How do you prevent breakage.

Shariracquel

Hi, I want to know basically how do you ladies go about preventing breakage. And also, does it have something to do with how often you trim your hair.

Answer questions in this order please : )

1 - What is your hair type?

2 - How often do you wash your hair?

3 - How often do you trim your hair?

4- What method has worked best for you as far as preventing breakage goes, and what type of results have you gotten?

5 - Do you take any vitamins such as MSM or Biotin, if so how have they helped you in combating breakage?

Thanks Ladies, I know its a lot but I need to know these answers because I feel like Im doing something wrong, when it comes to my hair. I think Im having breakage, its not a lot but you know that a little breakage becomes a lot of breakage in just a short while. I don't want to have hair on my head one month and then the next month be wondering what the hell happened to it, you know what I mean.

4b

Twice per week.

No set schedule. I need a trim due to frizzy, no-lye ends, not breakage or splits. My ends are otherwise healthy. My last trim was almost a year ago (last June).

4- What method has worked best for you as far as preventing breakage goes, and what type of results have you gotten?

One word: Moisture. Moisturized hair does not break, at least for me it doesn't. Also, protein every two weeks or so, and the baggie method.

5 - Do you take any vitamins such as MSM or Biotin, if so how have they helped you in combating breakage?

I take hair vitamins when I feel like it but I don't think it's helped with breakage.

1 - What is your hair type? 3c/4a

2 - How often do you wash your hair?Twice a week now that i've been on LHCF. I'm going to do more CO washes when i'm 11 weeks post

3 - How often do you trim your hair?haha, I used to trim every 6 weeks, but from my April 24 trim, i'm hoping to go at at least 4 months w/o one

4- What method has worked best for you as far as preventing breakage goes, and what type of results have you gotten?Well, i've noticed that since last week, I haven't had breakage. Just a little from when I was detangling my hair after washing it. What i've been doing for a few weeks now is a weekly or bi-weekly use of Aphogee 2 minute Keratin Reconstructor. Left it on the hair for about 3-5 minutes w/o heat in the shower. I think it's helped. I have hardly seen any breakage in almost two weeks now! YAY! i'm finally getting healthy hair

5 - Do you take any vitamins such as MSM or Biotin, if so how have they helped you in combating breakage? I took Biotin for a while, then when I ran out, I did'nt buy another bottle. I didn't like taking MSM because it gave me headaches for a while. After that, I just didn't like swallowing those huge pills. I just take my multi-vitamin and my B-Complex. Biotion or MSM didn't help with hair growth. I'm getting the same 1/2" growth rate so why botter swallowing them things? They have nothing to do with breakage either. Your hair needs moisture, that's what.

3c/4a

Lately I've been doing CO Washes once a week, so far so good.

I trim as needed, mainly for evenness and thats usually once or twice a year.

Moisturizing often helps with the growth & the overall health of my hair.

I've used Bitoin awhile back it hardly did anything for my hair as far as growth, I really dont think MSM or Biotin will help with breakage.

Hi, I want to know basically how do you ladies go about preventing breakage. And also, does it have something to do with how often you trim your hair.

1 - What is your hair type? 3b/c

2 - How often do you wash your hair? almost everyday

3 - How often do you trim your hair? so far this year it has only been one time and that was the second week of January

4- What method has worked best for you as far as preventing breakage goes, and what type of results have you gotten? not manipulating my hair, which is pretty easy becasue Im a natural, and I don't know what natural actually ENJOYS detangling constantly. Also combing my hair when its soaking wet with conditioner. You well never catch me on a good day attempting to comb my hair in its dry state no matter how wide tooth the comb is. I think that I've gotten pretty good results thus far :) And most importanlty TONS AND TONS of moisture. My hair growth doesnt show when its curly, but when I blow it out it tells a different story.

