• "Sealer" for moisturizers

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Oil for the scalp

Votes: 7 7.3%
  • Oil Rinsing

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Mix with conditioners, butters, etc

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • More than one of the above ( please specify)

Votes: 54 56.3%
  • Other ( please specify)

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • I don't use any oils

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

thinkpinkprincess

Hey y'all, I just wanted to find out exactly how you ladies use oils. I'm still experimenting with this, and I think my hair likes oils mixed in with butters and conditioners, but not necessarily hot oil treatments ( I have yet to try an "oil rinse" though... in fact, I'm not even sure what one is :ohwell:) anyway, how do you use oils in a way that adds softness and natural looking shine with out adding to much greasiness and weighing your hair down?

I like to use my oils most of the ways you have listed. My favorite way is to seal in the moisture after using my Neutrogena silk touch leave-in. I also like to add it sometimes to my favorite conditioners. I'll use it to make pre-poo treatments. I love oils:grin:....Since using them, I've never looked back. They really keep my hair moisturized and condition.

I voted more than one way....

I might use nothing but oil as a leave-in on soaking wet hair (coconut oil), but more often than not, I wet my hair daily, spritz in some oil, comb through and rinse it out (it leaves a light residue). Then I add a small amount of conditioner and sometimes a little light gel.

If I don't use oil, I definitely use a buttery product. I need something oily everyday.

I just pour them over my head and go 'ahhhhh' LOL

no really, I use them after a wash, rinse, on dry hair, on wet hair, with conditioner or without , I use them any way I feel like it at the time

But usually if you use them just after a wash/rinse alone overnight more will absorb because your not using anything else to make your hair reach 'saturation'

here was the first oil rinse thread here , done by 'me; pouring oil over my head and squeezing it out LOL, there have been many variations of it since, and even I would do it that way still at some point if I really wanted to for some reason or another, but instead I would rather choose a way to not waste so much oil, or use a very cheap one for this , but it did work like a charm!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=92036

I voted more than one way....

I might use nothing but oil as a leave-in on soaking wet hair (coconut oil), but more often than not, I wet my hair daily, spritz in some oil, comb through and rinse it out (it leaves a light residue). Then I add a small amount of conditioner and sometimes a little light gel.

If I don't use oil, I definitely use a buttery product. I need something oily everyday.

Me too! Anytime my hair hits water

I use it as a pre-poo hot oil treatment (Vatika hair oil) the night before I wash my hair which is every other day... then I use it to seal my soaking wet hair after I wash it (Castor Oil)... I bc-ed in January... my hair was.. honestly an inch with shrinkage.. probably 2inches straight (I need to upload pics) now 6 months later my hair can go into a pont tail (when straightened) WITH about 2-3inches of hair at the end I LOVE OIL!!!:grin:

I use it as a pre-poo hot oil treatment (Vatika hair oil) the night before I wash my hair which is every other day... then I use it to seal my soaking wet hair after I wash it (Castor Oil)... I bc-ed in January... my hair was.. honestly an inch with shrinkage.. probably 2inches straight (I need to upload pics) now 6 months later my hair can go into a pont tail (when straightened) WITH about 2-3inches of hair at the end I LOVE OIL!!!:grin:
i love oil soooo much!

i love oil soooo much!

You know I actually loved the Castor Oil so much I started using it on my skin after I took a shower and my skin is sooo soft.. my fam always makes fun of me cause I walk around the house looking greasy for the next 10min but once I'm ready to leave I just put a little bit of scented lotion on my arms so I won't smell like co and my skin has never felt better! I've only been doing this for like... 1-2 weeks and I'm lovinn it :yep:

Oil rinsing before my cowash a few times a week

Mix with my DC and some cheapies to doctor them up

Oil my scalp/hair

I use oil for scalp stimulation at night when I message. I also use castor oil to seal my ends after I moisturize!

You know I actually loved the Castor Oil so much I started using it on my skin after I took a shower and my skin is sooo soft.. my fam always makes fun of me cause I walk around the house looking greasy for the next 10min but once I'm ready to leave I just put a little bit of scented lotion on my arms so I won't smell like co and my skin has never felt better! I've only been doing this for like... 1-2 weeks and I'm lovinn it :yep:

yeah I have put oils/butters in my bath its the bomb!

still experimenting with this, and I think my hair likes oils mixed in with butters and conditioners, but not necessarily hot oil treatments ( I have yet to try an "oil rinse" though... in fact, I'm not even sure what one is :ohwell:)
ITA...i did a hot oil rinse and it was breakage city, but i add EVOO and africas best to my DCs all the time. i just did kenra mc + AB oil + castor oil on my mom and her hair is sooooo soft. i used to seal with it but not so much now since i usually do a WNG just loaded with conditioner...when i was transitioning i added castor oil to the moisturizer and my ends would always feel superb...i also add it to my MT to cut it.

