How do you bunning ladies save your EDGES?

FAMUDva

Ok, so I SAID I was protective styling until December to get to the elusive APL and beyond, BUT today when I was flying back from work, I took a look in the mirror in the public bathroom. I was completely disappointed with what I saw.

Yes, my hair is really moisterized (thanks to recommendations here), and I've been using a creamy mosterizer and then sealing with oil daily, sometimes 2X a day and just brushing back with a boar bristle brush. I wash once a week usually and only comb when I wash...

My problem with what I saw is my edges seem thinner to me! I hated it so much that I stopped by the BSS to buy a new dryer soft bonnet (hard dryer broke this weekend), some end papers, and wrapping foam. I came home and shampooed/conditioned my hair and set it on flexi rods. How will I be able to wear buns for 3 months and STILL have my edges in tact in the front?

How do y'all do it? I didn't think I was pulling my hair too tight and only wrap my satin band around max twice.

Maybe it's the brushing. I've completely stopped brushing my hair, but that's just me.

OR it could be the relaxer. Maybe the hair on your edges are too fragile to handle the intensity of a relaxer. Do you apply the relaxer there last? Maybe the strength is too much? It could be a number of things.

Try paying extra close attention to your edges, moisturize it more -- maybe castor oil might help. I've read where others are saying that it helps to thicken up the hair. HTH.

secretdiamond said:
Maybe it's the brushing. I've completely stopped brushing my hair, but that's just me.

OR it could be the relaxer. Maybe the hair on your edges are too fragile to handle the intensity of a relaxer. Do you apply the relaxer there last? Maybe the strength is too much? It could be a number of things.

Try paying extra close attention to your edges, moisturize it more -- maybe castor oil might help. I've read where others are saying that it helps to thicken up the hair. HTH.

How can you put your hair in a neat bun without brushing? Just curious.... I've already succumbed to giving up combing, but how on earth can one give up combing and brushing? BTW, my brush is very very soft bristle... It's not even medium firmness.

I don't do my own relaxers... but the last one I had was an Elastica QP Sensitve scalp and my stylist relaxed maybe 75-80% straight. I've NEVER had a problem with thinning edges before LHCF. I've been seeing the same stylist for 6 yrs, so I doubt that she is doing anything harmful. I don't burn with scalp lesions, etc. Not saying it couldn't happen, but since it had never happened in 30 yrs with 6 of those years using the same stylist, I highly doubt it. The ony change I've made since I've been seeing this is LHCF and trying to incorporate some of the tactics the recommended by some of the ladies; like protective styling with Buns. I may have to lay off the buns :(

ETA: Thanks so much for responding :)

Last edited:
I wore my hair braided w/o extensions in this really neat cornrow style. Unfortunately, my edges suffered. My mom suggested Sulfur 8, but I hate the smell. Well, Sulfur 8 has a grease for children. It is called Sulfur 8 Medicated: Anti-Dandruff Hair and Scalp Conditioner for Childern ages 2 to 12. I just apply the grease to my edges and it is helping my edges to recover (I think it is the sulfur). Plus the smell is not as pungent as the original formula. I hope this helps.

Well as far as the brushing. If you have a really soft brush, then it shouldn't matter. The way I do it is that I use my hands, moisturizer, and wide tooth comb to put it into a pony. It helps for the mornings when I moisturize at night then put the scarf on. Then in the morning, I moisturize again and since it's already in the style I want it, I simply have to put on my clip and "polish it" by taking a smaller toothed comb and glide it over the top of my hair while using my hands to smooth. This usually does the trick.

If I'm several months post, I'll then put a scarf over it again and finish getting ready. Also, I'll mist it with some water before applying moisturizer the night before to help lay down the new growth. My hair always looks done and polished and moisturized. But remember, this is only my personal preference. The hair on my edges I find to be very fragile.

Okay, if it's not the brush or the relaxer, what about what you are using to put your hair into the ponytail/bun? Maybe you can try the pantyhose idea from Sistaslick that I just love.

I'm sorry if this doesn't help. Like you said, maybe buns just aren't for you. What other protective styles do you have in mind to use?

ETA: I feel you on the no combing thing. I remember when I first joined and saw people like Isis saying that they only combed once a week, I was like 'How in the hell does that work?!" :lol: Now, it's the only way for me. lol.

Last edited:
It's easy:

Stop brushing-Use a find tooth comb and RAKE the edges. Not comb, but RAKE them into place. If you feel ANY tucking orpulling your are not raking correctly. It might take a little bit longer but it is def. worth it!

Find a good silk scarf- I use this to secure my hair down at night. I even do it during the day when I need a "touch up.'

And stop doing those too tight buns- My buns NEVER EVER feel pressure on my sides. If you feel any pressure (IMO) you need to loosen the bun, it's really not that serious

hmm.. i don't bun so i really can't help you. i wear a lot of ponytails though so i'm guessing no brushing and moisturizing should help. they've worked for me so far.

Moisturize your edges, and make sure not to pull your hair back too tightly.
If you want your edges to get thicker try using castor oil on your edges once a day or every other day.

HTH

secretdiamond said:
Well as far as the brushing. If you have a really soft brush, then it shouldn't matter. The way I do it is that I use my hands, moisturizer, and wide tooth comb to put it into a pony. It helps for the mornings when I moisturize at night then put the scarf on. Then in the morning, I moisturize again and since it's already in the style I want it, I simply have to put on my clip and "polish it" by taking a smaller toothed comb and glide it over the top of my hair while using my hands to smooth. This usually does the trick.

