

I started February of 05 , and for the first, 11-13 months I bunned 99% of the time. Now I bun probably 85% of the time. I've been getting beside myself with summer and all...its time to hang it back up...least till I get to BSL, hope to be there by April.

breezy said:
Hey all, I'm getting a little discouraged by my growth (or lack thereof). I've been bunning most of the time, but I'm thinking of placing myself on a protective style challenge until February. I'm hoping that maybe I'm not seeing any changes in length b/c I see my hair all the time, so I plan to wash/deep cond. once a week, airdry in a bun, and leave the bun in until the next wash.

My question is, to all those who have used buns to retain length, how long have you done it and how successful were you? Also, did you take the bun down every night to moisturize, and if not how often did you? Thanks :)

I've only been doing it since last month, but the growth I saw between Sept to Oct made me a true believer! I take mine down every night and when I'm not traveling, I moisterize my ends every night and seal with oil. My hair is greasy as all get out, but I'm cool with it :) I clarify when I shampoo every week.

MizaniMami said:
I'm all about business. The only time I get to see my progress is on wash day when it's wet and when I have newgrowth it never measure accurately. I just make sure I have newgrowth and go from there and make sure I am retaining my ends. For ME it's not about growth it's about retaining. I know it will grow, it's the retaining. It is so hard for me.

Also, I would be checking my bunned/airdried hair for progress in vain. It never dries straight and I don't really see the full progress until it is flat ironed or freshly relaxed. Right before I was relaxed and made BSL my hair was only APL from all the shrinkage. I was for sure I would still be APL. i had to learn to stop driving myself crazy about progress.

Me too. LOL! I'm all about business :) Mizani, you and KiniKakes (as well as others) are my main inspirations for going for the protective buns/ pin up styles.

ETA: I agree with you about watching the progress. I got caught up in that at first, then I was getting down, thinking there was no progress. I just knew my hair would be the exact same length when I got my relaxer last week. To my surprise, it was almost an inch longer than it was the month before. So, I'm not checking for length again until next relaxer in Dec/Jan.

Last edited:
I can't bun anymore, my hair is too short. When I was bunning, though, I just took it down every night, and misted with bottled water and put some Elucence MB conditioner in my hair. Worked great!

FAMUDva said:
I've only been doing it since last month, but the growth I saw between Sept to Oct made me a true believer! I take mine down every night and when I'm not traveling, I moisterize my ends every night and seal with oil. My hair is greasy as all get out, but I'm cool with it :) I clarify when I shampoo every week.

Girl you growth for one month is AMMMMMAZING. Everytime I see your photo I go ":eek:" You grow girl!

And yeah my hair be hella greasy. But it's all good.:lol:

carmella25 said:
I do the baggie method in a bun. I dont know if this counts. But I have been doing it for almost 4 years.

carmella25 is the person who taught me what to put in my sprayer when I bun and baggie. I have been bunning since Dec 2003. I take loosen the ponytail at night and add more moisture to my baggie before bed and put the baggie back on. I press my hair about 1-2x a year so I don't see it or the length.

I used to have horrible split ends but the bunning stopped that. My growth is sporadic. Sometimes I get a nice spurt of growth and sometimes I get just a trickle. The one constant for me is that my ends look a lot better even if I am not getting a lot of growth.

Ive been bunning every day as well, for over a year now. I do take the bun down every day to moisturize. However, it's definitely all about business, no stopping to admire and/or look in the mirror and scrutinize for growth. :) For one, this would be pointless, as by now the hair is oily/wavy/crinkly and looks way shorter than it is when straightened out. So i quickly moisturize, then rebun, and sleep w/my plastic cap and scarf. I do get to enjoy looking at the length briefly on wash day. Then i rebun for the week and keep on going.

I agree w/MizaniM.... its all about retaining the growth! Its going to grow regardless, im not worried about that. But its due to the protective styles that i have seen the length that i have. My hair has never EVER been this long in my life, and i do attribute that to the buns.

MizaniMami said:
Girl you growth for one month is AMMMMMAZING. Everytime I see your photo I go ":eek:" You grow girl!

And yeah my hair be hella greasy. But it's all good.:lol:

THanks girl. :D
You are one of my BIGGEST inspirations to stick with the protective styling thing! Talk about AMMMMAZING! Your hair is on point! I wanna be like you when I grow up :)

breezy said:

You know if you get bored you might try french rolls, they are sophisticated looking and just as protective. I use a protective stlye 5 out of 7 days.

MizaniMami said:

That's exactly what I do also...:) oh been bunning since june.

Last edited:
i've been wearing the bun for almost 3 months straight and i see progress, I take it down and moisturize, spark bun with Elasta H-two and seal with black castor oil and baggie. my ends love me for it too:)

Chicoro, I like your new picture. Your hair is so pretty. You go girl!

Chicoro said:
carmella25 is the person who taught me what to put in my sprayer when I bun and baggie. I have been bunning since Dec 2003. I take loosen the ponytail at night and add more moisture to my baggie before bed and put the baggie back on. I press my hair about 1-2x a year so I don't see it or the length.

I used to have horrible split ends but the bunning stopped that. My growth is sporadic. Sometimes I get a nice spurt of growth and sometimes I get just a trickle. The one constant for me is that my ends look a lot better even if I am not getting a lot of growth.

Breezy, I think everyone goes through this phase at first (checking for growth all the time). After awhile, you'll forget all about checking and just start bunning it up for retention.

I've been bunning since late July. It's easier for me to not check now b/c I don't like to touch my hair much since it's still in a shedding phase.

breezy said:

Last edited:
Chicoro said:

you hair is so darn pretty. I am sure you mean a full shower cap when you say baggie right????

Chicoro said:

*stares* wow.. thats the type of ponytail i want!

I've been buning for about 3 years now. I take my bun down every night and redo in the morning. It has helped me retain a lot of length. The only complaint I have is my hair is shorter in the back where the bun rest. I try to be extra gentle with that area and move it around a little, but that area just doesn't retain as much length. I'm thinking about switching to a french roll.

Someone is going to have to take pity on me and show me how to do multiple quotes in a reply...I don't have a clue right now...sigh

Thank you for the compliments Ms. Houston and Dannygirl!

Letitia, I actually use a baggie. I wear my hair natural and it draws up well up to my shoulders after I have wet it and it dries. In my natural album I show how I braid it up and put it into a baggie. Sometimes I use five braids and sometimes I do just a simple bun where I wrap my hair around. It fits nicely into the baggie. Bunning w/ a baggie is my favorite protective style.

Back