Oil Pulling (does this count for hair? I started it last year after my relaxer and I had NG after three or four days!!!)
Add them to deep conditioners (a little bit of mixology)
Also just add after using my moisturizer.

I use oils every few days to add shine and every day a week before a touch up to protect my previously relaxed hair from the new relaxer application. If I'm really far into a stretch I'll use it before a wash to protect my hair from the sometimes drying effects of shampoos.

after washing (used plain), in deep conditioning treatments & mixed in some conditioner (use after washing). i use castor oil and olive oil.

Sorry OP, don't mean to hijack your thread, but what about Essential oils? How do you guys use them?

BTW: I use coconut oil for sealing and a mix of other oils for hot oil treatments and added to conditioner. I think my natural hair loves oils.

I use mine to 'seal' in my leave-in conditioner on wet hair (Lisa's Hair Elixir by CD). I also use it to seal in my moisturizer on my damp or dry hair (Extra Virgin Coconut Oil). Sometimes, I may put some coco oil with rosemary oil on my scalp, but I've noticed that my scalp just likes to be left alone, so I do that very sparingly.

Oh, and I also 'seal'/add (more like 'seal' b/c I hate mixing things in a bowl to apply to my head) oil to my deep conditioner sometimes (usually coco oil or Jamaican Black Castor Oil). Sometimes, I seal my ends with JBCO too if I'm wearing a bun.

I use oil in many ways (castor oil)... To seal my ends; as a leave in when air drying; I use tea tree oil as a antiseptic on my scalp; to smooth my hair and sometimes a touch in my deep conditioner.

I use oils as a sealant for moisturizers rarely. I mostly use them as a prepoo or sometimes i use a dab for shine (instead of one of my heavy moisturizers) when i'm wearing my freshly retouched hair out.

This should be a multiple choice poll because i do almost all of them!:lachen:

How I use my oils:
* Mix with butters
* Seal
* mix with conditioners
* Apply to scalp
* Prepoo
* Mix with relaxers

Last edited:
I use oil as a pre-shampoo treatment.

I use it to seal in my daily moisturizer and along my hairline.

I use it to add to my deep conditioner.

For some reason I can't use it to seal in my leave-in. It makes my hair crunchy.:ohwell:

I use oil at night for a scalp massage & lightly in the morning before I unwrap my hair & sometimes as a leave-in when I wash my hair myself. I love Doo Grow Anti-Itch and Growth Oils. They are inexpensive, they smell good, and they don't weigh my hair down. Now Jasmine Oil is wonderful- my fav brand is Oscar Blandi but it's too pricey.

I use oils for oil rinsing
sealing
mix with my butters
infusing
prepoos
oiling scalp

And I love black castor oil

I use oils as a pre poo when I do ayurvedic powder rinses. (once a week).

I like to infuse my own ayurvedic oils, they seem to soften my hair the best.

Other than what I make I only use EVOO, or Wheat Germ oil.
I mix the two with butters. (I do want to try Hemp oil).

If I seal I use the butter/oil mix and then I might add a dime size amount of homemade ayurvedic oil to my hair after.

I have started using ORS Olive Oil moisturizing hair lotion. My hair seems to really like this when I do WNG's. I add after my leave in conditioner. I don't use much tho.

My hair really doesn't care for oil. It lays on my hair and leaves it very, very crunchy. Anything water based, my hair loves.

I don't care for EO's either, I usually like the natural scent of the butters better. Or add herb infused oil or water for scent.

For the longest time, I thought my hair HATED oil because it would get sooo crunchy every time I used it.

The last few weeks though, I've been experimenting with castor oil applied VERY lightly to my hair and ends, and it's making my hair lighter and looser - I'm really kinda hooked on it - esp. when I'm fingercombing my dry hair.

I also mix it into my MT mix. I haven't been putting it in conditioners - maybe I'll try that with the last of the jojoba oil I have. :yep:

My Indian friend has me sprung on hot oil treatments w/ coconut oil or almond oil or vatika oil or amla oil. Saturate, bun over night and then wash with shikaikai tea. Im loving this so far..... :yep:

Back