How Do You Know What Your Hair Needs?

CurlyCoilycourt

Ok I'm a bit of a Debbie Downer right now :nono: To make a long story short I was wearing wigs because i was not comfortable with my length after my BC(July 2009). Well when i finally decided to stop wearing wigs I went to the salon and received a blowout and fell in love with my hair and did what i knew was a no no...I went and got my hair straightened 2 more times in a row, 3 total, (July 2010):wallbash: Now i'm suffering from heat damage in some places (totally my fault and I accept that).

Fast forward to today and its been almost 2 months no heat but I've been just slicking my hair back wearing pony's all the time. I thought this wasn't healthy for my hair using a brush 3-4 times a week and i started to notice that my hair is shedding and breaking (not too much breakage)like crazy, especially tonight when i decided to try two strand twist and discovered I have more heat damage than i thought and my hair was dry after doing a co-wash.

I have been doing deep treatments once and week, shampoo once a week, and i co-wash maybe 3-4 times a week because i work out daily....

Question is am i manipulating my hair to much? It feels like i'm transitioning all over again because of the heat damage so how do i know what my hair needs? I feel so lost after being natural for over a year:ohwell:

I go by how my hair feels and responds to products to know what it needs.

Are you manipulating your hair too much? IMO it doesn't sound like it, if you're just moisturizing it and pulling it back after the cowashing, but maybe you could cut down the cowashing a bit? Are you detangling and brushing every time you cowash?

Does your hair still revert back to its natural texture when wet? Because if it does then your heat damage must not new that bad. Trying to figure out what your hair needs is sort of like understanding a babys different cries.

When my hair starts shedding I just add garlic extract to my vo5 and cowash. If it feels fragile I pre poo with wheat germ oil on my deep condition day. If my curls don't pop I know that its time to an acv rinse because products are weighing down my hair

I've learned to just pay attention to how my hair looks and feels a draw conclusions. Hth

Are you manipulating your hair too much? IMO it doesn't sound like it, if you're just moisturizing it and pulling it back after the cowashing, but maybe you could cut down the cowashing a bit? Are you detangling and brushing every time you cowash?

I usually style maybe 3 times out of the week and i don't really detangle but i do brush because my hair grows in layers so its hard to get that to slick back unless I use a brush and gel

I usually style maybe 3 times out of the week and i don't really detangle but i do brush because my hair grows in layers so its hard to get that to slick back unless I use a brush and gel

LuvlyRain, that line about hair care being like a baby's cries is absolutely perfect. Love it!!

Sorry to hear about your setback, OP, but at least you have learned what your hair DOESN'T like. Have you tried hardcore protein to restore some of your curl pattern?

At this point, you will have to baby your hair. I can't know for sure if your regimen is too much manipulation without knowing how hard you brush, how often you clarify, etc. I cowash more than you do, and it's not too much for me, but I have noticed that I have to clarify more. I remember when I first discovered when my hair loved cowashing (it had shine for days and finally stopped breaking) and when I learned it HATES baggying (it became mushy and started breaking). As you try different things, just see how your hair reacts.

LuvlyRain, that line about hair care being like a baby's cries is absolutely perfect. Love it!!

Sorry to hear about your setback, OP, but at least you have learned what your hair DOESN'T like. Have you tried hardcore protein to restore some of your curl pattern?

At this point, you will have to baby your hair. I can't know for sure if your regimen is too much manipulation without knowing how hard you brush, how often you clarify, etc. I cowash more than you do, and it's not too much for me, but I have noticed that I have to clarify more. I remember when I first discovered when my hair loved cowashing (it had shine for days and finally stopped breaking) and when I learned it HATES baggying (it became mushy and started breaking). As you try different things, just see how your hair reacts.

Maybe thats the problem I dont clarify I dont even own a clarifying shampoo..recommend any? I've tried nexxus emergencee maybe once since the heat damage did not seem to do too much restored it a little. I try not to brush too hard just enough that it stays in place due to my layers but i have heard of doing the whole bunning process while in the shower maybe i should try that?

I own and use ORS creamy aloe (wal-mart), Nexxus Aloe Rid, and Suave Clarifying Shampoo. Today I used Nexxus for the first time -- I got it for 3 bucks at Ross. I liked it enough.

Bunning in the shower can definitely help you get it into the bun without having to use the brush....and then you can just put a scarf over it for 15-20 minutes to help set your edges. Just make sure to keep your protein levels in check with a light protein to keep your ends from snapping when wet. I like to spray Aphogee Keratin + Green Tea on my ends a few times a week when wet bunning to keep them strong -- basically whenever I see hair caught on my ouchless elastic, I know it's time to spray em down. Just keep in mind that if you notice too much breakage, particularly where your hair tie goes, you may want to switch to bunning on damp hair out of the shower instead. I don't bun in the shower too much as I prefer to wrap my hair in a t-shirt for a few minutes to soak up a good amount of the water before adding my leave-in and making my bun, but if you find yourself having to be overly aggressive with the brush and gel, then in the shower may be your best bet.

Back