How do you make your hair less Porous

KhandiB

???

I want to dye my hair ...

Some parts of my hiar are more porous than others...
so the black took on some parts ....

I wanna go brown...

Soooooo.. Im sure getting my porosity under control will help in other ways as well...

But I need to know how to get it under control..

:D

TIA!

You said it... Porosity Control. The bottle actually says to use it before any chemical service. :yep: ACV also helps close up cuticles.

Hmm.. Ok.. Makes Sense :lol:

I wonder should I even try to go lighter...

what will happen if you try to lighten black hair :scratchch :lol:

KhandiB said:

Do you mean make it MORE Porous????? From what I hear hair that lacks pourosity doesn't take as well.

KhandiB said:

Ive been able to lighten my hair in the past....... but since it starts out so dark i usually dont achieve the color on the box. :confused: Lightening my hair tends to make it feel dryer and like straw, perhaps because of the bleach (in the dye) that is needed to strip the hair of its natural black color. But I suppose as long as you increase your deep conditioners and so forth, you should be fine. :)

Now mind you Khandi, I personally wouldnt attempt to lighten it now while trying to reach my goal of BSL.... I wouldnt want to do anything that might cause breakage and/or derail my goals. :spank: Dont you go around sabotaging your goals, now that you've gotten this far, missy. I dont want to hear any horror stories after you color it.... so if you do decide to go for the color, you make sure to take EXTRA good care of it, here??? :look:

From what I understand there is good porous and bad porous and My hair doesn’t hold color so it is bad porous in spots..

Crlsweetie can explain it better.. I permanently dyed my hair like 6 weeks ago and I see brown again.. This isn’t the first time for me either, light colors stay though, darks don’t :)

:lol:

Okay :lachen:

Im prob only going brown.. nothing lighter, and thats a maybe since the husband loves black hair..

KiniKakes said:
Ive been able to lighten my hair in the past....... but since it starts out so dark i usually dont achieve the color on the box. :confused: Lightening my hair tends to make it feel dryer and like straw, perhaps because of the bleach (in the dye) that is needed to strip the hair of its natural black color. But I suppose as long as you increase your deep conditioners and so forth, you should be fine. :)

Now mind you Khandi, I personally wouldnt attempt to lighten it now while trying to reach my goal of BSL.... I wouldnt want to do anything that might cause breakage and/or derail my goals. :spank: Dont you go around sabotaging your goals, now that you've gotten this far, missy. I dont want to hear any horror stories after you color it.... so if you do decide to go for the color, you make sure to take EXTRA good care of it, here??? :look:

KEWL, sounds good. Dark brown shouldnt be that damaging at all. Im just looking out, girl, making sure nothing stands in the way of our December 31st goal.:cheers:

KhandiB said:

Okay :lachen:

Im prob only going brown.. nothing lighter, and thats a maybe since the husband loves black hair..

KhandiB said:
???

I want to dye my hair ...

Some parts of my hiar are more porous than others...
so the black took on some parts ....

How can you tell? I want to know my hair's porosity, too! Thanks! :eek:

here is a tip.

after washing and conditioning, add a leave in to your damp hair, and put ur hair in a sandwich bag (baggy) but DONT BUN, just insert your pony into the bag and secure it loosely with a band.

wear overnight and take off, your hair will still be damp/wet.

after about 3 tries, your hair wont suck in so much as it'll be full of water.

i've done this for months and its seems to help

Sorta Kinda Spongy looking on a couple of parts..also after a couple of consulatations with stylists, they always say, your hair is porous :lol:

HighlyFavored1 said:
How can you tell? I want to know my hair's porosity, too! Thanks! :eek:

If you want to go lighter than your natural color, then some kind of chemicals, usually bleach, must first be used to strip the dark color so that the lighter color "takes" . . . this type of double process - bleach, then color breaks down and damages the protein bonds of the hair, making it more porous. Regular deep condish will help, but hair will be permanently "weakened" and using low pH condish and ACV rinses can help temporarily smooth hair's surface. nexxus ensure, roux porosity contol and good ole ACV are good as final rinses for porous hair.

Keep in mind that this will be "high maintenance" and the double process will have to be repeated regularly when new growth comes in (since presumably, the contrast between the color-treated hair and your natural hair will be very noticeable) and if you relax, then its like a "triple whammy" that contributes to more porous hair. If you do this, be very diligent in deep condishing and following with ACV or other low ph final rinses.

HTH

Regards,
Neroli (4b, relaxed & hennaed!)

Oh Im definitely aware of the conseqences and maintenance that comes along with light hair, I had light hair for years, and tried it again last year (please see my fotki :lol: ) I just used a light textures and Tones Box color.. It was ok... the more I look at it the more I miss it, but I wont go back there... :lol: - Black is so sexy but brown is sultry :lachen:

Im crazy :lol:

Neroli said:
If you want to go lighter than your natural color, then some kind of chemicals, usually bleach, must first be used to strip the dark color so that the lighter color "takes" . . . this type of double process - bleach, then color breaks down and damages the protein bonds of the hair, making it more porous. Regular deep condish will help, but hair will be permanently "weakened" and using low pH condish and ACV rinses can help temporarily smooth hair's surface. nexxus ensure, roux porosity contol and good ole ACV are good as final rinses for porous hair.

Keep in mind that this will be "high maintenance" and the double process will have to be repeated regularly when new growth comes in (since presumably, the contrast between the color-treated hair and your natural hair will be very noticeable) and if you relax, then its like a "triple whammy" that contributes to more porous hair. If you do this, be very diligent in deep condishing and following with ACV or other low ph final rinses.

HTH

Regards,
Neroli (4b, relaxed & hennaed!)

Back