How long do everyone wait in between relaxers?

bludacious

I am four weeks into my relaxer. Before LHCF, I was doing a relaxer every four weeks(I have thick course hair). Now that I am on LHCF, I am going to stretch it. I am trying to do protective styles. I tried the flexi-rods this weekend. I dare not show any pictures. It was my first time and it didn't go well. I end up putting my hair into a bun. I think I am going to do a roller set this weekend.

How long is everyone waiting in between relaxers?

12 weeks. This is my first stretch (well, I'm also new to the boards). :D
I have thick, course hair and CO washes have helped me get this far to tame the new growth.

I was doing 12, this time I'm going for 17 (time will be up this Sunday :grin: ). It's been difficult so I'm thinking of going back to every 12 weeks.

I plan to wait 12-14 weeks.

I just got a relaxer after 15 weeks. I wear my hair in a bun daily and get roller sets weekly (no hand dryer) and helps keep my hair llooking staight.

Hi Bludacious. I have thick hair too. I get a relaxer every 8 weeks. I'm not one of those that can stretch without the danger of breakage. I've gone as long as 9 1/2 weeks but that was pure torture. :( I prefer to wear my hair in protective styles, mostly for the convienience (I really hate to do my hair).

brownhaired_bonanza said:
Hi Bludacious. I have thick hair too. I get a relaxer every 8 weeks. I'm not one of those that can stretch without the danger of breakage. I've gone as long as 9 1/2 weeks but that was pure torture. :( I prefer to wear my hair in protective styles, mostly for the convienience (I really hate to do my hair).

I am really scared to wait 12 weeks. I am thinking about doing 6 weeks on my first stretch.

Before I found this forum I would relax every 5-6 weeks. My first stretch after joining was 9 weeks which wasn't too bad. Now I am trying to stretch for 12 weeks...but I might only make it to 11 weeks since my hair is gettin crazy with me right now. :lol: I need to narrow down a good regime and hair styles that keep my hair soft and managaeble so I can stretch for longer periods of time without stressing over breakage.:ohwell:

bludacious said:
I am really scared to wait 12 weeks. I am thinking about doing 6 weeks on my first stretch.

That sounds like a good idea. If your hair turns out alright after the 6 week stretch, then you can think about stretching it a little further next time. :)

I am 5 month 1week post relaxer. I will go to 5 months 3 weeks ,I wanted to go longer but I have a conferance to attend :ohwell: .

I use to wait 6-8 weeks but now I am stretching it to about six monts and that's it I think. Afterwards I will do one every four months

WhipEffectz1 said:
I use to wait 6-8 weeks but now I am stretching it to about six monts and that's it I think. Afterwards I will do one every four months

How is this going for you?? How are you managing your new growth? What's a normal wash day like for you?

Sorry for the barrage of questions...

The reason I ask is because I would like to stretch to 6 months, so that I would only relax 2x a year. I currently relax every 12 wks. but right now I'm just trying to go as long as I can. This Wednesday will be 12 wks. for me and I'm not even thinking about getting a relaxer. I've incorporated some techniques into my wash days which has helped me keep the new growth manageable. So right now I don't see an urgency to relax.

I am currently trying to stretch to 12 weeks for the first time. I usually relaxer every 8 weeks.

I usually relax every 6-10 weeks (depends on the season). I'm stretching to 26 weeks, or 6 mos 2 weeks. Since there are 52 weeks in a year, if I can pull this off, I'll only be relaxing 2 times per year!!! I will be wearing my hair in a single braid down the back, cornrows, french rolls, etc to help me to stay out of my hair everyday! I'll be doing CO washes 3-4 times per week (to help with manageablity) and shampooing once a week. I think I can pull it off. I'm 8 weeks, and things are going pretty good.

Before LHCF, I was relaxing every 4-6 weeks. Now I am stretching to 10weeks. CO washes 2x a week have really helped with keeping my new growth manageable.

Before this board I would relax about every 4wks. Now I'm stretching to 7 and it's not too bad. My new growth is soft and very manageable and I'm @ 5 1/2 wks right now. The only reason I'm not going longer is because I have a short haircut that I'm growing out and I really can't hide the the two textures. :ohwell:

Jewell said:
I usually relax every 6-10 weeks (depends on the season). I'm stretching to 26 weeks, or 6 mos 2 weeks. Since there are 52 weeks in a year, if I can pull this off,'ll only be relaxing 2 times per year!!!will be wearing my hair in a single braid down the back, cornrows, french rolls, etc to help me to stay out of my hair everyday! I'll be doing CO washes 3-4 times per week (to help with manageablity) and shampooing once a week. I think I can pull it off. I'm 8 weeks, and things are going pretty good.

Hey this is great! This is EXACTLY what I'm wanting to do! 6 months is the goal but I'm just trying to see how long I can go. I'm 1 day from 12 wks.post.

I think you can pull it off too--we have a gold mine of hair knowledge right at our fingertips. And lots of ladies that are willing to help.

I am stretching to 16 weeks or 4 months. The longest I have gone previously was 11 weeks. Right now I am at 13 weeks and am doing fine.

ChosenbyGod said:
Hey this is great! This is EXACTLY what I'm wanting to do! 6 months is the goal but I'm just trying to see how long I can go. I'm 1 day from 12 wks.post.

I think you can pull it off too--we have a gold mine of hair knowledge right at our fingertips. And lots of ladies that are willing to help.

Thanks for the encouragement! I would love to actually pull this off! I won't be 12 weeks til April 7th. Keep me updated on your progress! If my hair gets too hard to handle, I'll get some cornrows to keep myself on track!

brownhaired_bonanza said:

I am with her I went 9 weeks, but never tried for 12 weeks. I have thick hair and it breaks around week 8...But this time I am going to try for 12-13 weeks....so I will let you know how it goes...to last 9 weeks I do protectives styles like...braids, weave, phony phonie.....etc.....

ChosenbyGod said:
How is this going for you?? How are you managing your new growth? What's a normal wash day like for you?

Sorry for the barrage of questions...

The reason I ask is because I would like to stretch to 6 months, so that I would only relax 2x a year. I currently relax every 12 wks. but right now I'm just trying to go as long as I can. This Wednesday will be 12 wks. for me and I'm not even thinking about getting a relaxer. I've incorporated some techniques into my wash days which has helped me keep the new growth manageable. So right now I don't see an urgency to relax.

Well, its going pretty good because now I hardly think about my hair. I am managing my new growth by wearing cornrows, using(s-curl, olive oil, surge among other things/on different days, and washing once a week. I redo my cornrows every month. A normal wash day consist of diluting my shampoo and conditioner and then airdrying. When I take my braids out I always let my hair rest for a week and do a protein treatment. Believe me, after about 12-14 weeks, the urge to relax will begin to dwindle. For the record, I have neck length hair and wearing a protective style such as cornrows is helping me to acheive this particular feat. I also use the baggie method doing the day, apply a wig cap, and then my instant weave, and I am on my way. As a result, my hair is hardly ever dry. I have a herd of new growth and am anxious to see how much growth I've retained. Hope I've helped and good luck with your relaxer stretch!

Last edited:
I use to do every 4 weeks also, but since joining the board, I know go from 6 t0 8 weeks. I tried stretching to 12 but I lost so much hair it was unreal. So now, I just do whatever my hair is telling me to do. When I start losing too much, I relax.

I relax about every 3 mths. I wouldnt be able to do it without braids in the last month and a half. So for a mth and a half I wear my hair regular, and for the rest of te next mth and ahalf I wear cornrow braids.

Back