How do you smooth your hair

choqlat

without a brush?? I keep reading posts from other ladies here that say that they do not use a brush, but how do you keep your styles (especially buns) looking neat? I cant stand a puffy bun, but I know that if I stop using a brush I would retain more of my hair. PLEASE HELP!!

I learned when I first came to LHCF to use my fingers and hands. Our hands can style and smooth hair very well.

I use my comb only when wet while detangling under the shower (after conditioning) and while rollersetting my wet hair. After that, it's just the hands until next wash day.:)

I use a 100% Boar Brush, I have to get the hair just the way I want it. That is why I use the boar brush, or course my hair is dry. When it is when I can do it with a comb and smooth with my hands.

Last edited:
choqlat said:
Isis, do you tie your hair down after smoothing with your hands?
I'm not sure what you mean. Tie my hair down with a satin scarf?

For example, if I'm wearing a bun, like my side braided bun, I smooth my hair over to the side with my hands, braid my hair and tuck the braid under with Good Hair Days pins. My hair always looks very smooth. I may or may not wear the scarf at that point, although I like wearing a scarf in the house to keep my hair moisturized.

Also, Choqlat, my hair starts out smooth after airdrying in a rollerset. Very smooth and shiny, so it's easy.:)

I haven't used a brush in over 25 years...

This is what I do...tilt a comb on it's side and slide the teeth of the comb along the hair (not in it) in the direction you want it to go. Works just fine.

OR use your hands and fingers and tie your hair down for a few minutes. Works just fine.

I smooth my hair back with my hands/fingers into a ponytail (using NTM then jojoba oil to seal) and secure it. I then secure a doo-rag on my head with my ponytail sticking out through the opening in back. Once that is in place I remove the ponytail holder (ouchless elastic band) for overnight comfort. In the morning I just recreate the ponytail or bun and my hair is very smooth! HTH

The way I get my bun to look neat is when I wash/condition my hair, I keep the hair straight back and detangle in the shower. After I shower, I wrap a towel over my hair to soak up the excess water for about 10 mins and then apply my leave in, moistuizer and seal my ends. After that, I smooth my hair in a bun or baggy with my hands and I gently run my baby brush along the my hairline and then I put my scarf on my head tight but not too tight. When I wake up in the morning it is smooth and it looks like the pic below. I know the picture is pretty big, I couldn't resize it.

100_0487.jpg

Sorry, I don't have a picture of the front of head to show what my hair line looks like:ohwell:

I learned how to use my hands from this site. Trust me, I thought exactly the same thing when I saw that people don't comb their hair, but it gets better with practice. I only actually comb thru my hair when it's wet on wash day. I separate my hair with my fingers and apply my moisturizers/oil everyday and smooth it back into a bun. If it's sticking out, I then gently RAKE (not comb thru) it over with a comb. I'm really only raking the top layer but it doesn't matter because I then tie it down with a satin scarf (a la Sylver2's scarf method) and it is slick as a pimp when I'm done :) .

choqlat said:
without a brush?? I keep reading posts from other ladies here that say that they do not use a brush, but how do you keep your styles (especially buns) looking neat? I cant stand a puffy bun, but I know that if I stop using a brush I would retain more of my hair. PLEASE HELP!!

I finger comb in the shower during my conditioner rinse out. When I get out I put my leave in conditioner on my hair and immediately tie my hair down with wrap strips. Once it dries, its usually wavy so I put carrot oil on my edges and then Fantasia IC Thick Gel (no alcohol) and smooth with with my fingers. If I have a ton of new growth I gently brush with a soft tooth brush. Then I tie a wrap strip around my edges and then tie my satin scarf over that and sleep on it. In the morning my hair is shiny and very smooth.

nelli711 said:
The way I get my bun to look neat is when I wash/condition my hair, I keep the hair straight back and detangle in the shower. After I shower, I wrap a towel over my hair to soak up the excess water for about 10 mins and then apply my leave in, moistuizer and seal my ends. After that, I smooth my hair in a bun or baggy with my hands and I gently run my baby brush along the my hairline and then I put my scarf on my head tight but not too tight. When I wake up in the morning it is smooth and it looks like the pic below. I know the picture is pretty big, I couldn't resize it.
Your hair looks so beautiful and thick Nelli711! :):up:

nycutiepie said:
I learned how to use my hands from this site. Trust me, I thought exactly the same thing when I saw that people don't comb their hair, but it gets better with practice. I only actually comb thru my hair when it's wet on wash day. I separate my hair with my fingers and apply my moisturizers/oil everyday and smooth it back into a bun. If it's sticking out, I then gently RAKE (not comb thru) it over with a comb. I'm really only raking the top layer but it doesn't matter because I then tie it down with a satin scarf (a la Sylver2's scarf method) and it is slick as a pimp when I'm done :) .

I too do Sylver2's scarf method to smooth my hair down, after applying a good leave-in moisturizer. :lol: @ slick as a pimp!

Thank you ladies for all the replys. I'll try your suggestions out and see if I can stay cute with no brush!!:D

I use any/all of the following on any given day: my hands, a wet man's boar's hair brush, a baby hair brush, or rake with the side of the comb. Then I apply something to my edges like castor oil, aloe vera gel, or some other leave in, and I always tie down with a satin scarf.

Back