How is a hooded dryer better for your hair than a handheld?

PeggyFair

Okay. I'm on the phone with my SO. He suffers from psoriasis so I told him to stop blowdrying his hair because of his condition. So I mentioned to him that I had purchased several vintage soft bonnet dryers off of Ebay and I was planning on taking one of them with me on my trip to the LHCF Vegas convention. So he asks "Why is it okay for you to use your soft bonnet dryer butI can't use my handheld dryer? Didn't you say that the heat is bad for your hair?" So I tell him that the soft bonnet dryer doesn't get as hot as the handheld dryer(even though I said this I wasn't totally sure). And he says "What about if I turn it on low?" I didn't have an answer.:look: I mean, I know that hooded dryers are better for your hair than regular blowdryers but now I realize I don't know why?? Somebody please explain this to me!!! lol

It's better for your hair because the heat isn't concentrated at any one part of your hair.

It's even heat applied to your whole head, instead of a really hot tool which can scorch parts of your hair.

you bought several?

-scanters off to ebay-

but yeah i assumed the general consensus was because it's not DIRECT heat.

maybe he could use a diffuser?

It's better for your hair because the heat isn't concentrated at any one part of your hair.

It's even heat applied to your whole head, instead of a really hot tool which can scorch parts of your hair.

Exactly. Think of it like a microwave. You know how when you put something in the microwave, you get some hot spots? i.e. some parts are more hot than others? Handheld hair dryers work the same way, they create hot spots on your hair, which equates to damage. Upright dryers on the other hand, create even, indirect heat, which is much less damaging.

This makes sense and this is what I thought but wasn't sure.

you bought several?

-scanters off to ebay-

but yeah i assumed the general consensus was because it's not DIRECT heat.

maybe he could use a diffuser?

LOL! Yep, I have 3 that I bought. The price was right so I couldn't resist. There's not a lot of competition on Ebay for these for some strange reason so I end up winning them for under 20 bucks. A diffuser? Hmm, I will run this by him.

Exactly. Think of it like a microwave. You know how when you put something in the microwave, you get some hot spots? i.e. some parts are more hot than others? Handheld hair dryers work the same way, they create hot spots on your hair, which equates to damage. Upright dryers on the other hand, create even, indirect heat, which is much less damaging.

Great analogy. I told him this and I think he understands now. thanks!

Back