How long do you wait . . .

lisatamika

before relaxing after taking down braids? I've been in braids since 6/19 and I just took them down on the 8/14. I have a TON of new growth but I was afraid to relax right away. I have done it before, but that was in my un-enlightened days
laugh.gif

Somebody please help!!!!!

I wait at least 2 weeks ( most times a month) after I take my braids out to touch up. This gives me the chance to properly give my hair a protein treatment and deep condition before I touch up. When I take my braids out at the end of August I don't plan to touch up till the third Sat in Sept.

I agree with simplycee and would tell you wait two weeks. However, I just took my braids out on last Thursday and am getting relaxed this Friday, only a week. I'm too anxious to see how long my hair has gotten.

I have relaxed same day or day after without any problems but that was back in the day. I NOW wait at least 3 or 4 days because I wash and do a protein treatment after taking down and rock a braidout or twistout for a few days and then go get my touchup. I think while no problems in the past, it's healthier to wait if you can . . .

[ QUOTE ]
greAtness333 said:
I agree with simplycee and would tell you wait two weeks. However, I just took my braids out on last Thursday and am getting relaxed this Friday, only a week. I'm too anxious to see how long my hair has gotten.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's me too
laugh.gif
I'm gonna try to wait 3 weeks to a month before relaxing
smile.gif

Are you talking about braids with added hair or your own hair? With my own hair, I've done it the next day with no problem.

[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:
Are you talking about braids with added hair or your own hair? With my own hair, I've done it the next day with no problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

With added hair (Kanekalon) which I know can be very drying. My Healthy Ends container says use that for 14 days so I was thinking I could just do that in addition to a protein treatment and deep conditioning before getting my relaxer.

Back when I was young and stupid I took out braids and relaxed the very same day. Needless to say my hair paid for it in the long run. Now I always have a plan when I put in or take out braids.

I always plan to take them out on a weekend that I am not busy so I can take my time and detangle. I like to do a protein treatment within 24-48 hours of taking my briads out followed by a deep conditioning treatment. I try to get in at least two deep conditioning treatments before I rebraid or touch up which is why I wait so long. I also wear a bun or ponytail while I'm waiting to touch up because my new growth can be outta control.

I have maintained my new legnth this way and it works for ME. Other people may not need the same amount of time in between. I'm getting so close to bra strap that I don't want to lose one single inch because I was impatient.

[ QUOTE ]
lisatamika said:
[ QUOTE ]
greAtness333 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

That's me too
laugh.gif
I'm gonna try to wait 3 weeks to a month before relaxing
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha good luck
poke.gif
FYI I just got my relaxer (album with updates) and my hair is doing fine.

[ QUOTE ]
lisatamika said:
[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:

[/ QUOTE ]

With added hair (Kanekalon) which I know can be very drying. My Healthy Ends container says use that for 14 days so I was thinking I could just do that in addition to a protein treatment and deep conditioning before getting my relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, LisaTamika!
I like to wait two weeks in between. One time I did it the very next day, but I prefer being able to do at least two protein and deep conditioning treatments to make sure hair is in its healthiest condition before being subjected to chemicals.
smile.gif

Back