hOW DO YOU MAKE YOUR TWISTOUTS,BRAIDOUTS, RODSETS ETC. LAST?

africanqueen456

I have been natural for about 3 months and dont understand how people are making the sets last(westnbeauty's braid n curl for example:grin:) for days without rebraiding/twistout/curling . I believe she just ties it down and then puts a bonnet over it. Then I read some are using the sue maestras for their wash n gos? Also how do you remoisturize? Do you you just use oils or mists? This new natural needs help! Re touching every night is too much manipulation for my strands.

Last time I did a twist out I basically did what Chime does - the top and front are the parts that usually get the frizziest because they are in my face/wind, and I'm touching them more, so I retwist a few of those (not my entire head) if they look funky, and sleep with my Sue Maesta hood on. To fluff my hair I only used oil or oil spray, I made sure my hair was moisturized before I twisted and the twists + twist out lasted 8 days without me needing to remoisturize with a water based product, with the exception of the twists I retwisted. I think I could have gone longer but I wanted to wash my hair.

Either I let it do what it do and don't retwist every night, let it morph into whatever it wants to (I don't do this anymore)
Retwist/rebraid every night
Put kid scrunchies on the the ends of my twist out to keep it stretched see here

I don't retwist my twistouts each night. I pin them in four sections. Before I pin them, I put oil and Crece Pelo leave-in in the palm of my hand, mix it together, and put it in my hair. I do make sure that the mixture is primarily oil, though.

I don't really have trouble maintaining definition because my twists stay in for at least five days before I unravel them for a twistout.

Mine won't last unless I rebraid/twist at night. Well honestly they would last but after wearing it out during the day would leave me with tangles which would continue to worsen the longer I wore the un-rebraided style. I'm hip length with twist that shrink to just above APL - (unmanipulated) braidouts lie a little below APL so rebraiding also helps stretch the hair way out (siggie pic).

I also use conditioners with silicone in the (like Pantene) to help keep the out styles under a some control.

Right now I'm wearing a set of thick-ish twists partially twisted out at the bottom half. It's just luverly and I just lightly dampen my fingers and retwist at night.

Mine won't last unless I rebraid/twist at night. Well honestly they would last but after wearing it out during the day would leave me with tangles which would continue to worsen the longer I wore the un-rebraided style. I'm hip length with twist that shrink to just above APL - (unmanipulated) braidouts lie a little below APL so rebraiding also helps stretch the hair way out (siggie pic).

I also use conditioners with silicone in the (like Pantene) to help keep the out styles under a some control.

Right now I'm wearing a set of thick-ish twists partially twisted out at the bottom half. It's just luverly and I just lightly dampen my fingers and retwist at night.
Same here. I always moisturize, oil and re-braid/twist at night. I have a low mani regimen and I don't consider this too much manipulation because I don't comb my hair, just separate the sections with my fingers and braid.

I use one of those silk scarves made like a bag. I just stuff my braids or twists down in the pocket part....so perfect.
stay-on-satin-pocket-bonnet-style-3999.jpg

This also works great for wash n' go's if you're looking for something cheaper than the Sue Maesta or Locsoc.....it works the same for me.

while doing the initial set, i always use some product with hold-i like a foam wrap. this is key.
at night, i make two pony puffs high on my head with satin scrunchies. i either sleep with a bonnet or with nothing.
in the morning, to get my hair going downwards once again, i put it in a low pony puff while i brush my teeth/eat/etc.

I have been natural for about 3 months and dont understand how people are making the sets last(westnbeauty's braid n curl for example:grin:) for days without rebraiding/twistout/curling . I believe she just ties it down and then puts a bonnet over it. Then I read some are using the sue maestras for their wash n gos? Also how do you remoisturize? Do you you just use oils or mists? This new natural needs help! Re touching every night is too much manipulation for my strands.

I literally just came in here to post this exact question! I am so damn slow on this learning curve! More answers please :yep:

i can do the initial braid out using about 16 braids. There after I can put the hair into 6 or 7 big braids, which stretches the length of the hair and makes the look fluffier.

i can do every other night but b/c it doesn't take long to put in 6/7 braids I devote the 10 minutes to set the hair.

also using a very moisturizing cream like bee mine's curly butter or the kimmaytube leave in sets the hair without making it hair.

when i was natural my twistouts lasted for 2 weeks and still looked great. now that i'm relaxed i do braidouts and they last for about a week, but lemme to you, they are hanging on by a thread.:nono:

i never re-braid or re-twist. i just pin it back lightly.

Back