How Does This Henna Mix Sound?

Dymmeonds

Ladies I am so scared and need some reassurance/help/something. I just mixed my first batch of henna and plan on applying tomorrow morning. I want like a 1b Dark Chestnut color and some strong healthy bling.

My mix went as follows:
Steeped 2 bags of Green Tea, 2 bags of Green Tea w/ Jasmine and 2 bags of Spiced Black Tea poured it into mix with
about 200g of Kalustyan's Fresh Henna (Indian Store Brand) and
about 30g of Neesh Amla Powder and
added a capful of lemon juice and
2 tablespoons of Perfumed Coconut Oil

How does that sound ladies?
I just placed it in a bag in a plastic container to set overnight, but if there is anything you think I should add PLEASE let me know!

Thanks in advance for your help!

I've used henna before but I've never used that brand. I use Jamilla. Check around BEFORE you put that in your hair. Some hennas react badly to metallic salts (?) in color and/or relaxer. That's why you should use BAQ henna (Body Art Quality.) Do a search and read up on it a little. There are LOADS of threads here. Hope that made sense. I'm kinda sleepy.

In my henna mix and gloss I usually use some evoo, hot water, coconut oil, and a few squirts of conditioner. I use more oil and conditioner for the gloss and less for the henna mix.

I've used henna before but I've never used that brand. I use Jamilla. Check around BEFORE you put that in your hair. Some hennas react badly to metallic salts (?) in color and/or relaxer. That's why you should use BAQ henna (Body Art Quality.) Do a search and read up on it a little. There are LOADS of threads here. Hope that made sense. I'm kinda sleepy.

In my henna mix and gloss I usually use some evoo, hot water, coconut oil, and a few squirts of conditioner. I use more oil and conditioner for the gloss and less for the henna mix.

Thanks I did A LOT of reading, but still a little shaky and unsure. I made sure it is BAQ Mahandi Henna (Natural Red). I have seen a thread where another New Yorker has gone to Kalustyans (the name of the store) to purchase their Ayurvedic powders because they are fresh at the store and raved about it, but I don't think anyone has mentioned using their Henna.

I was just mixing Henna and letting it set for the night too. I am helping my Aunt with her hair tomorrow. I have never used Henna before (Used Cassia for the first time last week). I only mixed mine with water and I will be doing Indigo for her too.
I have no advise for you, but from what I have read, I think your mix sounds good, as long as you have good quality henna. I bought mine from Hennasooq.com

Overall, your mix looks okay but I do have some recommendations based on applying henna to my own hair.

Henna in and of itself is acidic so I personally don't use lemon juice in my henna mixes and I get good dye release. Also, Amla is high in vitamin C also so it is also acidic. Since you wanted a brown tone the Amla was a good idea to tone down the red. Teas are also mildly acidic. If you can, add Chamomile tea to your mix. It will tone down the brassiness and cut down on the tangles usually experienced post-henna rinse. I got the Chamomile tea idea from the www.hennaforhair.com Forum

Does the perfumed Coconut oil contain glycerin? Glycerin has been known to inhibit dye uptake into the hair. I use EVOO or an EVOO:Coconut oil (3:1) mixture in my mixes. But I am not familiar with perfumed Coconut oil. What brand is it?

Whether your hair will end up a fried out mess: Burned? No. Tangled? Most likey, yes. That's why I recommend the Chamomile tea. How does your hair react to acidic rinses like ACV? My hair does not react well to ACV rinses. That's why I stopped using lemon juice in my henna mixes. My hair reacted the same way.

Last recommendation - use a moisturizer conditioner to help get the henna out and to also DC your hair after you get it out. Nexxus Humectress is good. I don't recommend shampoo b/c it will strip your hair even more. At this time, during and post-henna rinse the hair needs a lot of moisture and TLC.

Your hair will most likely feel like straw when you rinse the henna out. Mine does. I wear protective styles the first few days post henna. After about 72 hours I do another moisture DC to get my hair feeling normal. Also, the color will oxidize in about that time so you really won't know if your formula was right until then.

Good luck and HTH,
IvyS

I agree with Ivy. I never mix lemon (or anything else) with my henna and the dye still releases. I also use conditioner to help wash the henna out.

Does the perfumed Coconut oil contain glycerin? Coconut Oil, Parfum, Tertiary Butyl Hydroxy Quinone

I use EVOO or an EVOO:Coconut oil (3:1) mixture in my mixes. But I am not familiar with perfumed Coconut oil. What brand is it? Ancient Formulae

How does your hair react to acidic rinses like ACV? I have never done one.

Last recommendation - use a moisturizer conditioner to help get the henna out and to also DC your hair after you get it out. Nexxus Humectress is good. I don't recommend shampoo b/c it will strip your hair even more. At this time, during and post-henna rinse the hair needs a lot of moisture and TLC. Will do...Moisturizing Condish right?!!

Your hair will most likely feel like straw when you rinse the henna out. :sad:

Good luck and HTH,THANKS SOOO MUCH (Next time no lemon)

I don't mean to hijack your thead OP, but a quick question to the pros...If I will be using indigo, should I rinse the henna, cowash and then indigo and DC or should I rinse the henna, cowash, DC and then indigo and another DC?

