How do you keep your Dominican Blowout fresh?

MissJ

I need some ideas. I'm getting one tomorrow morning, and I have an interview on Monday. I want to keep the style but don't know how. I've heard some people say that they wrap theirs, but I don't know how to wrap. So, how do you keep your Domican blowout looking good?

MissJ said:
I need some ideas. I'm getting one tomorrow morning, and I have an interview on Monday. I want to keep the style but don't know how. I've heard some people say that they wrap theirs, but I don't know how to wrap. So, how do you keep your Domican blowout looking good?

I would love to know about this too! I'm getting my second blowout 2 weeks from now for graduation and I need to know how to keep it looking as fresh as possible for church the next day

Ok I never even heard of a Dominican Blowout before I came to msgboards. Doesnt it look just like a wrap or doobie?? And if so cant you just wrap it at night??

Ginsana said:
I would love to know about this too! I'm getting my second blowout 2 weeks from now for graduation and I need to know how to keep it looking as fresh as possible for church the next day

Sorry to hijack,
Ginsana, your blowout turned out really nice. And I love your pincurl method. I'll have to try that next time.
Ok back to the topic at hand.

A Dominican Blowout (origins hence Dominican Republic) a hair styling process made popular in Washington Heights Dominican women would go through to get "our" hair extremely straight as if freshly relaxed.

From what I know, to retain the body and bounce of a "Dominican Blowout" dominican women like to use pin curls. Take LARGE sections of hair and use your finger like an imaginary roller, pin curl to head with a bobby pin.

An alternative for an ultra sleek smooth look, wrap your hair. A method you can use to wrap your hair, comb your hair down as if you were going to wear a "mushroom" hair style. Part the hair as if making a center part (from crown to hairline). Depending on the direction your comfortable with (I prefer clockwise), take a wide tooth comb and comb hair around hair in a clockwise (or counterclockwise) manner. Tie down with a satin/silk scarf.

I keep it simple. I just wrap it up at night, and spray some oil sheen on it, put on a scarf and that's it. ;) It will last for a bout a week or so, unless I work out at the gym a lot, then it puffs up if I have a lot of new growth :)

I get dominican blow outs on a regular basis, and my way of maintaining my do is to wrap it. Ask them to show you how to wrap your hair when you get it done okay.

Congrats

lea5 said:
Sorry to hijack,
Ginsana, your blowout turned out really nice. And I love your pincurl method. I'll have to try that next time.

ITA. Your hair looks really nice. I have read about a few ladies here who place 4-8 rollers in the crown area with or without wrapping the edges. I guess it depends on the desired fullness and the length of your hair.

I do a variation of what chelee suggested.

I take a medium sized roller and just roll the hair in my crown area then I wrap the rest of my hair around.

If you don't know how to wrap, still use the roller in the crown area. This will leave you with two sections of hair. Take the hair on your right and pin it to the left (with several pins). Then take your hair on the left and pin it to the right. (hope this makes sense!) After I do this I spray a light oil sheen then cover with a satin cap. This will leave you with sraight hair that has bounce.

Chichi :bdance:

MissJ said:
If you don't know how to wrap... ask the stylist who does your hair!! She should be able to show you... Or just watch as they wrap the other ladies in the salon!!!!!!!!! :look:

sky_blu said:
Ok I never even heard of a Dominican Blowout before I came to msgboards. Doesnt it look just like a wrap or doobie?? And if so cant you just wrap it at night??
A Dominican Blowout is not a wrap...
It's where they blow out your roots real straight where it looks as though you just got a relaxer & you're really 12 weeks post-touch up!! :grin:
The wrap is what they do to help keep the hair straight from the humidity or the wheather as a whole!

P.S.
Buy a container (that looks like the ones that you get from the Chinese Restaurants when you buy their soup) filled with the long, black Bobby Pins. They charge you at the salon to use theirs.... :look:

DJD I have been trying to find pictures of your album showing how to do this and I can't get your password. Can you help us out?

Thanks everyone. I need to try this! I'll take pictures of the results.

DatJerseyDyme, your hair and color are so pretty!

lea5 said:
Sorry to hijack,

thanks lea5! I forgot I had pics. of that

Back