How Do You Prevent Poufy Hair When Wrapping?

Isis

I'm still learning how to wrap my hair after airdrying in rollers. Is it best to use bobby pins or will Good Hair Day pins or even metal pins (for rollers)work? My challenge is getting my hair wrapped tight enough. It usually gets poufy somewhere in the process. I don't want to damage my hair with any hair pins either. Also, when you tie up the wrapped hair with a satin scarf how do you tie it so the hair stays pressed against the head and doesn't get squeezed into a pouf?

I had the same problem, because i haven't quite gotten this at home wrapping and air drying thing down to a science. BUT I thought it was the products that I was using, then I think I realized it was the way and care that I was rolling my hair with. I was so SLOW with my rolling that I wasn't been ever so carefull. The last time I wrapped it turned out really good, but then again I was a lot more carefull because I had somewhere to be the next day. Just a hint from someone who had the same problem.

i dont use any pins when i wrap my hair but when i do it i use a fine tooth comb so it can stay wrapped tight. dont know if that makes sense lol. and i cover my head with a du rag(sp) then wrap a scarf around it so it doesnt fall off during the night. this keeps my wrap in place and secure.

Thank you Bree and StarQuality. So Bree, you use no pins at all? How does it stay in place so you can cover your head with your scarves?

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Thank you Bree and StarQuality. So Bree, you use no pins at all? How does it stay in place so you can cover your head with your scarves?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was relaxed Isis I used to put on two scarves. First I put on my silk scarf and then a cotton one tied loosely over the silk one. When I woke up I took a hot steamy shower with the scarves(tightened the cotton one) and when I got out my hair was perfect. I never used the pins though because my hair was in a short shoulder length bob.

i wrap my hair every night and i never use pins. I just wrap it around with a fine tooth comb and throw a scarf on. If when you wrap the hair and u find it difficult to keep the hair in place then i recommend u use pins.

i wrap my hair every night and dont use pins, probably because my hairdresser taught me how to do it and because i have a shoulder length bob like ayeshia. i just make an off-center part and comb my hair from the right side onto the left so it makes that "beehive" shape, spray some oil sheen, use a paddle brush to smooth, then i have a small stain wrap scarf that i tie over it. (it has 2 strings on it so i tie them tightly in the back)

i guess it's b/c i'm so use to doing it that i dont have to use pins. and using the small tooth comb to keep going over it again and again keeps it in place. i can even go without the scarf and it'll stay in tact.like candibaby said it's like a beehive. hold on, let me take a pic.

Ok, in addition to what everyone has said about the direction to comb your hair and all, here is one thing that works for me....I take my scarf, grab the front edge (forehead) and the back edge (nape)and twist it around one or two times AS I pull it down. Make sure you are grab the scarf and not your hair. I know this sounds goofy
spinning.gif

but it is the thing that helps flatten and shape my hair the most.

And make sure the scarf is satin or silk, not cotton......Good luck!
wave.gif

[ QUOTE ]
bree said:
i guess it's b/c i'm so use to doing it that i dont have to use pins. and using the small tooth comb to keep going over it again and again keeps it in place. i can even go without the scarf and it'll stay in tact.like candibaby said it's like a beehive. hold on, let me take a pic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for the great picture Bree! I thought everyone who wrapped used pins. Now I can see what you mean.
smile.gif
I'll have to experiment with this beehive method.

And thank you ladies for your input also. I really learned some new techniques from all of you!

Back