5 - Do you take any vitamins such as MSM or Biotin, if so how have they helped you in combating breakage? nope, i can never remember or be consistent, so I've decided to stop wasting my money and just let my hair do its own thing. Maybe one of these days though

Thanks Ladies, I know its a lot but I need to know these answers because I feel like Im doing something wrong, when it comes to my hair. I think Im having breakage, its not a lot but you know that a little breakage becomes a lot of breakage in just a short while. I don't want to have hair on my head one month and then the next month be wondering what the hell happened to it, you know what I mean.

Last edited:
4b

Once a week - My Goal is twice

I dust about every 16 weeks

I go crazy about moisturising. I put Dudley's PCA Moisture retainer on my ends in the morning and before I go to sleep. I use Mizani's Moisturefuse heat treatment weekly. I always twist hair up before sleeping and never rest my head on cotton (it absorbs the oil in your hair and aids to dryness) Satin Pillowcase all the way.

I avoid blowdrying and dry heat. Caruso Steam rollers are da bomb!

5 - Do you take any vitamins such as MSM or Biotin, if so how have they helped you in combating breakage? None

2 - How often do you wash your hair? once a week

3 - How often do you trim your hair? Just got a 2" haircut. Trim every 3 months

4- What method has worked best for you as far as preventing breakage goes, and what type of results have you gotten? Washing it and using moisturizing conditioners has helped stop breakage. Getting that haircut really helped. Also, after I wash once a week, I rollerset for a hard curl and wrap it all week to get a doobie. Sleeping w/satin scarf and moisturizing my new growth emmensly (esp. since I'm transitioning) and also my hair and ends with a light moisturizer (right now it's Elasta QP Recovery or WGO) has helped stop breakage. I don't see as many little broken off pieces anymore I see long strands w/the white bulb, but only a few.

5 - Do you take any vitamins such as MSM or Biotin, if so how have they helped you in combating breakage? I actually don't take anything but I'll be starting a multi-vitamin (GNC Women's Mega) and Biotin in June.

Thanks Ladies, I know its a lot but I need to know these answers because I feel like Im doing something wrong, when it comes to my hair. I think Im having breakage, its not a lot but you know that a little breakage becomes a lot of breakage in just a short while. I don't want to have hair on my head one month and then the next month be wondering what the hell happened to it, you know what I mean. You'll reach your hair goals in no time with some hair TLC. I am currently trying to reduce heat on my hair to once every 2 weeks. It's a challenge, but I know I can achieve it.

1 - What is your hair type? 4a

2 - How often do you wash your hair? Everyday condition washes, once a week with mild shampoo

3 - How often do you trim your hair? About every five months

4- What method has worked best for you as far as preventing breakage goes, and what type of results have you gotten? Baggie. condition washes everyday, deep conditioning.relaxing every 5 months for 10-12 minutes.

5 - Do you take any vitamins such as MSM or Biotin, if so how have they helped you in combating breakage? I have not taken vitamin for the past two months i am giving myself a break,but i do take biotin and msm I have not noticed a surge in my growth with vitamins like i do with mtg

1. 4a
2. Just about every day
3. whenever I feel like it. I don't think that trims are necessary for maintaining growth. In fact, I think that they may slow down the process.
4. Little manipulation. I dont like to comb my hair. Instead, I finger comb. I think that the perfect balance of protein and moisturizing treatments are also important. Daily conditioner only washes are good too.

Curly, frizzy and dry.

1,2,3 times a week depending on what I feel like.

I dust the ends every 8 weeks.

Moisturize mornings and evenings, regular trims, but first and foremost: I stopped using harsh hair colors.

No I don't take any vitamins.

1 - What is your hair type? 4a/b

2 - How often do you wash your hair? Once a week

3 - How often do you trim your hair? Every 8 weeks

4- What method has worked best for you as far as preventing breakage goes, and what type of results have you gotten? Wearing the satin cap and applying moisture on a daily basis. Also washing hair once a week has helped.

5 - Do you take any vitamins such as MSM or Biotin, if so how have they helped you in combating breakage? Right now I am taking the HF37 and a multi-vitamin. I have noticed the condition/texture of my hair is becoming more thicker and shinier.

