How do you get rid of highlights?

Tracy_W

I had my hair highlighted in April '04 using the foil method, so the color is really just on the top portion of my hair near the crown (hope this makes sense). My hair is about 1/2 - 1 inch above brastrap. However, the highlighted portion is only on the bottom 4 inches of my hair since it has grown since last year. How do I get rid of it? I've tried using rinses, but of course they wash away after about 3 washes. My hair is naturally dark brown and the highlights are sorta bronze. I just want my hair all one color now. Would a permanent color be too harsh? Any suggestions?

TIA!

i would do a perm. color on the hightlighted parts but do not leave it on for the suggested time leave it in 5-10 min at the most

luckymonkey1307 said:
you could try a black rinse, then when it washes out, it would stain your dark brown....

I thought about this also. How long would it remain dark brown? Would I have to apply again?

msportugal said:
i would do a perm. color on the hightlighted parts but do not leave it on for the suggested time leave it in 5-10 min at the most

This sounds like a good idea. What shade should I use so that it would still match my natural color? My hair is dark brown, but it does not look black at all. I'm always confused when I look at the box of colors because I do not want my hair TOO dark.

You should use a long lasting semi permenant color like the one's from wella. They are mixed with an activator but it has an extremely low amount of peroxide in it. Semi permenant color lasts a really long time. I never had one wash completely out like a rinse does. I wouldn't do black because it may look a bit harsh depending on your skin tone. You should go for the darkest brown they have.

jaiku said:
You should use a long lasting semi permenant color like the one's from wella. They are mixed with an activator but it has an extremely low amount of peroxide in it. Semi permenant color lasts a really long time. I never had one wash completely out like a rinse does. I wouldn't do black because it may look a bit harsh depending on your skin tone. You should go for the darkest brown they have.

Thanks! I'll look into the Wella colors.

PrettyBrownEyes said:
You either have to cut them out (yikes!) or color over them with a permanent color for a long lasting effect.

Cutting is not an option...LOL! I'll try the longer lasting semi-perm color first. If that does not work, I'm moving on to the permanent.

I know that permanent colors may cause damage, but does that also apply to darker shades?

With darker shades its not as damaging. The most damage occurs when you want to go lighter because you are stripping the natural color and losing vital elements for healthy hair.

the stain would last, i have done this before, and since its actually stained it should not wash out, it didn't for me anyway, I stained my blonde highlights dark brown.

luckymonkey1307 said:
you could try a black rinse, then when it washes out, it would stain your dark brown....

Be careful using a "Black" rinse, because it can turn your hair green. You may want to use a warmer brown. I would use a semi perm or a rinse, but not a permanent color, because of possible chemical damage.

I know Glossyxlipz just colored over her highlights (I think permanantly), so you may want to pm her and check out her album.

Last edited:
If cutting is not an option, then I would color over just that part of the hair that's still highlighted with a permanent color. I wouldn't do semi-permanent b/c eventually it will come out and the color will shine through, maybe a little different from what you remember though. I did this back in May, the stylist used a semi-perm color to match the ends of my hair to the length that had grown out b/c I didn't want to cut the color out. It matched up well at the time, but now the color difference is visible again. I am going to have to color it again until I'm ready to start cutting off those portions. I personally wouldn't bother with a rinse or semi-perm color and I would suggest eventually cutting those pieces out.

Back