How do you evaluate serums?

daviine

I;ve noticed many people rave about certain serums. I have three myself---Fantasia IC Hair Polisher, Joico KPak Serum, and Neutrogena Triple Moisture Healing Serum.....

Other than the scent, I haven't noticed much difference in these serums (sometimes I use them when airdrying, most times on dry hair).

Should I be blowdrying my hair to notice a difference? (Rollersetting my own hair is not an option for me right now )
nono.gif

I'd like to know what makes you rave about a serum?

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
I evaluate serums by how it makes my hair feel and look.

[/ QUOTE ]

DITTO!!

In addition, I look for shine mostly when talking about serums. I really like the Keracare Silken seal alot. It was actually my NO 1 until I met Neutrogena Triple Shine. IMO this serum far surpases what a serum is suppose to do. It made my hair soft and shiney, and bouncy. But generally a serum is solely used for shine.

In order to answer your question, I'm going to tell you what makes my favorite serum, Semi di Lino Cristalli, stand out from the others that I have tried.

When I use it on my wet hair, putting a little bit on each section as I rollerset, it makes my hair come out unbelievably soft, silky, & shiny and at the same time, it's light and bouncy. My daughter has been using it also... I did a rollerset on her yesterday, and today she had her hair done in an updo, and I noticed how straight and silky her hair looked tonight (and today was rainy and wet... neither of us had any frizz whatsoever!!) (My hair was rollerset on Saturday) Even days later, my hair will still have the body and shine, just by putting a little more serum on it every morning
smile.gif

To be fair, I have not yet tried the Neutrogena Triple Moisture Serum on my hair for a rollerset. I'm totally addicted to using my Semi di Lino serum, and I honestly don't want to set my hair w/o it!!
crazy.gif
I WILL give the Neutrogena a try though, the next time I set (in 2 weeks).
smile.gif

For me, using serums on dry hair just isn't the same as "baking it in"
tongue.gif
during a rollerset... My hair just doesn't get the same effect without using heat to help it to penetrate.

So yes Daviine, if you can't use it on a rollerset, then maybe you could smooth some serum onto your DRY hair, and then run the blow dryer through your hair to make the serum penetrate your strands (much less damaging that way than blowdrying it wet)

Lindy---I was actually already planning to blowdry my hair after posting this question but I wasn't sure of one thing...what is the best way to blowdry it (best results/least damaging?)...

--wet (probably not according to your post)
--Partially dry
--completely airdried

Last week was the first time i ever used a serum. I bought Silk Elements Glossing Polish and its great on wet and dry hair. It makes my hair feel soft and smooth. I havent tried blow drying with it yet.

[ QUOTE ]
NAY007 said:
I think it is best to blow dry when your hair is already about 70% dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

smile.gif
I agree... that way the heat from the blowdryer will enable the serum to penetrate your partially dry strands. I'm sure you will be pleased with the results. (Just make sure the dryer isnt TOO hot!!
crazy.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
NAY007 said:
I think it is best to blow dry when your hair is already about 70% dry.

[/ QUOTE ]

ITA! I always did it this way when relaxed and my hair would come out straight and shiny.

I use Farouk Silk Therapy "Cure"(I think that is the name) and it is excellent, serums are great,especially with a ceramic flat iron....your hair is so soft, not greasy or sticky...and you only need a little bit..I also like the Smooth and Shine serum..it is cost effective and works just as well as the Farouk brand..

[ QUOTE ]
LABETT said:
I have not used any better than my Alfaparaf Semi Di Lino
Crystal serum.It is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm glad you agree with me on the Cristalli serum, Labett!! It really is THE BEST!!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back