After my trail run ends with the HF37, I wont be purchasing anymore and will stick with the mulit vitamin. I cant say whether or not the vitamins are aiding in the new growth. My hair tends to grow faster in the warmer months.

2 - How often do you wash your hair? every 3 days

3 - How often do you trim your hair? Every 6 months

4- What method has worked best for you as far as preventing breakage goes, and what type of results have you gotten? I wear buns 95% (the other 5% I might wear my hair down to church). At night I do the "Plastic Baggie" method or braid my hair into 4 plaits and slip on my satin bonnet. I ALWAYS moisturize my ends in the morning and at night. The results are that my ends are well moisturized and I don't have to trim my ends as often.

5 - Do you take any vitamins such as MSM or Biotin, if so how have they helped you in combating breakage? I was on Biotin (5000 mcgs 1 time per day) but it left me very light headed and a face full of acne!! :shocked: I'm currently taking Flaxseed Oil pills, MSM, and Centrum. None of these pills don't do anything for my breakage but the regrowth is stronger. I take these pills for just overall helath. :)

Last edited:

2 - How often do you wash your hair? Once - twice a week

I have not had my hair trimmed since Dec. 2004

Using a Shower Comb all the time. Not just when I wash my hair. Putting BioSilk Silk Therapy on my wet hair along with Redken's Extreme Anti-Snap.
I do an Aphogee Protein Treatment every 2 weeks.
Right now I am taking a multi-vitamin, calcium with Vitamin D, Biotin, Folic Acid, Zinc, Vitamin E, and Iron. I noticed more hair growth when I took just Biotin and a Hair Vitamin I bought from Wal-Mart. Maybe- less is better.

Last edited:
4a.

Once a week.

Whenever I feel it is necessary.

4 - What method has worked best for you as far as preventing breakage goes, and what type of results have you gotten?
I find that moisture is the key to preventing breakage. When my hair is moist it is pliable thus, when it is manipulated it will not snap. Also, I try to avoid contact with fabrics that are not silk or satin. When my hair comes in contact with other fabrics they snag my hair causing breakage. I do perform the occasional protein treatment to keep my strands strong. All these steps help me to retain length and maintain the health of my hair.

I have used supplements formulated for hair. I think they contribute more to growth than anything else.

4b

Every 3 days

No trimming at all

Keeping my hair and ends moisturized, no heat, stretching out my relaxers, using a protein (like Keraphix) reconstructor when necessary, no combing between washes continues to work very well for me. The result is hair that just grows and looks and feels healthy.

No MSM and no Biotin, although I bought these last year. For some reason, I don't have the desire to take them.

4b

1 A WEEK

No trimming at all

Moisture, moisture, moisture

Biotin, Flax seed oil capsules, multivitamins. I believe this helps in keeping my hair very strong. Moisture is what keeps the hair from breaking.

2 - How often do you wash your hair? once or twice a week

3 - How often do you trim your hair? once a year

4- What method has worked best for you as far as preventing breakage goes, and what type of results have you gotten? Limiting heat, rollerseting, and deep conditioning. Limiting heat keeps my ends in tact so they arent breaking, rollersetting keeps me from manipulating my hair too much and seals my ends so they are nice and smooth, and deep conditioning keeps my hair very moisturized

5 - Do you take any vitamins such as MSM or Biotin, if so how have they helped you in combating breakage? No

3c

3-4 times a week

every three months, sometimes sooner

no shampoo when washing, only conditioner. no ponytails. little manipulation.

GNC NourishHair

Lovelylocs said:
1. 4a
2. Just about every day
3. whenever I feel like it. I don't think that trims are necessary for maintaining growth. In fact, I think that they may slow down the process.
4. Little manipulation. I dont like to comb my hair. Instead, I finger comb. I think that the perfect balance of protein and moisturizing treatments are also important. Daily conditioner only washes are good too.

