How important is a partner's political/social beliefs?

How important is a partner's political/social beliefs?

• Very important

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • Somewhat important

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Not that important

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Not important at all

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What are political/social beliefs?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kismettt

How important is a partner's political/social beliefs to you? Have you or would you date someone who believes the exact opposite? How has that worked out? What issues (if any) has that caused?

very important. if a man isn't liberal/open minded i can't take him seriously. my political/social beliefs are a huge part of who i am.

if he is just the complete opposite......maybe you can go in my "for fun" pile for a short time. i can be REALLY shallow and entertain someone who is incredibly hot for a little bit. :look: :lol:

Very important! There are certain issues that aren't as important to me as others so I can let those slide, but if you're clashing with my big political/social beliefs then it's not going to work. We can be friends (and even then there's a limit), that's it. Like you said, those beliefs are a big part of who I am so going against them is going against ME. :yep: A few small political and social disagreements can make for some fun debates.

They are important to me as well. We don't have to have total agreement on everything, but should be generally aligned. And for issues that affect us personally, that's where we do need to see eye to eye.

When I was younger, I would have said very important. But now I just think it's somewhat important. The more I see and hear in the world of politics, the more I realize that the different parties/viewpoints typically all want a better country/community/etc. (And I mean this more on the individual level because obviously on the national stage this is not necessarily true.) What differs is how they go about it. So, now I would say what matters more is a partner's moral character. How do you treat others, particularly people in need, animals, children.

Extremely important to me. DH and I are both very traditional and conservative - it's one of the reasons he asked me to marry him after knowing each other for only two weeks. 22 years have gone by and we are still happy and in love! I would find it difficult to love someone who is my polar opposite politically/socially. Our values line up and, therefore, makes for a peaceful existence.

how can someone have kids, raise a home, work, etc, if yall don't agree on the same things? NONE of my friends in inter-religious relationships survived. none of my friends in inter-political relationships survived either.

it's more than important. it's essential.

Very! Next to religious/spiritual beliefs. I would shank a tea party muhfuh in the throat for standing next to me, much less marry one :look:

variety adds the spice of life.

i enjoy having debates regarding differing points of view. I can't see having an issue over this, who the hell wants a walking mime of themselves?

When I was younger, I would have said very important. But now I just think it's somewhat important. The more I see and hear in the world of politics, the more I realize that the different parties/viewpoints typically all want a better country/community/etc. (And I mean this more on the individual level because obviously on the national stage this is not necessarily true.) What differs is how they go about it. So, now I would say what matters more is a partner's moral character. How do you treat others, particularly people in need, animals, children.

I think your moral character and your political and social beliefs go hand in hand. :yep:

I recently realized just how important this was during the Trayvon Martin trial. After the verdict, he and I were both devastated, stayed up late a couple nights just talking about the case and racism, etc. I can't imagine me almost in tears and dh being like Zimmerman was in the right :nono:. We disagree on a few things here and there but generally have the same fundamental political views.

I recently realized just how important this was during the Trayvon Martin trial. After the verdict, he and I were both devastated, stayed up late a couple nights just talking about the case and racism, etc. I can't imagine me almost in tears and dh being like Zimmerman was in the right :nono:. We disagree on a few things here and there but generally have the same fundamental political views.

I had a conversation the day after the verdict with someone that apparently never even read an article regarding the case or even watched the news but seemed to side with Zimmerman! I had to correct ALOT of misinformation. But, it helped me to see even more clearly that we live in two different worlds...

It's very important. I've stopped dating men once I realized we didn't match up here. It comes down to how I want to raise my future children. I'm not willing to compromise here so no...:nono:

I see this as different from inter-faith relationships though.:look: My parents are different religions but they agree on politics and social issues.

Funny how responses differ in different forums. A similar question was posted in OT and when I said political beliefs were important they said that was childish. :lol: which makes me wonder what people who don't share political beliefs talk about since those beliefs carry forward into so many aspects of your life.

Quite! Political beliefs stem from so much and are over of your values, beliefs about the world, family upbringing, views on money, what news programming you watch/read..etc. I'm elated that the guy I'm dating now has a very similar outlook on politics. I personally could never be with a person who held very conservative beliefs..

I think it depends on the temperament of each person, and the relationship. I tend to enjoy well reasoned debates and can't imagine much of that from someone who mirrored my viewpoints. On the other hand, despite being a pretty easygoing person, I think it would be difficult (if not impossible) for me to raise a family or have a LTR with someone with polar opposite political views.
It's possible to agree on values or ideal political outcomes while disagreeing with the manifestation or execution. So I'd say the taste of the cake is more important than the recipe.
<<<<<<My two cents.

via LHCF App

Back