Also, when can I mix in the Amla powder? I made my mix last night and I will be using it this morning, is it too late to mix in the Amla powder?
TIA

Last edited:
I don't know nothing bout no henna....but i just wanted to say good luck!! i hope it works super well

I don't mean to hijack your thead OP, but a quick question to the pros...If I will be using indigo, should I rinse the henna, cowash and then indigo and DC or should I rinse the henna, cowash, DC and then indigo and another DC?

Also, when can I mix in the Amla powder? I made my mix last night and I will be using it this morning, is it too late to mix in the Amla powder?
TIA

It's not necessary to DC after henna then indigo. One DC is enough. When I double process henna then indigo I only rinse the henna out, towel dry 'til the hair stops dripping then I add the indigo. However, I don't see a problem with the co-wash in between. It will help get more of the henna powder out of your hair.

It's not too late to add Amla. You can add the Amla after the henna dye-release. The hennaforhair.com web-site recommends it. But I've done both methods and I didn't see a problem with dye release. :yep:

Overall, your mix looks okay but I do have some recommendations based on applying henna to my own hair.

Henna in and of itself is acidic so I personally don't use lemon juice in my henna mixes and I get good dye release. Also, Amla is high in vitamin C also so it is also acidic. Since you wanted a brown tone the Amla was a good idea to tone down the red. Teas are also mildly acidic. If you can, add Chamomile tea to your mix. It will tone down the brassiness and cut down on the tangles usually experienced post-henna rinse. I got the Chamomile tea idea from the www.hennaforhair.com Forum

Does the perfumed Coconut oil contain glycerin? Glycerin has been known to inhibit dye uptake into the hair. I use EVOO or an EVOO:Coconut oil (3:1) mixture in my mixes. But I am not familiar with perfumed Coconut oil. What brand is it?

Whether your hair will end up a fried out mess: Burned? No. Tangled? Most likey, yes. That's why I recommend the Chamomile tea. How does your hair react to acidic rinses like ACV? My hair does not react well to ACV rinses. That's why I stopped using lemon juice in my henna mixes. My hair reacted the same way.

Last recommendation - use a moisturizer conditioner to help get the henna out and to also DC your hair after you get it out. Nexxus Humectress is good. I don't recommend shampoo b/c it will strip your hair even more. At this time, during and post-henna rinse the hair needs a lot of moisture and TLC.

Your hair will most likely feel like straw when you rinse the henna out. Mine does. I wear protective styles the first few days post henna. After about 72 hours I do another moisture DC to get my hair feeling normal. Also, the color will oxidize in about that time so you really won't know if your formula was right until then.

Good luck and HTH,
IvyS
This is why I am in :love3: with this board....I'm making my henna with Chamomile Tea as my warm water....:thankyou:

It's not necessary to DC after henna then indigo. One DC is enough. When I double process henna then indigo I only rinse the henna out, towel dry 'til the hair stops dripping then I add the indigo. However, I don't see a problem with the co-wash in between. It will help get more of the henna powder out of your hair.

It's not too late to add Amla. You can add the Amla after the henna dye-release. The hennaforhair.com web-site recommends it. But I've done both methods and I didn't see a problem with dye release. :yep:
Thanks girl. I did the henna and Indigo for my Aunt. We were so excited about experimenting. The results were amazing. So much bling and all her greys are no more. She is happy, I am happier:grin:
Thanks for all your help ladies and thanks OP for starting this thread. I hope your henna turned out great.

Good luck and HTH,
IvyS

:bouncy::thankyou::thankyou::kiss:

Thank you for helping me with your incredibly detailed advice. I did not actually add chamomile, but I will definitely try it next time and mix with no lemon. My hair did not come out like straw and that is because I took notice of what you said and DC with MOISTURE MOISTURE MOISTURE. Now my hair is just strong and shiny and with hardly noticeable grays (which especially makes my SIL/stylist happy b/c she doesn't believe anyone under 50 should have grays, much less me at 28).:thankyou:

Thank you for helping me with your incredibly detailed advice. I did not actually add chamomile, but I will definitely try it next time and mix with no lemon. My hair did not come out like straw and that is because I took notice of what you said and DC with MOISTURE MOISTURE MOISTURE. Now my hair is just strong and shiny and with hardly noticeable grays (which especially makes my SIL/stylist happy b/c she doesn't believe anyone under 50 should have grays, much less me at 28).:thankyou:
I agree with your stylist!! I have a lot of new grays coming in as a result of using MT every day, I have new baby hairs every where and half of them them are fine gray hairs.

I ordered some henna from hennaforhair.com yesterday and I am looking forward to doing a gloss next weekend. Your thread was very helpful for me too, it encouraged me to take the plunge!!

Great thread, super advice and I love that chamomile tea tip!!! :clap:

I have a lot of new grays coming in as a result of using MT every day, I have new baby hairs every where and half of them them are fine gray hairs.

Ohh do you think MT did that to you? well, I had lots before I started using MT a month ago (I always prayed for a gray streak in the front and ended up with lots of gray strands disbursed in the front) but I wonder if MT will exacerbate it?:perplexed

Thanks girl. I did the henna and Indigo for my Aunt. We were so excited about experimenting. The results were amazing. So much bling and all her greys are no more. She is happy, I am happier
Thanks for all your help ladies and thanks OP for starting this thread. I hope your henna turned out great.

Yipeeeeeeee :clap: I'm so happy about every one's success.
How did the color turn out? Did you get the results you wanted?

Last edited:
Back