How long do you wait......

Armyqt

to wash your hair after a relaxer? And why? I'm dying to wash my hair again, only becuase I'm accustomed to water hitting my scalp all the time. I think I' addicted
look.gif
. I didn't wash for a whole week before the relaxer and I really don't wanna wait a week after.

I was actually wondering this too....I just got a relaxer last Wednesday and I wanted to wash it on Saturday but my mom said it was too soon.

[ QUOTE ]
AngelaP said:
I was actually wondering this too....I just got a relaxer

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got one on Friday, and I'm ready to wash now. I did an AphoGEE treatment, and I want to do another one, because I let a friend of mine do my relaxer, and although the relaxer did NOT stay on any longer than 15mins, my hair is close to bone straight. I think this happened, because she was able to go back through my hair section by section and smooth it good.
I'm trying to ward off any breakage, due the straightness.
Would another AphoGEE treatment be too soon after just one week?

Not my intent to hijack this thread
look.gif

Honeycomb, I wouldn't risk doing another aphogee treatment so soon. You get end up with seriously dry hair on your hands which would defeat the purpose in the first place. I think you should focus on returning moisture to your hair. What your hair now needs is to gain some of it's elasticity back. You may want to check into the porosity control conditioner.

[ QUOTE ]
honeycomb719 said:

look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think that is too soon, if you are talking about the rock hard hair Aphogee conditioner. You don't want to dry your hair or get it too brittle (too much protein). I'd suggest concentrating on moisturizing treatments for a couple of weeks, and then maybe add a light protein conditioner into your rotation. Then, if you feel you need it, you can do another Aphogee treatment according to instructions (I think its 6 weeks later?).

Yeah, I'm talkin bout the hard stinky, sticky one. The botle says ever 6wks, but I didnt think it would hurt nothing.
Maybe I sholud just do some protein poos and cond, if I notice any breakage?

[ QUOTE ]
honeycomb719 said:
Yeah, I'm talkin bout the hard stinky, sticky one. The botle says ever 6wks, but I didnt think it would hurt nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
spank.gif
No more Aphogee for now. Moisture, moisture, moisture
laugh.gif

I usually wait a week too. It's hard sometimes though, cuz relaxers tend to dry out my scalp something awful, and I end up getting big nasty flakes by about day 4 after relaxing!!
crazy.gif
I hate that...
ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
honeycomb719 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I am strongly against doing an Aphogee treatment again so soon. However, you may consider doing this, minus doing the aphogee portion again Damaged Hair Treatment Instructions

Why should you wait a week? I think I've always washed sooner than that though...why is that the recommendation?

I never knew
confused.gif

Yeah, I'd like the answer to that too. I used to wash like 2 days after a relaxer. But all this talk about reversion got me shook.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:
I just wait a week so I can keep that salon style as long as possible,lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Now See
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
katie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely!!
smile.gif
Gotta make that blowout last at least a week!!
grin.gif
Although, after a week, my hair looks so thin and lifeless, I'm always real eager to wash it!!
look.gif

Is there a reason why you are suppose to wait to wash your hair after a relaxer? I've always washed it the next day or the day after..

[ QUOTE ]
Armyqt said:
[ QUOTE ]
honeycomb719 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
spank.gif
No more Aphogee for now. Moisture, moisture, moisture
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, Ok, but the whooping stick down ArmyQT, LOL
grin.gif
Please don't get me, I promise I will leave the protein stuff alone for awhile. But, how long do you guys advice?
I've been spraying my hair daily w/ my Lustrasilk Moisturizing Spray.
Just stick to moisture 4 now, huh?
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
honeycomb719 said:
[ QUOTE ]
AngelaP said:
I was actually wondering this too....I just got a relaxer

[/ QUOTE ]

I just got one on Friday, and I'm ready to wash now. I did an AphoGEE treatment, and I want to do another one, because I let a friend of mine do my relaxer, and although the relaxer did NOT stay on any longer than 15mins, my hair is close to bone straight. I think this happened, because she was able to go back through my hair section by section and smooth it good.
I'm trying to ward off any breakage, due the straightness.

look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I definitely wouldn't put any protein in it this soon. I had a bad experience with putting protein in my hair too soon after a relaxer back in January.

About four days after my relaxer, I shampooed and used Keraphix (protein) and my relaxer reverted. It looked like I had about four to six weeks of new growth even though it was bone straight before I washed it.

Okay, good. I would just watch your hair and see what it does. If you feel like it needs a little strength, then do a mild protein. I like Deep Brilliance and Kenra lines becuase to me they have a perfect balance of protein and moisture. Just try to stay away from the heavy stuff, like keratin and animal protein.

[ QUOTE ]
Lindy said:
[ QUOTE ]
katie said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely!!
smile.gif
Gotta make that blowout last at least a week!!
grin.gif
Although, after a week, my hair looks so thin and lifeless, I'm always real eager to wash it!!
look.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.By day 5 my hair starts getting really flat

I do my sister's relaxers and she washes 2-3 days after.

I usually wash witin two days, only because after a relaxer my hair feels fried, so I wash ASAP to ge that soft, bouncy and light feel.

I usually wash my hair two or three days after (because it just feels much cleaner the sooner I wash it after getting a relaxer touch-up). However, I've gone as long as a week.

[ QUOTE ]
dontspeakdefeat said:
I wash my hair the next day after relaxing most times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.
smile.gif

As for protein conditioners reverting chemically relaxed hair, I don't think that's possible.
look.gif

Here's why: the bonds of the hair can be classified as sulfur bonds, hydrogen bonds, or disulfide bonds, peptide bonds and chemical bonds. These bonds determine, among other things, the hair's structure, and texture(coiled/curly/wavy/straight). Without chemical processing, these bonds help the coiled/curly hair hold its coils/curls naturally.

The cortex is the second layer of the hair strand and this is where the bonds are located...and where relaxers irreversibly straighten the hair's coil/curl/wave pattern. The relaxer achieves this end by breaking down (or "destroying") these bonds, permanently. Remember hair after it's grown out of the scalp is dead. It has no way to repair itself. Once the chemical tears down all of the hair's natural bonds, there is no possible way for the hair to return to the structure or texture it had before the relaxer.

By contrast, conditioners are temporary. Some say conditioners last only as long as the next shampoo, some say no longer than five days, etc. - regardless of the duration, conditioners are temporary fixes and can never permanently repair damaged hair (because that's what our relaxed hair is, to varying extents). And an impermanent treatment like conditioner (yes, including ApHogee stinky treatment) cannot reverse a permanent alteration like a chemical process, e.g., relaxer.

That said, I have washed my hair the day after a touchup to find it curlier than it looked when I left the salon, but it wasn't due to reversion by any protein conditioner I used...it was due to the fact that my hair was underprocessed.

Hope that helps.
smile.gif

Back