How essential is Keratin to healthy hair?

changedname

I'm just a little confused...

I currently use protein treatments whenever I need them. I either use an egg conditioner (egg, EVOO, honey, mayo, cheapy conditioner) or Motions CPR. But I recently read some stuff on the internet about Keratin. A few ladies have suggested that regular protein treatments might not be enough to keep hair in optimum condition, especially if the hair is relaxed. Instead they've said that hair needs Keratin otherwise nothing else (moisture etc) will work in the long term.

Does anyone know if this is true? Have other ladies hair. especially if relaxed, been ok without regular Keratin treatments? Is there any Keratin in egg? :ohwell:

The hair is made of keratin and chemical processes like relaxing and coloring break down the keratin. That's why you find many people needing to do hard protein treatments that have human hair keratin in them (aphogee 2 step for example).

Can relaxed hair thrive without keratin protein? Sure. But it depends on the many factors. Some people can relax and just use moisturizing proteins and be perfectly fine. Some people who relax NEED to do hard protein treatments (with keratin) in order to have healthy strong hair, it's all relative. You have to judge for yourself whether you need it.

Egg does not have keratin in it.

Back