How Do You Measure Your "Single" Years?

loolalooh

When someone asks you how long you've been single, do you factor in ...

any short-term, but passionate, relationships (e.g., 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, other)?
any periods of casual dating (e.g., no more than 1-3 dates with one person)?
any flings?
any periods with a friend with benefits?
etc.?

loolalooh said:
When someone asks you how long you've been single, do you factor in ...

any short-term, but passionate, relationships (e.g., 1 month, 2 months, 3 months, other)?
any periods of casual dating (e.g., no more than 1-3 dates with one person)?
any flings?
any periods with a friend with benefits?
etc.?

Depends when you are asking me...

generally I don't count a relationship if it didn't last 6 months

While i am in a relationship though, even 1-2 months in I will say i am seeing someone. If it ends i will go back to my original single count. ( ie. " i have been single x years" )

I feel too old to be counting short stints as relationships.

ETA: I wonder if that makes me sound more single or alone than i really am...

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:
Depends on who is asking.

In general, I count from relationship to relationship.

People I am close with I know how long I've been single for real- no one on the bench or on the court.

Last time I was in a committed relationship. Which will be 6 years ago this year. :rolleyes:

When i tell someone I've been single for nearly 2 years they look at me like I'm an alien.

To answer the question I don't count those I've been on one-off dates with. Nor, those I've dated for just a few months. Like another posters said only if it's around 6 months or more.

When i tell someone I've been single for nearly 2 years they look at me like I'm an alien.

To answer the question I don't count those I've been on one-off dates with. Nor, those I've dated for just a few months. Like another posters said only if it's around 6 months or more.

I actually don't get asked very often, thank goodness. It usually only comes up when I meet a new guy and that hasn't really happened in almost 2 years now.

I never factored in dates, flings or what have you. Never done the friends with benefits thing. For me, single is single. Until I met my current boyfriend, I was single for some years but I certainly was never short of dating even though I hate dating with a serious raging passion!!!!!

I only count official, committed relationships. So flings, short term love affairs, etc. are still included in my "single years".

Just revisited this and I'm glad to see everyone else uses a similar marker as me meaning <6 months doesn't count.

I know some people who consider everyone and everything having a boyfriend.

Now i don't feel like I'm misrepresenting when I say I've been single for years.

Sent from my iPhone

Wow I don't think I've been in a relationship that lasted less than 6 months. For awhile that's really what I wanted, I thought they would be hyper intense whirlwind relationships that are extra passionate until the ultimately burn themselves out.

But I'm way too commitment phobic for that. It takes a lot for me to give up my single status. I think it's cuz I know once I give it up, I won't be back on the scene for another 2-3 yrs :lol:

Back