If I'm several months post, I'll then put a scarf over it again and finish getting ready. Also, I'll mist it with some water before applying moisturizer the night before to help lay down the new growth. My hair always looks done and polished and moisturized. But remember, this is only my personal preference. The hair on my edges I find to be very fragile.

Okay, if it's not the brush or the relaxer, what about what you are using to put your hair into the ponytail/bun? Maybe you can try the pantyhose idea from Sistaslick that I just love.

I'm sorry if this doesn't help. Like you said, maybe buns just aren't for you. What other protective styles do you have in mind to use?

ETA: I feel you on the no combing thing. I remember when I first joined and saw people like Isis saying that they only combed once a week, I was like 'How in the hell does that work?!" :lol: Now, it's the only way for me. lol.

Thanks so much for the ideas girl! I'm using a satin elastic and the ouchless bands most of the time. Occasionally I use a scrunch that can't wrap, just holds the pony in place. I also have accessories.

MizaniMami said:
It's easy:

Stop brushing-Use a find tooth comb and RAKE the edges. Not comb, but RAKE them into place. If you feel ANY tucking orpulling your are not raking correctly. It might take a little bit longer but it is def. worth it!

Find a good silk scarf- I use this to secure my hair down at night. I even do it during the day when I need a "touch up.'

And stop doing those too tight buns- My buns NEVER EVER feel pressure on my sides. If you feel any pressure (IMO) you need to loosen the bun, it's really not that serious

Thanks. :)

I've been bunning most days for over a year. I make my buns very loose, which has gotten easier as my hair gets longer. I also don't use a brush or even a comb to make my buns. (My comb is only used when I am in the shower with conditioner in my hair.) I just rake my fingers through my hair to get the hair into a ponytail/bun. Then once I have all my hair in my fist, I deliberately loosen it up a lot and make my bun with a satin scrunchie. I make my buns when my hair is damp or I spray my hair with distilled water before putting it up. :)

I am afraid of having thinning edges from pulling my hair back. If I get this new job than I will need to wear my hair back in a bun.

I bun for months at a time and my edges have never looked better. I rinse the front of my hair every morning and slick back with a tooth brush(I know, sounds weird) but a soft tooth brush is great for edges. Granted, I add MTG(and Mango Butter) to my edges almost every other day but my temple hair is 2". Short for some, but it was always just a tiny curl now it just goes back with the rest of my hair. My goal is to grow my edges to 4"(and I do mean the hair on the forehead)...:look:

I found that stretching my relaxers and relaxing the hairline at the very end helpd my edges to fill in.

You need to find a good slicking product if you want to stay away from the brush. My favorites are Beyond the zone stiff head and elasta glaze.

Before moving to Arizona, I hadn't used a brush in three years while protective styling. When I got out here I started using a brush for 1 1/2 months and it showed... at my edges :shocked:

I immediately threw the brush away and went back to my old way of bunning:

1. wash or co-wash hair
2. add leave-in conditioner, then grease, and curl activator gel
3. put hair in ponytail and secure with a scarf. Leave on for 30 minutes

the activator gel really accentuates my waves (I am tex-laxed). Hope this helps (HTH).

I know many ladies here who dont use the brush. (as you have seen some in this thread also.) This is my goal one day. (or go move down to a soft toothbrush for the edges.) Right now, I can't give up my brush. I use a very soft boar bristle brush to just kinda rake over my hair once I take my scarf off. I never brush hard and using the mango butter and Beyond The Zone Stiff head, My edges are looking so much better.

**I did loose a lot of hair around my edges from a 'professional' beautician back in May. I have nursed them back to health. I have my edges relaxed last now.

A stylist told me years ago to throw away my brush and if I felt that I really needed one to use a baby brush cause you are not supposed to feel the brush on your scalp and that a brush is meant to smooth the top of your hair not to pull thru the entire head all the way to the scalp. Best advice one ever gave me. I'm glad that LHCF shares that thought. Like the other ladies said throw that brush away or if you must brush get one that's baby soft.

I bun a lot and since I was air drying for 3 months I would pull my hair into a loose bun while wet and rake with comb to smoot the edges. Before I tied my scarf I put WGO all along my edges "just in case". I'm happy to report that I have not had any thinning.

Don't bun too tight
Wash my edges with Paul Mitchelle tea tree shampoo. I swear this stuff helps my edges
Carrot oil
I also let my hair down when I get home to breathe. I just clip it up lightly.

I've also noticed thinning edges, from wearing my hair back in a phony pony. I never pull too tightly. I also use a brush, but I MUST. I have too much hair (including 2 textures) not to use a brush. So I just decided to give the pony tail a rest and wear it out more. :ohwell:

I can only go without using a brush for a pony tail, if my hair is already straightened out, but not if I just washed it or let it airdry.

My hair lies down with water, so I just spritz it with water at night and tie it down with a scarf. If my hair looks dry, I will use a watery leave in (biolage) mixed with oil, or something heavier like (alcohol free) gel. If I need extra smoothing (which is hardly ever), I use a fine tooth comb to rake over the top a little, but I hardly ever do this. I've been wearing my hair back forever. If my edges start to look thin---after I spritz my hair with water at night, I use castor oil around the edges, and then, put on the scarf.

Back