How do you know if a product is working on your natural hair?

Country gal

I know it is a stupid question but I have been trying different products since transitioning. With relaxed hair it was easier for me to determine if a product worked well on my hair. With natural hair it is hard for me to tell because I have 4a hair and sometimes it doesn't show shine. It feels soft regardless of what product I use so I was wondering what signs should I be looking for in determining to keep a product or not.

That's a great question!!! I went through the same issue myself until I figured this out...

It works IF your hair feels just as soft the next morning. You'll definitely notice this when you "wash" your hair again... if the water hits it and it feels like a brillo pad, the product wasn't a good one.

The way I finally realized it was when I tried a product (Asha's Heavenly Hair Pudding), went to bed, woke up and my hair was super soft! It hadn't been that way with a lot of other products, but I just assumed that was because of my normal tossing and turning at night.

So now that's my standard, since I know it's possible for my hair to stay soft for at least two days without having to reapply a product.

Okay, so I didn't think about that. How often do you applie products? My stylist told me with twists to not use to many products because it weighs it down. I popped out my twists so I will probably wash it this weekend.

I apply products probably every day, or every two days... but that's because my main style is a shake-and-go, so I wet my hair every day (or every two days if I'm lazy).

I honestly don't know much about twists, etc..., and I guess it would be harder to tell if a product is working for you if you are washing once a week. But I guess you still could know because the twists probably lock the moisture product in your hair anyway and you'd get to see if your hair still feels soft and moisturized when you take your twists down.

I'm still trying to figure it out as well, Sbaker, but basically I can tell by the softness factor. When I try a new product lately, I'll only put it on a section of my hair to compare it to the rest of my hair. Also, I tried a deep conditioning treatment yesterday that consisted of mixing conditioner, olive oil, honey and coconut oil and I could tell that my hair really like it, because it actually had lots of sheen after I rinsed it out and it airdryed. With no other products applied!

So, I would say softness and sheen is a good indicator, but it depends on your hairtype. I still don't know what my hair type is.... :spinning:

A condition is good if when I rinse the hairs slip and straighten a bit when in the shower. The comb glides though easily.
A leave-in is good if when I touch my hair, it doesn't crunch, if feels soft and cool and light- I don't like when it gets heavy with product.
I have too much on my hair or the product doesn't agree, my hair is hard and crunchy.
I'm currently apply aloe vera, humectress and a few drops of WGHO mixed together on my twist every other day
Oh, an my hair doesn't shine w/o oil sheen.

I have to agree with Bunny77 about how your hair feels when you wake up the next day and also how does you hair feel when you go to wash it again. If the water hits your hair and it feels dry and brittle, that is a good indicator that it is not working and giving your hair what it needs. But if you hair feels soft it should be a keeper!

I want 2 hear the responses 2 this one...
I can't tell whats doing what any more. My hair juts feels soft from each product. I think the above comment about how it feels the next day is a good sign 2 look out for.

For me, I know somethings working when my hair has a nice sheen-doesn't look too dry. Also if my ends don't feel crispy. Also, if my hair lays/or stands up a certain way, I can tell whether I like a product or not. HTH

Back