How long do you go between rollersets?

neenzmj

I love rollersets, but they only last a couple of days, usually due to sweating my hair out during workouts, or simply from my hair losing that nice, fresh feel.

So I was wondering:

1. How long do you go before you re-do your rollersets and;
2. Do you find that the more you do them the quicker you can get them done (mine seem to take forever, which is another reason I don't do them as often as I'd like.)

The more you practice, the better/faster you'll become. My first rollerset took me 1 1/2 hours! I did one on Sunday in 25 minutes. I rollerset once per week...by day 3, I have no curls. I just purchased the Caruso rollers, and use those on the days in between rollersets...that's been working out great.

ddean said:
The more you practice, the better/faster you'll become. My first rollerset took me 1 1/2 hours! I did one on Sunday in 25 minutes. I rollerset once per week...by day 3, I have no curls. I just purchased the Caruso rollers, and use those on the days in between rollersets...that's been working out great.
Thanks ddean. My curls last forever. It's my roots that revert when I sweat during a workout which leaves it feeling like it needs to re-done (I'm a 3b/3c natural, so the least little bit of moisture and my nice straight roots go back to curly/wavy.)

I rollerset every Wed and Sat. It's usually late by the time I finish, so I'll sleep in the rollers (which is torture). The next morning I'll have nice bouncy curls. After that I wrap my hair so then it is straight. The only time I have curls for several days is if I do a rod type set on very small rollers. I takes me 35-40 to do my rollerset now.

janeemat said:
I rollerset every Wed and Sat. It's usually late by the time I finish, so I'll sleep in the rollers (which is torture). The next morning I'll have nice bouncy curls. After that I wrap my hair so then it is straight. The only time I have curls for several days is if I do a rod type set on very small rollers.

oh how I can relate to this:lol: ... another rollersetter who sleeps with those hard things in her head **LOL**

I used to do my rollersets twice a week...curls lasting about 2 days.... but now I am tired of doing rollersets so now I just bun my damp hair at nite and that gives me some body and curls too!! and it only takes a couple minutes as opposed to 25-30minutes with my rollersets! However I will still do rollersets once in a while because they are so pretty!

Last edited:
1. How long do you go before you re-do your rollersets and; One week

2. Do you find that the more you do them the quicker you can get them done (mine seem to take forever, which is another reason I don't do them as often as I'd like.) Yes, the more I practice the easier it gets. I rarely have problems now that I've been rollersetting for a year.

I've only rollerset my hair once and it was great but I'm lazy and since I wash every friday night I don't feel like sitting under the hood for hours on friday. (My hair wouldn't be dry in the morning if I slept in them). But for you ladies that loose curls too early pin curls are a great way to keep the curls and are easy to sleep in.:grin: Sometimes I even take about 4 or 5 flexi rods and make really big loose curls and tie down the front which allows me to leave the roots alone. HTH (pic in my fotki)

I do mine once a week. My first one took 2 1/2 hours, then 1h 45 and now they only take 30 mins (usually because im watching tv too:p ). After a workout, i spray my scalp with aveda reviving mist.

neenzmj said:
Thanks ddean. My curls last forever. It's my roots that revert when I sweat during a workout which leaves it feeling like it needs to re-done (I'm a 3b/3c natural, so the least little bit of moisture and my nice straight roots go back to curly/wavy.)
This happens to me too and there's not much you can do about it in the warmer months or when you're exerting yourself. I just learn to live with it and remember it never looks as bad to others as yourself.

ETA: I just peeped your album and your hair is beautiful. People are definitely not going to notice your roots.

Last edited:
macherieamour said:
I do mine once a week. My first one took 2 1/2 hours, then 1h 45 and now they only take 30 mins (usually because im watching tv too:p ). After a workout, i spray my scalp with aveda reviving mist.
macherieamour: do you think the technique you demonstrated in your tutorial (blowdrying the roots) would help after a workout?

macherieamour said:

Newbie here! Hello all. macherieamour, thanks for the tip about the aveda mist. I've been looking for something to give my scalp a lift after a workout. Your hair is so healthy and gorgeous and your tutorials are awesome.

Back