How do you get natural hair straight?

Country gal

I am transitioning to natural hair. So less than half of my hair is natural while the rest is permed. I blowdried my hair and flat ironed it. It was so straight. Then I went outside and that was it. It was very windy today and my hair started puffing back up.

sbaker, how long have you been transitioning?

I'm transitioning as well and broke my heat challenge by blowdrying just to get my nappy roots straight. I have about 8 weeks of new growth and it's holding up pretty good. I found that wet wrapping works pretty well too (gotta make sure it's wrapped tight and the roots are pretty straight).

Several ladies have mentioned that the ponytail method and rollersetting should get your hair straight. But when I do a rollerset, the rest of my hair is straight but not the roots.

But I'm not going to worry about having my hair straight anymore. I'm going to start doing the baggie method and braids soon. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hey, Pooh. I have been transitioning for most of the year. My last perm was Jan 30. I blowdried my hair and it was really straight for not having a perm but soon as I went outside. That was all she wrote.

Sbaker - you should really invest in a good ceramic flat iron with a heat control (I have an FHI /images/graemlins/up.gif ). If you flat ironed with some serum it after you blowdried, it would be even straighter and stand up against humidity /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also when you decide to blowdry to get your hair straight, try using a serum like NTM Healing Shine Serum or John Frieda Frizz Ease Extra Strength Serum.

When I tried to transition before, I had my hair set on rollers, my roots pressed, and then my whole head curled. It was a great deal of heat but it stayed straight /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif

Miss Brown- See that's why you need to come out on Saturday to assess my hair and help strategize.

Ladies- thanks for the advice. I didn't realize I needed serum.

I am concerned about all the heat. My purpose for going natural is to keep my hair healthy. Won't the heat damage it?

[ QUOTE ]
sbaker said:
I am concerned about all the heat. My purpose for going natural is to keep my hair healthy. Won't the heat damage it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about others but IMO, if you use heat in moderation, you'll be okay. As long as you're not using heat every day or more than once a week then you should be fine.

My cermamic flat iron on a 4 setting does the trick as long as the sections are small enuff....I have to work on perfecting my ends becasue they are extremely thick. My roots come out silky str8 and my ends come out sorta fluffy/bushy...i know its not from damaged ends.

You might have to experiment with the serums/creams that you use. Dudley's pressing creme didn't do anything for me. As soon as I straightened my hair, it immediately curled. But I had great success with pure shea butter.

[ QUOTE ]
msportugal said:
if you blowdry get the comb with the metal plate that will straighten the roots right out

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay I have the plastic comb attachment

Back