How do YOU get your weave did?

PittGirl06

Hair product junkie reloaded!
I have asked this before but oh well I'm askin' again!

Those of y'al that wear sew-in weaves, how do you get yours sewn in? Do you leave your hair hanging out? How long does it last? How long do you keep them in? How long of a weave do you wear? Also, a q ESPECIALLY for thick haired naturals...how do you make it look "real" ?

Pics appreciated!

Btw, I am braided up and will remain so untill the end of June, BUT I am thinking of what to get done at that point because I'l be going to Sicily and I want to look as fly as possible.

I have my braids in a "round the world" pattern. I keep the top out (about the size of my palm). I keep my sew in for 6-7 weeks. I use 18" natural straight machine weft.hair from www.indianhairs.com.

Nita81 said:
I have my braids in a "round the world" pattern. I keep the top out (about the size of my palm). I keep my sew in for 6-7 weeks. I use 18" natural straight machine weft.hair from www.indianhairs.com.

I wore a sew in weave for almost two years with my natural hair. At first, I left the top half of my hair out and pressed it to blend in with the weave hair. This looks the most natural, but if you live in a humid climate, it is hell keeping the natural hair as straight as the weave hair. I damaged my own hair with all the heat, because you really have no choice but to use heat every day. I think they just use horizontal braids in a zig zag pattern, depending on how long your hair is. I used 12-14 inch and 10-12 inch hair with this style.

I then started getting whole head weaves. With these types of weaves, you don't have to worry about blending, but if you have thick hair, the braiders will try to braid it really tight to keep the hair laying flat. There's just a lot more tension on your hair, so you have to worry about alopecia. It's harder to condition your hair underneath the weave this way. If you have thick hair, the weave will come out looking a little wiggy. It's also harder to hide the tracks, because there's no hair to cover it.

Still, both of these options, esp. the whole head option, is a good way to get growth because your own hair is tucked safely away. My got a lot of growth this way.

PittGirl06 said:
I have asked this before but oh well I'm askin' again!

Those of y'al that wear sew-in weaves, how do you get yours sewn in? Do you leave your hair hanging out? How long does it last? How long do you keep them in? How long of a weave do you wear? Also, a q ESPECIALLY for thick haired naturals...how do you make it look "real" ?

Pics appreciated!

Btw, I am braided up and will remain so untill the end of June, BUT I am thinking of what to get done at that point because I'l be going to Sicily and I want to look as fly as possible.

Congrats on your trip!

I'm wearing one now and it's the first full-head of weave I've had. I usually get one w/ a little hair out, but it was hard growing that section of my hair out b/c I had to use heat frequently. I tried to counteract by conditioning more and wrapping my hair at night. My weaves are usually kept in for at least two months and I don't get them too long. Anything longer than brastrap is too much for me, unless it was my real hair :) I wish I had known about full-headed weaves when I was natural, but they're great for growth. Happy growing!

Does anyone have pictures?? I want to get mine done with some out and need suggestions.

Back