How do YOU know when you need protein?

pazyamor

My hair is dyed blonde (as some people know), and I've been very successful with keeping it moisturized while the hair grows out. However, this past weekend, I gave myself a regular moisture dee condition, and it felt a little dry, but I thought nothing of it. This morning, I stepped in the shower, just to wet it to pull it up and my hair felt so dry and brittle, I was afraid to touch it!

Do I need protein? Better yet, when do YOU know you need protein?

You know you need protien when it's breaking while it's wet. or if it feels limp and mushy when wet too HTH

My hair is dyed Chestnut Brown, when it started to feel a little dry, I know I need protein. Now, I alternate between doing moisturizing DCs and protein DCs.

when my hair was color with blonde highlights... which i plan to put back in... I used a Dominican treatment called Emergencia... its a protein and moisture deep condish... i love it. its thick and creamy. it really helped my color. so maybe if you can find a good condish like that you will be ok...

I now know I need protein when my ends start breaking a lot at the touch and pull of it. Once I started using a mixture of ORS Hair Mayo and the dominican product,Capilo Miel y Leche, my breakage has stopped. Now I alternate my washes between moisture and protein. I do my protein treatment/wash as a prepoo and I followup with a moisturizing DC. My moisturizing DCs include a mixture of any of these: QH Cholesterol, Capilo Avocado Conditioner, Keracare Humecto and honey.

Last edited:
I can't really tell when my hair 'needs' protein. I can tell when it DOESN'T need protein though, and that's when I skip my regularly scheduled protein treatments. I think that my overall regimen really prevents my hair from actually getting to the point where it needs protein the way it needs moisture, though.

Naturals, do you all typically use protein weekly? I am really nervous about doing a protein treatment, because my hair is normally really dry, and it loves moisture. I was thinking of using motions CPR.

As far as breakage is concerned, I don't feel I have any, just a few hairs here and there, but I still hate seeing it. I have a feeling doing a protein treatment will stop it all together. On the other hand, I don't know whether the few broken hairs could be a detangling issue.

With that being said, naturals, how do you know it is a lack of protein issue, and not a detangling issue, which could be the source of the breakage?

...when i roller set and it is breaking while its wet when I'm tryin to set it...also when I set it using my standard products and the curls just fall right out of the roller and hang limply and they are completely dry (there is no spring or bounce to my curls when dry, they just hang limp)- I guess they feel "mushy"...

Naturals, do you all typically use protein weekly? I am really nervous about doing a protein treatment, because my hair is normally really dry, and it loves moisture. I was thinking of using motions CPR.

As far as breakage is concerned, I don't feel I have any, just a few hairs here and there, but I still hate seeing it. I have a feeling doing a protein treatment will stop it all together. On the other hand, I don't know whether the few broken hairs could be a detangling issue.

With that being said, naturals, how do you know it is a lack of protein issue, and not a detangling issue, which could be the source of the breakage?

I use protein monthly (alternating an homemade yogurt treatment and henna). I've been using Mega-Tek, which is a protein based conditioner daily on my scalp only lately, and my breakage has practically stopped, so maybe that's a sign that my hair DID need some extra protein.

For me, my breakage would occur when I was just lightly tocuhing my hair - no combs, not even trying to detangle. Now, I don't get that, and I can HEAR my hair 'snap' when I'm detangling roughly.

I use ORS Mayo for a mild protein, and Aphogee for a hard one. I only use Aphogee every 9-10 weeks, and usually when im getting a little more breakage than usual. OR i just do it as regular maintenance about one week after my touch-up, to strengthen my hair back.

Back