How do you detangle after a twist-out?

Fine 4s

Within the past month, I did 2 'out' styles. As I prepared to wash (still in process btw, applied the ORS hair mayo since yesterday aroud 5:50PM and still have it in) I made a mental note to share this tip with you ladies, especially the naturals...

IF your flat/twist-out, flat/braid-outs remain in clumps (I don't open my hair up as much as I used. Now, I like to leave the hair a lil' clumpy reminiscent of Mwedzi's twist-outs) how do you prep on wash days after the 'out' style becomes old?

I think it's best to 'open' the hair before applying a product or braiding the hair in sections to be washed or simply washing without braids. Those clumps can make the detangling process much harder when wet so please open up the clumps before washing.

My steps:

Part hair in 2 sections
Pin one side and focus on first half
Section that half in 2 or 3 sub sections (or as many as needed to make the process easier)
* Open remaining clumps from the 'out' style GENTLY section by section
Once all the defined curls are gone or no more clumps remain, spray section with water to dampen and apply DC
Repeat for all sections

Healthy Hair Care Tips!

I soak each section of hair that I'm trying to detangle with a heaping amount of cheap V05 Moisturizing Conditioner (thank u Shidanatural youtube) and gently detangle with a wide tooth comb. Hope this helps.

:lachen:All this time I thought my hair did not like twist/ twist outs and braid outs. I just realized because of my poor detangling skills.

how long do you keep your braids or twist in before you take them out?

I soak each section of hair that I'm trying to detangle with a heaping amount of cheap V05 Moisturizing Conditioner (thank u Shidanatural youtube) and gently detangle with a wide tooth comb. Hope this helps.

I do the same, i part my hair in 4 sections using my fingers and i take a section and saturate it with whatever conditioner i am using and gently detangle. After a section is done i braid it and go on to the next.

I mist my hair with water or a vo5/water mix as I go along to make the sectioning easier. A variation of what rustic beauty uses but I section as well like what 4s does too. I bet your twist out looked scrumptious.

I always wear a twist-n-curl, and detangle using the following method:

* Thoroughly saturate hair with water in the shower, and divide into two (left and right).

* Apply conditioner of the day to both sides in a smooshing motion (usually Herbal Essence Totally Twisted).

* Pass my head back under the shower stream for a second for better distribution and added slip.

* Clip the hair up and out of the way while I complete shower rituals.

* Take down the right side and finger detangle a bit -- detangling the rest under the water stream after the big knots are out. Follow up with the left side.

* Since detangling under the stream washes away most of the conditioner, I add another glob of it to each side. I then pass my head back under the shower stream for distribution and get out of the shower.

* Make 10-12 twists- 5 or 6 on each side.

* Seal the ends. curl, and air dry

I do this once weekly, usually on Sundays.

I spray conditioner water or a detangling spray on my hair and then divide it into 4 to 6 sections.

I detangle each section at a time adding more conditioner water or a detangling spray.

I use my fingers first to detangle, finish with my wide tooth comb and then braid the section.

I then wash my hair with those same braids in.

I do it with tears and aches and pains LOL

:ohwell: You guys are so elaborate with your detangling session. I wash in two sections and finger comb out dead hair. I detangle with a wide tooth comb with Queen Helene conditioner every 6 to 7 weeks with a lot a shed hair at the end of session.

^^^ ITA. I get in the shower wet my hair, lather up, condition then detangle. I lose the same amount of hair as I do when I don't have an "out" do *shrugs*

:ohwell: You guys are so elaborate with your detangling session. I wash in two sections and finger comb out dead hair. I detangle with a wide tooth comb with Queen Helene conditioner every 6 to 7 weeks with a lot a shed hair at the end of session.
Well I dont know about all that

I just know loose hair is alot of work for me after

thats MY reality:ohwell:

eta; to the point where I dont even do it anymore, so I WOULDNT even know anymore anyway

answered in jest so to speak

I aint goin there with my hair

This is pretty much all I wear and that's been the case since June.

I re-twist every night, so my tangles are kept to a minimum. I know that because I have slept without twisting at night (1 or 2 times) and hated what I had to do to it when washing.

I don't have any broken hairs at all. By the time I wash, my hair is mostly detangled and I just have to do through it once with the shower brush as I am rinsing out my final conditioner.

So:
I finger detangle every night.
I finger detangle again when it's time to wash.
I finish detangling with my brush and get rid of shed hair in the shower, under running water with conditioner in my hair.

Easy peasy for me so far...

cj

I always wear a twist-n-curl, and detangle using the following method:

* Thoroughly saturate hair with water in the shower, and divide into two (left and right).

* Apply conditioner of the day to both sides in a smooshing motion (usually Herbal Essence Totally Twisted).

* Pass my head back under the shower stream for a second for better distribution and added slip.

* Clip the hair up and out of the way while I complete shower rituals.

* Take down the right side and finger detangle a bit -- detangling the rest under the water stream after the big knots are out. Follow up with the left side.

* Since detangling under the stream washes away most of the conditioner, I add another glob of it to each side. I then pass my head back under the shower stream for distribution and get out of the shower.

* Make 10-12 twists- 5 or 6 on each side.

* Seal the ends. curl, and air dry

I do this once weekly, usually on Sundays.

I said this before and I'll say it again, your TnC's are gorgeous. Definition and shine is unbelievable. I have to keep at it to get mine to look like this. I'm wondering if I'm running into problems because of my two textures, the top half of twist is full (natural) and the bottom half (relaxed) is limp not full.

I leave it as is, braid the hair in about 8 sections and wash while in the braids then detangle section by section while saturated with conditioner or under a stream of water, usually detangling is a breeze because its already throughly detangled from when I initially twisted it:yep:.

Last edited:
I re-twist each night (2, maybe 3 nights) and detangle with my fingers and some conditioner or moisturizer to get them back in the twists. When it's time to start over, i just hop in the shower, slap in some conditioner and detangle under running water :look:

I hope I read your post right...

Just recently I changed my regimen based on the amount of knots I was getting. Last week I wore a twist out for 2-3 days. I knew I was going to DC in a day or 2 so on the 3rd night “out” I sprayed it w/my daily moisturizing spray, sealed and twisted back up. My hair is so short that I can't just do 2 or 3 big braids and call it a day. Anyway, the next day, I applied my DC to these twists, smoothing and squeezing gently on each twist. I left it on for at least 30 minutes before rinsing out. With all of that, I KNOW each strand was saturated w/DC.

Now I redid 2 twists after rinsing and realized some of the DC was still there (this is rare) but I’m not worried b/c 1) I’m wearing the twists under a wig and 2) whats the harm in it?!?! LOL

When its wash day, I mix baking soda and/or Apple Cider Vingear and rinse through my hair while in twists. It gets ALL the DC gunk that may have been left over and I allow it to airdry. The next morning, I undo the twists and my twist out is crisp & clean! I do all of these steps weekly. So far, I LOVE IT!

Last edited:
Back