How Do You Protect Your Eyes When Self-Relaxing?

vtoodler

What do you do to protect your eyes when self-relaxing? Do you wear goggles or other protective eye gear?

Also, do you apply relaxer with your hands or with a brush? Which do you think is safer--using a brush or using your hands?

Good Question, I have been wondering the same thing. I plan on self-texlaxing in Jan of next year and I was curious how people not get the relaxer in their eyes when rinsing the relaxer out in the sink.

I know growing up when my mom used to do my relaxer, she would rinse it out at the sink. I remember just closing my eyes real tight and I never had any problems.

I squeeze my eyes shut with every once of strength I have.

I used to apply with my fingers, then a color applicator brush, but I recently bought a sprush and tried that and found that it's the best method (for me) so far. I get a lot more control with the sprush than my fingers or color applicator brush. It made it easier to apply the relaxer to only my new growth.

Keep my eyes squinty, and don't splash the texturizer around. I put enough on my fingertips to cover the area, but not so much that it's dripping or leaking. Practice mainly keeps it from getting in your eye.

I rinse the relaxer in the shower (wearing a shirt) and I am pretty careful about tilting my head back. To apply the relaxer, I use a sprush and I find it works very well. Once applied, I smooth with my glove covered fingers.

What a scary thread!

I don't wear anything over my eyes. Since I pre-part, I'm in total control and at ease with the relaxer application. I use my fingers and only scoop enough cream so it's not dripping.

I also wear a beauty-shop style plastic cape while relaxing and when I'm rinsing out the relaxer in the shower.

Never had any problems.

Sent from my Comet using LHCF

What about when you're applying the relaxer?

Do you ever worry that it could get into your eyes? See this thread.

Lord...I would have gone straight to the ER, and called a Lawer on the way there. The lawsuit would have been Epic.

And no, I don't worry about all that. I chalk that up to "things that Could happen, but more than likely Will Not."

I was always wondering the same thing. I'm scared of getting relaxer in my eyes which is why I always went to the stylist for my touch ups. This is another reason why I decided not to self relax. I guess the risk is still there even in a salon

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

When applying I don't use large amounts or relaxer at a time to avoid it dropping in my eyes or anywhere else.

I rinse it out in the shower with my back facing the water so it does not run into my eyes.

When applying I don't use large amounts or relaxer at a time to avoid it dropping in my eyes or anywhere else.

I rinse it out in the shower with my back facing the water so it does not run into my eyes.

Same here. Like another poster said though I also don't wear gloves or base my scalp. :look: I've been self relaxing for over 10 years so I do trust myself lol.

that story was crazy..

i could not imagine that client's experience.

that is one reason i do things myself.

when i rinse out my relaxer i keep everything around me that i need.
neutralizing shampoo and protein conditioner on the right, towel on the left.

I've almost gotten relaxer in my eye before when I accidently got relaxer on the length of my hair and then the hair went swinging down towards my face:nono:

I use a sprush and I rinse in the shower but I wear a plastic disposable cape while in the shower:look: No relaxer in my eyes or the rest of my body.

Back