How Far Have You Traveled For Your Hair?

naturalmanenyc

I recall people traveling to see Reneice in the DMV area from significant distances. She has some amazing transformations on her website using weave as a prtoective style while helping clients grow out their own hair.

How far have you (would you) travel for your hair?

Not far at all. I've gone to Harlem one time to get flat twists and Shirley Temple's in the late 90's, early millennia. Other than that, not more than ten miles from my house.

Reniece is amazing though.

i havent since i live in the big apple and the stylist i go to are official...
but i would if i had to.....

ive seen some amazing work and a good stylist is hard to find.

I would travel to MD from NYC to go to my old stylist back in the day. So about 3 1/2 hours away.

When I first moved to NYC, I would travel back to VA to my old stylist, about 6.5 hours, but it was always scheduled around a holiday when I'd already be visiting.

I live in Seattle and traveled all the way to Vancouver, BC (as in Canada, a 5-6 hour journey roundtrip) for some conditioner and henna. Yes, it was that serious.

:look:.

Don't judge a ****.

I live in Seattle and traveled all the way to Vancouver, BC (as in Canada, a 5-6 hour journey roundtrip) for some conditioner and henna. Yes, it was that serious.

:look:.

Don't judge a ****.

Judging you....lol but for real this made me laugh. I would also love to know what conditioner and (particular) henna had you feenin?

No more than an hour.

I knew someone a long time ago who would travel from DC to CA every two months for her hair appointment, though she pretended she was going back home so often to see her family. :giggle:

What conditioner did you purchase ? It's not avail online ?

Curelle and Praire Naturals Conditioners and no, it was not available online at the time. See, what had happened was, DH and I went to Vancouver for a quick trip and the PJ in me got to browsing around Whole Foods and the next thing you know, those condishes were in my cart and then I got hooked. I gave a bottle of Curelle to my little sis and soon, she too was hooked and then we planned our trip to BC for The Big Conditioner Score of 2010. I called every Whole Foods in Vancouver and had them set a box or 2 aside for us. We drove home with boxes of condish (and our bellies filled with delicious Indian food!) and the man at customs was like WTH but I didn't care: I WAS ON A MISSION.
I had one job.
Mission, accomplished.

Judging you....lol but for real this made me laugh. I would also love to know what conditioner and (particular) henna had you feenin?

I shouldn't tell yo judge-y self nothing but the conditioners were Curelle (2 different kinds, one with protein, one without, great for cowashing, DCs, twist outs at first but then I discovered the BTMS in them wouldn't let my hair be great) and Praire Naturals (great for DCs but I've since found better). As for the henna, I can't remember. I just know Vancouver has a Little India and they had it ALL: henna, amla, vatika, holy basil, neem, etc, etc, etc. It was LHCF paradise!

Info on the Curelle Conditioners, for those who are interested: http://www.aviva.ca/shop/products.asp?itemid=2680

RESLITE and RICHE Conditioners - What's The Difference?

Riche is a rich, concentrated conditioner with oat amino acids to help strengthen hair. It helps to balance hair whether air is humid or dry, adjusting to different humidity level. You can make it less rich by applying less, and by rinsing it off more quickly. It helps to detangle most hair types. It can also be used as a leave in conditioner.

Treslite performs like a medium to light conditioner, helping to detangle, and it can also be left in. It doesn't coat hair as much as Riche, so it's typically better suited for thinner, finer hair. However, this is just a guideline, as everyone wants their hair to look and feel differently than the next person, even if they have the same hair type. The richer a conditioner, the more it can weigh hair down. Treslite has a low pH to help close the cuticle quicker without the extra conditioning which Riche has.

Curelle conditioners are of course unscented, and there are only a few ingredients in them, which allows the active ingredients to perform better. Curelle doesn't add oils to these conditioners, as oil (while it can coat hair), can also attract and dirt and other particles, making your hair dirtier more quickly.

The one word most women use to describe how they like Riche Conditioner is 'love'. While there is no one conditioner in the world that works for everyone to make their hair look and feel the way they would like it to be, Riche Conditioner has a large following who swear by it, and have so since Riche was first launched.

Ingredients:

Riche Conditioner: Aqua/Distilled Water; Behentrimonium Methosulphate** (from Colza oil); Hydrolysed Oats/Avena Sativa; Cetearyl Alcohol (non-drying); Lonicera Japonica. **not related to sodium or ammonium lauryl sulphate.

Treslite Conditioner: Aqua/Distilled Water; Behentrimonium Methosulphate** (from Colza oil); Cetearyl Alcohol (non-drying); Lonicera Japonica; Citric Acid. **not related to sodium or ammonium lauryl sulphate.

ETA: I used the Curelle gel, too, and liked it

Last edited:
I recall people traveling to see Reneice in the DMV area from significant distances. She has some amazing transformations on her website using weave as a prtoective style while helping clients grow out their own hair.

How far have you (would you) travel for your hair?
Every time someone mentions Reneice I want to die! I need a stylist like her in my life!

Back