I totally agree with that. My hair never got past my shoulders until I started taking care of my own hair. My hairdresser would chop off all of my retained length when I would get my relaxers; and since I only get about 4" of new growth per year (yes my hair grows very slow) I never saw any progress in growth. So I stopped going to my hairdresser and had one of my friend do my hair. A couple of years later, my hair was past my shoulders. Then I found the hair boards a few years later and now my hair is only 2" away from my waist.:yep:

LiLi said:
A couple of years later, my hair was past my shoulders. Then I found the hair boards a few years later and now my hair is only 2" away from my waist.:yep:

Wow! That's great...can you go into detail about your hair routine or regiment? If it's easier to send a pm then feel free to do so..

I have finally gotten breakage under control--it is not a concern for me, it is rare.

1 - What is your hair type? 4a fine and fragile

2 - How often do you wash your hair? no more than 2x a week (3 days apart)

3 - How often do you trim your hair? whenever

moisture poo (aphogee evening primrose deep moisture poo)
protein reconstructor every 2 weeks (cpr by motions, in the bottle not jar)
deep conditioning every wash (motions silk protein conditioner in the jar)
lanza leave in protector + elucene moisture balancing conditioner as leave in and daily moisture
oil for shine and lubrication to prevent breakage from combing

5 - Do you take any vitamins such as MSM or Biotin, if so how have they helped you in combating breakage? I take 1000mgs of MSM nad 10mg of biton, a b-complex 100, multi, silica and lecithin

i think the outer products prevent brakage, the vitamins are for hair yet to spring from my head.

2 - How often do you wash your hair? weekly, may be changing to bi-weekly, while dampening bottom half of hair weekly or more

3 - How often do you trim your hair? 4x a year, after a relaxer

4- What method has worked best for you as far as preventing breakage goes, and what type of results have you gotten? Aphoghee every 6 wks, 2x a day moisturizing, weekly MNT deep conditioning (light protein). Since I stretch my washes a little bit, I have a homemade moisturizer that 1/2 water with other stuff (EVOO, Coconut oil, Cocoa Butter, s-curl, etc.). I finger comb my hair when dry, don't comb my hair when wet.
5 - Do you take any vitamins such as MSM or Biotin, if so how have they helped you in combating breakage? Carbsmart w/ Biotin, EPO, B-Complex- so my new growth is strong

Last edited:
Lanelle said:
Wow! That's great...can you go into detail about your hair routine or regiment? If it's easier to send a pm then feel free to do so..

Sure ... I'll PM you.

4a, fine, but dense strands

2x, closer to touch up time I add in more conditioner washes

every 12 weeks after touch-ups

deep conditioning after every wash, regular protein treatments 1x a week, no direct heat, very little manipulation during the week. I've been maintaining my hair at about 2 inches below bra-strap, but not quite elbow length.

I take a multi-vitamin, b-complex, protein smoothie, and EFA.

3c/4a
once a week normally but I wash 3x when I'm in box braids (2cw and 1 with shampoo)
I plan to trim 4x a year but I dust whenever my ends look gross

Conditioning regularly and avoiding heat got rid of my problem of little broken bits. I put shea butter and a softening lotion with glycerin in my hair often.

Nope. I'm very inconsistent with vitamins but I eat a lot of protein and eggs. I don't think they do much for my breakage because my breakage was caused by heat damage and severe dryness.

Shariracquel said:

1-3c predominantly. Maybe a little 4a in some areas.

2-Twice a week. On Mondays and Thursdays.

3-I trim twice a year.

4-Detangling with conditioner in the shower with a wet comb. Keeping an oil on my new growth and on my hair while its wet and dry keeps it soft and pliable. Moisturizing my ends morning and night. Wearing protective styles, and not combing my hair in between washes. Using Nexxus Keraphix once every week. Using CON Shampoo (green label) has really helped with dryness, since most other shampoos have SLS and ALS.

5-I have been taking biotin for upwards of 4 years now. Just started taking MSM this January. IMO, neither one has specifically helped with breakage. The number one thing that has helped with breakage is keeping an oil in my hair (lubrication=less friction=less breakage from friction from combing, brushing, scarves, etc), besides using a light protein conditioner each week.

Back