How I FINALLY Recovered From the Keratin Hair Loss!

CynamonKis

Hi All:

Well my hair has FINALLY grown back after my December, 2010 keratin hair loss. I experienced hair loss 6 months after the initial treatment. Then, stupidly allowed the stylist to apply a 2nd treatment in December, 2010. BUT, to deal with the hair loss, she applied DRC 28 to my hair, and had me sit under a hot dryer, then immediately applied the keratin. DRC28's instructions specifically advised not to use heat prior to a chemical service!!

My hair fell out, and I posted the pictures here. If you search the forum for posts from me, you will find the pics.

I was well on my way to bra-strap before it happened, had been natural for 5 years prior. My hair loss was so severe that I didn't even have enough hair for a weave - I had to wear wigs for a couple of months, then a weave!

I went to a wonderful trichologist who stopped the breakage using a DHT-inhibiting treatment protocol from HLCC Scripts: http://www.hlcconline.com/001HLCOMP30.html.

I also purchased a laser comb from her, but only used it for a couple of months because it was time consuming. I suppose I could have done this myself but I wanted the watchful eye of a professional.

After wearing a weave a couple of months, I had enough hair to pull back and bun. I washed my hair, moisturized it, and just kept bunning it, or using a tieback weave/phony pony.

Now I DO color my gray roots in the front when they grow in, but this is the only chemical I use. I may blow dry/flat iron my hair once every 2-3 months. I wash/condition my hair, and just apply leave ins, and keep my hair pulled back using a phony bun, or bun my own hair (which is now long enough to do). On occasional weekends, I apply leave-ins & wear my natural curls.

My hair is almost back to its former glory, as shown on my avatar here. I will NEVER do keratin again, or use relaxers!

My hair is 3a/3b. Products I use:

Elucence Shampoo & conditioner

Daily Leave-ins:

Water (from shower)
Rainforest Radiance Hair Butter for Coloured Hair (from The Body Shop) AND
Kinky-Curly Knot Today

I hope this helps someone else. Best to reply to this thread with your email address if you want to private message me because I don't come here often anymore-But this is the BEST haircare forum ever. When I lost my hair in 2003 due to a stylist mis-hap, the advice from this Forum helped me recover and grow my hair back!

Oh yeah, I don't go to stylists anymore either!

Thanks for this post. I got my keratin treatment in October 2012. I actually never associated the breakage with the keratin treatment until reading your comments today, probably because it didn't happen immediately after the treatment.

I've always had a small spot in crown area that was shorter than the rest of my hair. But now, an extremely huge area in the middle of my hair is gone. I found a stylist who has been flat twisting my hair the past few months, and putting the bun over the middle to hide the breakage. But I can't wear this style forever. My hair was 100% natural and APL. Now, I just have to cut it all off and start over again :cry:

Glad your hair has grown back.

Glad your hair has recovered! I can relate! What is keratin? You mean BKT? If so, I think I remember your post a long time ago and searched for it recently. That was the wirst BKT horror story ever. Is DRC like apogee 2step? Off to do a search.

Thank you all for the kind words. Neeki, unfortunately Keratin damage, from my experience takes months to detect. For me, only DHT – blocking shampoos and conditioners worked (see the link in my original post for the products are used). My trichologist cut my hair off and started all over, because the damage left my hair so uneven.

Virtuenow, The keratin treatment I used was Pravana, which at the time seemed to be the least harmful on the market.

DRC-28 Is similar to Apogee but much more powerful, More expensive, but for me well worth the extra cost. It was one of the only treatments that I found to actually work immediately to stop breakage dead in its tracks. But in my case, with this keratin damage, only DHT blockers worked to stop my hair from breaking.

Back