How do YOU take care of your hair in braids?

I have had braids for less than a week and daily I spritz my hair and scalp with my EVOO, Conditioner, Water concoction and seal (and oil my scalp) with Unrefined Coconut Oil. I plan on wearing these for 8 months. Ofcourse, I will be getting them redone every now and then.

I plan to wash by either pouring diluted shampoo and water ( 12 oz water with 1 TB Creme of Nature) or diluted ACV with water (12 oz water with 2 TB ACV) on my scalp and hair. I will probably alternate between the two. I was just wondering HOW am I going to condition with them?

Does this look okay?

After I take them out, I plan to wash, do a protein (egg mixed with Conditioner) and do a moisturizing DC and let my hair rest for a day or two and re-braid.

Does this look okay?

Should I be doing something else? The last thing I want is braids to act as a set back for my growth.

Seems fine to me. I'm doing something similar. I spray my scalp with diluted juices and berries, I added a little evoo to it as well. And I spray the length of my braids with a water and coconut oil mixture. When it needs to be washed I plan on using an acv rinse and I'll probably condition it the same way. When it's take down time it will need some protein so I'll use nexxus. I'll probably take it down with evoo.

I would suggest having them in for 3 months max at a time so your hair can get a break. From my experience if I keep doing braids back to back with no breather My hair loses its thickness. Trying not to oil so close to the scalp to reduce buildup would be a good idea as well. I haven't had extensions in for awhile but I'm sure others will help you out some.

Looks good to me. Like the earlier poster said, i wouldn't wear braids longer than 3 months.

When I condition, I pour diluted conditioner over my braids and scalp and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinse out. I just did this yesterday, and my braids, scalp & extension hair feel so moisturized. I also wash with my braids in 4 big braids, to prevent slippage. To dry I sit under a warm dryer for about 15-20 minutes after towel drying (I have human hair braids btw).

Take a good two weeks at least to give you scalp a chance to rest! Even with the most careful take down you will have tenderness in your scalp if you braid your hair 3 days later.

Also consider adding some kind of strengthener to your daily spritz like infusium 23 or some keratin type mist

I have never tried keratin personally but I have heard great thing about it in threads

. I have done Infusium and it makes a huge difference! When I take out my braids my hair is incredibly moisturized and I do not loose any length because it keeps my end healthy and strong.

only thing is I dilute the infusium alot..... im talking 1/4 infusium 3/4 water sometimes less. and once a week if need be I would oil my scalp

sounds good to me.

I actually have kinky twists in my hair now but I moisturize it daily with my mix of conditioner, aloe vera juice, EVCO, EVOO, rosemary and peppermint oils. ( I usually have glycerin as well but it's getting cold so I took it out). Every 3-4 days, I spritz with Taliah Waajid Mist bodifer. I deep condition every 2-3 weeks with a diluted mix of Suave Naturals and a thick conditioner. Following with an ACV rinse. Sometimes I shampoo instead (diluted). I plan on keeping these for 2 months or so, rebraiding the outer perimeters (nape, etc) every 2 weeks.

I've never tried the keratin spray but I really really want to!

I would suggest having them in for 3 months max at a time so your hair can get a break. From my experience if I keep doing braids back to back with no breather My hair loses its thickness. Trying not to oil so close to the scalp to reduce buildup would be a good idea as well. I haven't had extensions in for awhile but I'm sure others will help you out some.

I agree, I only keep my braids for 3 months max.

Thank you ladies. How long a break should I take? I planned on taking like 3 days break then re-braiding it again.

Take a good two weeks at least to give you scalp a chance to rest! Even with the most careful take down you will have tenderness in your scalp if you braid your hair 3 days later.

Also consider adding some kind of strengthener to your daily spritz like infusium 23 or some keratin type mist

It's important to give your scalp some time to rest in between braiding your hair, I always do two strand twists in the meantime.

I am wearing kinky twists (self-installed) to grow out my twa. I am currently on my 4th install. Here is my regimen:

Daily: I spray my hair and scalp 1-2x daily with a mix of certified organic aloe vera juice, veggie glycerin, and a few drops of tea tree, rosemary, and peppermint essential oils. I massage a tad of JBCO or Hydratherma Naturals Growth Oil on my temples.

Every few days: I use witch hazel and cotton rounds to clean my scalp every few days.

Every 4 weeks: I do not shampoo my hair because I only keep my twists in for 4 weeks at a time. I then take them down using my aloe vera/glycerin spritz & shea butter, clarify, do a moisturizing deep conditioner treatment, protein deep conditioner treatment, and then rebraid.

I've been doing this since July and I've experienced great growth, minimal shedding, and no breakage. Additionally, my hair is always soft and moisturized when I take them out. However, I agree that I should perhaps give my hair a break. It’s just that this regimen is so easy right now! :) Ok, ok, after finals I will. Promise!

