How do you clarify?

jrae

What methods do you use to clarify? Baking soda, ACV, Porosity Control, others?

TIA!

I add baking soda to my shampoo/conditioner. I remember Pokahantas stating that is what she did and I tried it. My hair LOVES it. Prior, I did ACV in water rinses 2x and it left me hair feeling TERRIBLE.

I add baking soda to my shampoo/conditioner. I remember Pokahantas stating that is what she did and I tried it. My hair LOVES it. Prior, I did ACV in water rinses 2x and it left me hair feeling TERRIBLE.

Okay, two votes for baking soda. I can't get ACV to work for me either. My face loves it but my hair hates it!

oooop2, I have questions now:

how much?
do you do this at every wash?

I try not to let my hair get to the point where I need to clarify. But when I do, I just use a clarifying shampoo. I find that it doesn't much matter which one. I usually go for the cheapest one I can get...like V05. It works fine.

Suave clarifying shampoo. I then use some type of moisturizing shampoo or a deep conditioner afterwards. I never only clarify, because my hair would feel like straw I'm sure.

Okay, two votes for baking soda. I can't get ACV to work for me either. My face loves it but my hair hates it!

oooop2, I have questions now:

how much?
do you do this at every wash?

one tablespoon of Baking soda to 16 oz of distilled water.

Some people have swithed completely to this method...Which means - it is safe to use weekly.
I don't but I know others who do.

I just tried this tonite and I may say that my scalp hasn't felt this clean and fresh in a while! It feels great! Not bad for a 38 cent box of baking soda.

Exactly! A heck of alot cheaper thanthose Fancy expensive shampoos that make more promises than politicians....

one tablespoon of Baking soda to 16 oz of distilled water.

Some people have switched completely to this method...Which means - it is safe to use weekly. I don't but I know others who do.

Okay, thanks everybody. I'll have to use the baking soda for now because I joined that dang "Buy NOTHING in May" challenge and I'm already being challenged. :wallbash:

I just tried this tonite and I may say that my scalp hasn't felt this clean and fresh in a while! It feels great! Not bad for a 38 cent box of baking soda.

It got all of that gunky build-up off of my hair and scalp. I'm going to use this once a week and co-wash atleast 3X a week. Do you think this is too much?

Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo
aub%20green%20tea%20shampoo.jpg

I regularly use Kenra Clarifying Chelating shampoo because I have hard water. It is not enough though. I find that my hair benefits from using ION Clarifying Crystal therapy once every other week. It really gets rid of hard water build up and makes my hair shinier.

My hair never gets dry or stripped either.

I use Suave Green Apple Shampoo with about a tblsp of baking soda to clarify. I've been using the same bottle of shampoo for over a yr now & could probably get 2-3 more clarifying washes out of it!

Clarifying leaves my hair squeaky clean and sometimes that's what I want but i've noticed a huge difference when I chelate with ORS Aloe shampoo. My hair doesn't feel stripped, but still super clean.

Last edited:
For those of you with relaxers, does the baking soda (if you have ever tried it) work better than the shampoo or vice versa?

Back