How do you use Porosity Control?

so so chic

I bought this a while ago by Roux i think, and I don't know how to use it. I noticed that they make a shampoo too, but I won't be using that. And on the bottle it says that its for using before or after a chemical service. Is it ok for me to use it even if I'm not coloring or relaxing my hair? And, if it is ok, should I put the porosity control on my hair 1) before i shampoo, then rinse it out and shampoo, condition, etc. 2) after i shampoo, but before i condition, or 3) ater i've shampooed and conditioned my hair?

BTW, I did use it on Saturday, and I wet my hair, put it on, left it for a few minutes (whatever time the bottle says), and then rinsed and shampooed. Was this right?

I traditionally use porosity control after a relaxer to optimise the ph in my hair. I also use it the further along into my relaxer stretch I go to minimise knotting at the roots. I believe there are other members that use it if there's a shampoo or conditioner they have used with a higher ph balance.

so so chic said:
I bought this a while ago by Roux i think, and I don't know how to use it. I noticed that they make a shampoo too, but I won't be using that. And on the bottle it says that its for using before or after a chemical service. Is it ok for me to use it even if I'm not coloring or relaxing my hair? And, if it is ok, should I put the porosity control on my hair 1) before i shampoo, then rinse it out and shampoo, condition, etc. 2) after i shampoo, but before i condition, or 3) ater i've shampooed and conditioned my hair?

BTW, I did use it on Saturday, and I wet my hair, put it on, left it for a few minutes (whatever time the bottle says), and then rinsed and shampooed. Was this right?

Hello, I've never used this product but I wanted to jack your thread to tell you that your hair is really gorgeous!

I used this for the first time this weekend because my new growth is out of control. I clarified, shampooed then put on the Roux porosity control. I sat under the hair dryer for about 20 mins. Rinsed and applied a leave in and let my hair air dryed with crunching it. It really did come out really soft. I didnt use any thing different then I use when I airdry and it was a lot softer than normal. I plan on using this twice a month and right before my relaxer and the 1st wash after. I give it an A++++

bablou00 said:
I used this for the first time this weekend because my new growth is out of control. I clarified, shampooed then put on the Roux porosity control. I sat under the hair dryer for about 20 mins. Rinsed and applied a leave in and let my hair air dryed with crunching it. It really did come out really soft. I didnt use any thing different then I use when I airdry and it was a lot softer than normal. I plan on using this twice a month and right before my relaxer and the 1st wash after. I give it an A++++

So basically, this is used as your conditioner? Would it be considered a deep conditoner, b/c I'm in Bootcamp and dc with every wash? Or could i use another conditioner before or after it? Thanks :)

I dont use it alone to deep condition, but I do add some to the conditioner I will be using to DC (Nexxus Phyto Humectin/Humectress/ORS Pak). I sit under the dryer for 20 min and rinse. It makes my hair feel extra soft and gives it slip. It also helps my hair to retain moisture better. I do this every few weeks. I especially do it on the wash before and after my relaxers. Posority Control is the truth!

JazzyDez said:
I dont use it alone to deep condition, but I do add some to the conditioner I will be using to DC (Nexxus Phyto Humectin/Humectress/ORS Pak). I sit under the dryer for 20 min and rinse. It makes my hair feel extra soft and gives it slip. It also helps my hair to retain moisture better. I do this every few weeks. I especially do it on the wash before and after my relaxers. Posority Control is the truth!

Thanks JazzyDez, I'll try that next time :)

I use Porosity Control in conjunction with my color. I apply my color, rinse, apply the PC conditioner for 5 minutes, rinse and then deep condition. My hais is always super soft and the color lasts longer and is more vibrant when I do this.

I use my PC after every henna treatment and most shampooings. I apply for 1-5 minutes while in the shower, detangle and rinse. It never fails to whip my hair back into shape!

Thanks for the thread I forgot I had this at home. I used it a few months ago the week after my relaxer and in between as an extra boost before my deep conditioners. If anything I got major slip with it.

Thanks for this post. I just purchased the conditioner from Sally's tonight. I'm going to wash tomorrow. I'll have to post my results later this week.

Roux Mendex Hair Repair is the same conditioner with a touch of protein in it. It is one of my staples, I deep condition with it for 15 minutes and it makes my hair feel like down.

CAPlush said:
Roux Mendex Hair Repair is the same conditioner with a touch of protein in it. It is one of my staples, I deep condition with it for 15 minutes and it makes my hair feel like down.

Mendex is so much more creamier than the Porosity Control conditioner in my opinion. The same? You mean as far as ingredients are concerned?

I like the PC conditioner for slip, but it is just not thick and yummy enough for me to use alone. As a rinse only, it is great for me. I only buy it when sally's has a sale like that last one - but it and get the shampoo free. (I HEART that dang PC shampoo)!

Roux makes great products, IMO.

HoneyDew said:
Mendex is so much more creamier than the Porosity Control conditioner in my opinion. The same? You mean as far as ingredients are concerned?

I like the PC conditioner for slip, but it is just not thick and yummy enough for me to use alone. As a rinse only, it is great for me. I only buy it when sally's has a sale like that last one - but it and get the shampoo free. (I HEART that dang PC shampoo)!

Roux makes great products, IMO.

Oh, I don't know about the ingredients being the same, I meant the same line of products.

CAPlush said:
Oh, I don't know about the ingredients being the same, I meant the same line of products.

oh okay. But, Mendex is really good. I am not sure I like the way it smells, but it works well all the same. :) I have a bottle of it that I use from time to time.

They make a shampoo called Alpha 5-n-1. I heard it is like CON but I have never tried it.

I learned from someone on the board to apply it to my relaxed hair, esp ends, prior to a relaxer to protect the already relaxed hair from the relaxer application.

I don't really like PC by itself, but I love to mix a bit with any other deep/ moisturizing conditioner to make it work 10x better!

SerenityBreeze said:
I learned from someone on the board to apply it to my relaxed hair, esp ends, prior to a relaxer to protect the already relaxed hair from the relaxer application.

great idea!

I used PC for the 1st time yesterday. After my DC, I put PC in my hair for 15 minutes. It definitely didn't give me a lot of slip and made detangling a hot mess. But it did come out softer and a lot less heavier than I'm used to. I'll have to update later this week on whether or not it's helped with my bad breakage.

SerenityBreeze said:

thanks for posting this SerenityBreeze. Today I brought a sample size of the CHI silk infusion to apply before relaxers. Once it runs out I will purchase this to try.

I use PC after the first neutralizing wash after relaxing. I leave on for 10-15 minutes and then continue with 2 or 3 more washes. It returns my hair back to normal pH and ensures all of the relaxer is gone. I also use it every 6 weeks after my heavy protein/deep conditioner treatment.

Oduwu: The PC always gives me major slip after my DC. If you don't get the same, try mixing with your DC next time.;)

Oduwu: The PC always gives me major slip after my DC. If you don't get the same, try mixing with your DC next time.;)[/quote]

This is what I do too.

I just bought a mini bottle to check it out. Mixed it with some other stuff in my daily spray. I really do not know if I'm using it correctly. I cannot imagine wetting my hair with anything 'prior' to relaxing as the bottle suggests, perhaps post neutralizer.
Has anyone noticed that the same company {Colomer} which makes C.O.N. also makes Roux?

I mix it too. I like it best mixed with Elasta QP DPR-11 and some EVOO.

I've had bad experiences with PC as well (tangles). It doesn't mix well with everything. So I stick to the mix that works.

Back