How do you keep your length moisturized?

inthepink

Keeping my natural hair moisturized is easy for me b/c it is close to my scalp. However, I am having a hard time keeping my relaxed hair moisturized b/c it is my "length."

How do you moisturize your length? I always notice at the end of the day that the length is what's dry. I know I don't pay "enough" attention to the length after the co wash/after wash procedures. So now I'm trying to be more careful and pay more attention.

P.S. This is an issue I think I'd have even if I were all natural or all relaxed.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There has been only one thing that has worked for me...but it may be kind of premature because I only started doing this last week. But I just started using Rusk smoother leave-in after I do my CO washes and what I did was mix a little of the leave-in in my hand with an equal or more amount of avocado butter and put that on my ends before I put it up. When it dried, it was nice and soft. I think any moisturizing leave-in would probably work. I'm gonna try it with my shealoe butter next time to see how that works.

If i wear it straight then I will just take it down from the night before and add a creamy leavein or serum and some light oil. For curly I just mist with water/oil mix and seal with oil or cover with serum and oil.

What about a non-petroleum based grease/pomade (i.e. CD hair butter, Kemi oyl shea butter pomade, Hollywood Beauty Castor Oil) on the last few inches? Also, using products on your damp hair (after washing) such as olive oil and EQP Mango Butter, help to seal in the moisture.

When my hair is wet: Motions Nourish Leave-in (this is a watery leave-in, I remember watery leave-ins do not work well for u).
When my hair is dry: I just started using Pantene R&N Daily Oil Moisturizer. I used to use Motions Hair Lotion Oil Moisturizer...both have done great with moisturizing my hair
smile.gif

When my hair is wet, damp, or dry: I apply Profective RootHealth to my scalp and new growth, and oils and a glossing polish to my ends.

[ QUOTE ]
nurseN98 said:
There has been only one thing that has worked for me...but it may be kind of premature because I only started doing this last week. But I just started using Rusk smoother leave-in after I do my CO washes and what I did was mix a little of the leave-in in my hand with an equal or more amount of avocado butter and put that on my ends before I put it up. When it dried, it was nice and soft. I think any moisturizing leave-in would probably work. I'm gonna try it with my shealoe butter next time to see how that works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this method.
smile.gif

I guess my question isn't really "WHAT" do you use...but more "HOW" do you use it...meaning, do you section your hair off and apply it with a brush when it's dry? Do you just take the moisturizer in your hand and rub it through?

It's easy to moisturize hair near the scalp b/c you just part and apply but it's more difficult to moisturize length b/c it isn't laying on anything. Get what I mean?

Oh, I see...I section mine off while wet and use my hands. I put oil on both hands and then oil down the length of my hair with the hair between both hands...sort of like I clap them with the hair in the middle then smooth that part down with the moisturizer. Then, once it's dry or mostly dry, I pull it all to the back and coat my palms with oils and rub it through the bottom of my hair--which by that time, feels dry again. Is that making sense? I hope so...and that it answers the question
ohwell.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:
I guess my question isn't really "WHAT" do you use...but more "HOW" do you use it...meaning, do you section your hair off and apply it with a brush when it's dry? Do you just take the moisturizer in your hand and rub it through?

It's easy to moisturize hair near the scalp b/c you just part and apply but it's more difficult to moisturize length b/c it isn't laying on anything. Get what I mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

I section my hair with my hands or a comb and then moisturize thw section with my hands from root to ends. Then I use a comb for smoothing or even distribution. HTH!
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Poohbear said:
[ QUOTE ]
hairlove said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I section my hair with my hands or a comb and then moisturize thw section with my hands from root to ends. Then I use a comb for smoothing or even distribution. HTH!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeap, me too.
smile.gif

Ok - thanks guys. I guess there really isn't a better way to do it. I think I just need to do it more often than just after my wash. Typically, I will just do my big ponytail but I think I need to section off just as I do after I wash to make sure I get more of my hair.

Back