How do you prepare for Relaxer day?

Giselle685

I made it to an 11 week stretch and I have very short hair so this was good for me. I plan on relaxing today. Very short hair- defined as midear length :yep:. NOT that BSL I've been seeing people call very short. :ohwell:
4B maybe? It's coily.

Can you all give your tips on how to prepare for relaxer day to protect your already relaxed hair from being relaxed over again. I am going to get this professionally done, however I would like to still give the lady some guidelines if needed.

I would like yummy hair like some of the ladies I've seen in here after they've gotten their hair straightened!! :lick:

Congrats on making it to 11 weeks! I can relate, I'm ending my first stretch myself and plan on perming tonight. I know everyone will laugh when I say it's an 8 week stretch but when you're used to relaxing every 4 weeks then 8 weeks is a stretch :grin: I could actually go a few more weeks but I want to look sleek this weekend.

But I'm glad you asked this and I'll be waiting to see the responses. I've seen people say they put coconut oil on the already relaxed hair to protect it. Some people do protein treatments days before or somewhere in the relaxer process but I'm not sure.

I do a protein treatment the week before. During the week of my relaxer I don't cowash and I try not to comb or brush my hair too much. No oiling my scalp with anything and I try not to scratch. For whatever reason, my scalp itches more during that final week than at any other time during the relaxer cycle.

Good topic! I just did an Aphogee protein DC on Monday night, planning to relax this weekend. I left Aphogee 2-min Reconstructor on for 30 minutes with a shower cap and heat, then rinsed and applied a moisturizing DC for another 30 minutes with heat. My hair feels a lot stronger. I think I may add a protein step to my relaxer process as well (Aphogee 2 min applied for a few minutes after rinsing realxer out and before neutralizing)

5-7 days before my relaxer I do the following:

Clarify
Aphogee 2 step
Rinse w/Conditioner
Deep Conditon w/ moisturizing conditioner with heat for 20 minutes
Add moisturizing leave ins and rollerset
Add grease to my scalp (this is the only time I use grease)

I wear my hair in 2 braids until relaxer day and I don’t manipulate my hair or scalp.

Right before relaxing I add Nexxus Keraphix to my relaxed hair and cover that with vaseline.

I never add anything to my relaxer cream.

1 week before: Protein treatment (I use Aphogee 2-step)

Relaxer Day: Base Scalp and Coat Length with Porosity Control & Seal with a thick serum

I grease my scalp. I did put CHI SI on the length of the hair I didn't want relaxed. The last time I did that, my hair did well.

Back