Here is a pic of my current twists in case anyone is intersted (they are so easy to do!):

HairPic.jpg

HTH

Just curious...sealing with coconut oil doesn't make the braids too oily, especially since you use EVOO in your spray? And are these extension braids or your real hair?

Yes, you can condition them, if you choose, by using diluted conditioner, but I didn't notice a difference between when I did or didn't do this. The only important factor for me is making sure to use a daily moisturizing spray and my hair always feels nice and soft when I take the braids out.

I only leave my hair loose for a day or two before rebraiding (I alternate between cornrows w/ my natural hair and individual braids w/ extensions) and my hair hasn't suffered, although my scalp does get sore. But, different strokes for different folks.

Your regime does look good though! :yep:

Last edited:
Just curious...sealing with coconut oil doesn't make the braids too oily, especially since you use EVOO in your spray? And are these are extension braids or your real hair?

Yes, you can condition them, if you choose, by using diluted conditioner, but I didn't notice a difference between when I did or didn't do this. The only important factor for me is making sure to use a daily moisturizing spray and my hair always feels nice and soft when I take the braids out.

I only leave my hair loose for a day or two before rebraiding (I alternate between cornrows w/ my natural hair and individual braids w/ extensions) and my hair hasn't suffered, although my scalp does get sore. But, different strokes for different folks.

Your regime does look good though! :yep:

Well, it's only been a couple of days, but so far, no.
Even when I was transitioning, I would do the same and it never made my NG greasy.

Honestly, I would not use oil. Seriously, it may be good for your hair but causes serious buildup at the base of the braids and I see that you've been rubbing oil on your scalp. If you really want to use oil, use it on the length of the braid away from the roots. You'll be in for a very long detangling session and buildup if you continue using oil on your roots.

Also, all you really need is braid spray to keep your hair moist.

Thank you. I was thinking that too, that it'll get gunky. Do you guys think that the oil should come out of my spray or should I just put the coconut oil on the hair and not the scalp?

Thank you. I was thinking that too, that it'll get gunky. Do you guys think that the oil should come out of my spray or should I just put the coconut oil on the hair and not the scalp?

I am very liberal with my spray... so when I use to add my oil to the spray, my hair would be super oily, mess'n up pillows and what-not! :ohwell: So, I stopped putting oil in my spray and just using it sparingly on my temples and this has worked well. My hair and scalp are plenty moisturized without the use of oil on them (just my aloe vera juice/glycerin/eo mix). That's my experience, at least.

PS: Thank you for the compliment! :rolleyes:

Whoops...I've been getting braids done back to back for about 11 years now! :look:

I actually have never had an issue with my scalp and my edges are full (I do have a mini cow-lick on the right side compared to the thickness of the rest of my hair, but if you saw my father/my baby pictures you'd know that was genetics! :lachen:), so that has never given me a problem.

My hair has always come out thick, but I am going to try giving my hair a week to rest this time around (not in school now, so I'll have more time to do my hair). I would agree, though, that you shouldn't keep your hair in braids for longer than 3 months straight through, but it seems like you would get them redone before then anyway.

Anyway, this is what I do:

Co-wash daily :blush:
Spray with Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer (GREAT STUFF!)
Spray with Aussie Leave-in
Moisturize with any cream-based leave-in or conditioner
Seal and massage scalp with oil
Clarify 1x week
DC 2x week

After I cowash/spray/moisturize/seal I put my hair into two large braids. It keeps them from dripping all over the place and my hair stays wet all day (my braids are still moist at night!) If you cover them with a scarf it keeps them from getting too fuzzy, but if you cowash as much as I do you will get some slippage and fuzz. I don't care as much since I wear a lot of barrets and hats and I'm trying to grow my hair long as fast as possible.

I also don't get a lot of that build-up because I clarify weekly instead of 1-2x a month like some.

Also, Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea is the ISH!!! :lick::grin::yawn:
Your hair will be STRONG and moisturized without feeling hard. I've conducted "experiments" to test this (i.e. taking out a braid 2 weeks in to see how it felt/looked!). :yep:

Forgot to add that my shampoos, conditioners, leave-ins, and DCs are always changing. I'm trying to find my staples and use up old products.

Thank you ladies for this info. I am getting my hair braided in individual extentions on fri. I wanted to know how to dc and wash my hair and you guys have answered all of my questions. I will post pic if I figure out how to do so. I already have the aphogee keartin green tea reconstructure sparay. Thanks for letting me know to use it. I have a question can I use this spray on my daughters natural hair? She is 3 and have her hair braided in beads. I plan to keep them in for 2 wks and give her a week off. TIA

Back